It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Settle this melted cheese sandwich argument

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Cheese Toastie would be from a Cheese Toastie Maker.

Cheese Toastie Makers (Warning - link to Amazon!)

Sticking 2 bits of bread and cheese in a toaster would only ever make sense at 3am after a heavy days drinking......

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Where are you all living???? Of course you can do cheese on toast, or a cheese toastie in a toaster. Listen carefully:- all you do is turn the toaster on its side job done. And it's cheese on toast when the bread is toasted then the cheese is put on top and put under the grill to melt it or in a side ways toaster.

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 10:34 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Personally, I say grilled cheese but I've heard both. I think it might be a regional thing.

Since toasters were brought up, let's talk about how toast was made before toasters.

The practice of toasting bread became popular in the Roman Empire. The word “toast” actually comes from the Latin “tostum,” which means “to burn or scorch.” The first breads were likely toasted by laying them in front of the fire on a hot stone. Later, simple devices were created to toast bread in the fire, such as wire frames to cook the toast more evenly, or even sticks like those we use to toast marshmallows over a campfire today.

Link
They actually still sell frames that you can put bread into and toast over a campfire.

Let's also look at the definition of the word "toast".

to brown, as bread or cheese, by exposure to heat

Link
Let's also look at the definition of the word "grill".

to broil on a grill also : to fry or toast on a griddle

Link
So, yeah, either is technically correct.
edit on 12-11-2019 by Skid Mark because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 11:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
I just remembered something grilled cheese related. One of my ex-wives used mayonnaise on the bread instead of butter when she made grilled cheese sandwiches.
Anyone else ever heard of that?

I do it all the time for grilled sandwiches. If you think about it, mayo's just egg yolks and oil with a little lemon juice. Sort of like using an egg dip for a Monte Cristo only not as batter-y. It works well.

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

Chesse toastie if made in a toastie machine.

Grilled cheese sandwich if made under the grill.

Cheese on toast if bread done in toaster.

Nailed it there mate.
I've added mayo before but also like to mix the cheese variety up a bit and sometimes grind on a bit of chilli and garlic salt just to give it a bit of a kick.

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 02:34 AM
link   

It's NOT tuna fish, it's just tuna. Tuna fish is redundant but try telling people that and they always look at me funny.

I'm right, like always but no one ever listens to me for some reason.

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Just to muddy the waters.....

When I was in rehab getting back the strength to walk again, brush my teeth, etc., a therapist taught me how to make a "grilled" cheese sandwich by toasting the bread. Yep, with a toaster. After it's toasted, you butter it, put on the cheese and then microwave it for a short bit to melt the cheese. So yes. You can make a grilled cheese sandwich with a toaster. LOL!

posted on Nov, 13 2019 @ 10:21 PM
link   

I mean, it's grilled cheese.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 09:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheSpanishArcher

It's NOT tuna fish, it's just tuna. Tuna fish is redundant but try telling people that and they always look at me funny.

I'm right, like always but no one ever listens to me for some reason.

Of course you are correct!
When they look at you funny, ask them if they order Chilean Sea Bass Fish, flounder fish, salmon fish or the like when they go to a restaurant.

posted on Nov, 14 2019 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

Yep, it's actually a good way to do a grilled cheese with a little something extra. I do them this way sometimes, but good ol' BUTTAH is my favorite!

Now, if we really wanted to settle this debate, we'd start posting the correct ways to make all of these different variations of sammiches. However, this is the Chit Chat forum and not the Food forum, so I guess this would be in bad form.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join