It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Netflix & HBO may require thumbprint sign in

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 03:35 PM
link   
www.bloomberg.com...

If none of those tactics work, pay-TV subscribers could someday be required to sign into their accounts using their thumbprints.
“If you ask any cohort of young people if they will ever pay for Netflix or video services, the answer is unequivocally no,” said Mike McCormack, an analyst at Guggenheim Securities.

Yep folks because young people don't want to pay, us old honest folks have to jump through hoops.
This is a huge issue and is only going to grow. I'm already annoyed that I have to reactivate showtime every other week.
Cable was expensive and I was happy to get rid of it, but these streaming services are getting annoying.

It will be interesting to see how they try to enforce this. Just watch things change in 2020.
Disney is getting on board and we know how they are with pirating.

edit on 11-11-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 03:39 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

One question where will the thumb prints be stored, who has access to them and how can they be used against a person?

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Who cares? All of the companies you listed are getting too “woke” for my tastes. The only service I use now is Hulu.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 03:54 PM
link   

How long will it take for the TV industry to catch up to this craziness?

How many TVs or projectors have fingerprint scanners?

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 03:55 PM
link   
How are they going to implement that? none of my devices have a print reader.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 03:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: scolai
Who cares?

I agree. If people don't like this then find something else. People have choice.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

Who cares?

I agree. If people don't like this then find something else. People have choice.

You might not care now, but what do you want to bet this will transition to other things.
They are just testing the waters.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 03:59 PM
link   

"Could" "Someday."

So long as I can still log in to Steam with a blood sample, I'm good.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Honestly I don't know how they would work the logistics of a thumbprint sign-in system on all the streaming devices used for their services. I can see it working on phones and laptops but I'm really not seeing how it would work on Firesticks, Roku, Logitechs, Smart TVs, etc.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 04:00 PM
link   
lolll wait till they can print out youre fingerprints with special 3d printers...
goldmine fore justice and criminals

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ressiv
lolll wait till they can print out youre fingerprints with special 3d printers...

Pretty sure flags will be up if your thumbprint scans in New York and California within 30 min of each other.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: paraphi

Who cares?

You might not care now, but what do you want to bet this will transition to other things.
They are just testing the waters.

This will be used in many facets. I can see it now — “(insert name) was cleared of murder charges due to logging in to Netflix 30 miles away from the crime scene.”

That is the only positive side to this scenario. All other scenarios lead to a police state and a totalitarian government.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: ressiv

lolll wait till they can print out youre fingerprints with special 3d printers... goldmine fore justice and criminals

Elliot did that on the most recent episode of Mr. Robot and it worked like a charm to access the server room so he could hack it...

lol

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Who cares? All of the companies you listed are getting too “woke” for my tastes. The only service I use now is Hulu.

Disney is the primary shareholder of Hulu.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 04:09 PM
link   
When my fingerprint, phone #,any other unnecessary info is required, the account gets cancelled.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I think they are testing the water here, but I doubt they will like what they find. I know for me personally, before I had a paid Netflix, Amazon or Hulu account, I used my father's account for a small period of time, then I decided I liked it enough to subscribe for myself. And I think a lot of people do use other people's logins for a similar reason, just seeing if it's worth their money. I know they all give free trials, but you must enter your card info and if you don't cancel on time you automatically get charged. Which is fine, it says that will happen, but it's just all a PITA if you end up not liking it. So as a result, I believe they'll see less new subscribers over time. not to mention having to buy more expensive player and tvs with fingerprint readers..

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: ressiv

I bet it can be done right now easily with a 3D pen, just use a little imagination and your good to go.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 04:17 PM
link   
If I hadn’t already cancelled Netflix over the Obama deal and HBO for their liberal bias I would be canceling them for this BS.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 04:25 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

EXACTLY!

I watch on a 7 inch and a 10 inch tablet and both are in cases. I use a stick on the television and last time I checked there wasn't a finger scanner on it.

Like I'm going to take them out of the case, scan a fingerprint and put them back in to watch something I'll probably stop watching after 5 minutes. Give me a break.

posted on Nov, 11 2019 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: billxam
a reply to: vonclod

EXACTLY!

I watch on a 7 inch and a 10 inch tablet and both are in cases. I use a stick on the television and last time I checked there wasn't a finger scanner on it.

Like I'm going to take them out of the case, scan a fingerprint and put them back in to watch something I'll probably stop watching after 5 minutes. Give me a break.

At one point phones didn't have a finger scanner either....
They would implement it by changing hardware for new users, it would be phased in, until all units are compliant.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join