It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don Cherry fired from ‘hockey night in Canada’ over discriminatory remarks on TV

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: UpIsNowDown

Apparently he's mad at new Canadians not wearing the poopy. Im sorry but thats just a silly thing to get mad about. I doubt they even know what it means. And if so that's our job as old school Canadians to teach them.

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I feel a bit bad for him, he said in an interview he wanted to amend his remarks from that night, but was given the boot regardless. I guess Sportsnet wanted to move him along anyway.

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

As was said previously he's been on a tight leash for years. He's been rubbing people the wrong way over and over and this was the straw.

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: vonclod
I feel a bit bad for him, he said in an interview he wanted to amend his remarks from that night, but was given the boot regardless. I guess Sportsnet wanted to move him along anyway.

He must have said a couple of different things in interviews then. I read yesterday that he said he wouldn’t change a thing and that was part of the problem. 🤷🏻‍♀️

It’s in a link I posted earlier.

There seems to be quite a few who think his time and his type of ‘flavour’ has long expired.. and they could be right. He was mostly there for sh**** and giggles and to display his loud suits that seemed to go so well with his loud personality. Yet he was loved as an icon of hockey and I for one shall miss the ol’ curmudgeon.

ETA: I also need to add that I think it was below low of Sportnet to do the ‘deed’ on Remembrance Day. A day that means so much to Don, and a day he was trying to get new Canadians to honour.

edit on 12-11-2019 by Sheye because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 07:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye
He did say a few different things on it, I heard he had no interest in a straight up apology, but that he did wish to explain, and he did say, he could of worded it better.

I think with ratings down, and the fact he made good money, Sportsnet were wondering what to do with him..then this.

He is a character, and will be missed by far more than wanted him gone.

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Joecanada11
I don't think that any kind of majority wanted him gone, it was a knee jerk reaction..it is what it is.

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

He is a character, and will be missed by far more than wanted him gone.

A colourful character indeed, and I agree.. he will be missed by many. I wonder if some other gig could come along for him ? 🤷🏻‍♀️ He’s only 85.. still has spunk.. neva say neva. 😏

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 07:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Sheye
I would not be surprised at if he got offers. I don't know that he would stray far from his passion(hockey)

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 12:28 PM
link   
This is exactly how I feel about it.

www.msn.com...

posted on Nov, 16 2019 @ 01:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: one4all
This is exactly how I feel about it.

www.msn.com...

Thanks for adding that article. It was well written with some very solid points. He did deserve so much better as a legend of Hockey. I totally understand why you and others feel the way you do.

posted on Nov, 17 2019 @ 03:29 AM
link   
To fire him on Remembrance Day, which he spoke about from the heart, all the time, was truly disgusting, and disrespectful to both Cherry, and to all those who died for our freedom, in both World Wars, most of all. What kind of slimebags would deliberately pick this day, where we pay our respects to those who died for us...is sickening to even imagine.

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 06:41 AM
link   

edit on 12/6/2019 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2019 @ 06:43 AM
link   

edit on 12/6/2019 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join