It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

at the 11th hour , on the 11th day , of the 11th month ... we shall remember them

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2019 @ 04:50 AM
link   
there is nothing more to add ...............

edit on 10-11-2019 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2019 @ 05:07 AM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

Indeed!

P

posted on Nov, 10 2019 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Every last one of us!

posted on Nov, 10 2019 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Even after all these years I still have to wipe away a tear when Nimrod is played.

posted on Nov, 10 2019 @ 05:31 AM
link   

Do we really remember them? Or did the second round come too swiftly and superimpose its own stupendous grief?

Cheers

posted on Nov, 10 2019 @ 05:37 AM
link   
But....its the 10th.

posted on Nov, 10 2019 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Lousy Smarch weather...

posted on Nov, 10 2019 @ 06:26 AM
link   
Unable to make it to my local war memorial this morning......

We will remember them.

posted on Nov, 10 2019 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Yes, lets glorify war and celebrate the massacre of millions of people... Its obviously a completely rational thing to do.

posted on Nov, 10 2019 @ 06:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

It's not intended to glorify war....it's to honour the people, of all nations, who have served and the sacrifices they made.

Some things transcend national borders and political ideology.

If you can't see and respect that then I fear that says far more about you as an individual than it does anything else.

posted on Nov, 10 2019 @ 07:03 AM
link   
God bless you...and I was proud to serve so that even fools like you can speak freely without fear of the gestspo.

posted on Nov, 10 2019 @ 07:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

It's not intended to glorify war....it's to honour the people, of all nations, who have served and the sacrifices they made.

That by definition, is glorifying war.

I get it though, its an extremely controversial opinion, on my part. But I think this whole remembrance day, or ANZAC day (which we celebrate in Australia) nonsense is a case where our hearts are in the right place, but our rational thought process is totally out of whack.

imo, there's nothing to be proud about of any war that's occurred. In every single case its a scenario that should have never have happened in the first place and is something that us humans as a whole, should be deeply ashamed about... rather than "honour" it.
edit on 10-11-2019 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2019 @ 07:17 AM
link   

It's not about the wars....it's about the people.

You obviously do NOT get it.

And instead of letting us remember them with honour and dignity you choose to disrespect.

I get that you have a different opinion, one that even seems reasoned and well intentioned.....but today is not the day for that discussion.....today is the day to honour and respect ALL those who have served and the sacrifices THEY made and not the politicians and Kings and Queens and Presidents and their nefarious scheming.

Start a thread on a different day and I'll be more than glad to contribute.

posted on Nov, 10 2019 @ 07:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I can respect Subaeruginosa's comment and your explanation at the same time.

But in this day of information we cannot be so naive and say that war was not about borders resources and loot.

The sacrifice they made was ultimately for bankers, rulers, despots.

When these "war plotters" send their own children to die in war wake me up!

posted on Nov, 10 2019 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Bears repeating

imo, there's nothing to be proud about of any war that's occurred. In every single case its a scenario that should have never have happened in the first place and is something that us humans as a whole, should be deeply ashamed about... rather than "honour" it.

posted on Nov, 10 2019 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Ayoub

I am not naïve and never said that war's aren't 'about borders resources and loot'.
I said today isn't about that.....it's about respecting and honouring all those who served and the sacrifices that THEY made.

There's absolutely no need to politicise Remembrance Sunday.

posted on Nov, 10 2019 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
Yes, lets glorify war and celebrate the massacre of millions of people... Its obviously a completely rational thing to do.

The servicemen and women we honour today is for the sacrifice they made.

These people we honour did not start the wars. They only obeyed.

posted on Nov, 10 2019 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa

Was the intent of most every young man or woman who volunteered or answered the call to duty righteous? Yes. They did what they thought was right, in many cases they didn't have a choice.

We can honor their sacrifice while disagreeing with geo political decisions.

Some of those wars ensured we have the rights and responsibility to speak as we do now, lest we not forget.
edit on 10-11-2019 by CriticalStinker because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2019 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Was the intent of most every young man or woman who volunteered or answered the call to duty righteous?

In the instance of the Vietnam war there were conscientious objectors and those who dodged the draft. They saw the futility of interference in overseas postings when their country was not under threat. And yet they were hounded and punished.

Who respected their intent or decision?

posted on Nov, 10 2019 @ 08:17 AM
link   

If you really understood, and if everyone did, then you wouldn't be saying what you are saying.

This war was unlike any other war that ever happened, and hopefully will ever happen again.

The world was radically changed by this war. An entire generation of young men were maimed or killed. The eyes of the world were opened to see the destructive power, and the futility of war. Especially modern war.

I am a pacifist, and antiwar. This day should serve as a reminder, not of the glory of war, but of the devastation, and yes the sacrifice by patriotic (by modern standards, stupid fools to go along with the slaughter) men.

This day should be talked about more than it is. So much of our world now was shaped by this war, like the flu pandemic that killed 50 million people. To this day people are stupid enough to get poisoned by a flu shot because they can't see that the pandemic was caused by the miserable conditions the soldiers were in, which is where it started (see CDC website), and the miserable conditions of the entire world coming back from such a devastating war.

Every year we should remember the devastation caused. Every time you see 11:11 you should remember that mankind has a penchant for evil. We should remember that our leaders kept pouring the souls of helpless boys into the meat grinder. If they made it out at all, they were likely mutilated physically or psychically. Think of the devastation of the generations that followed, by having fathers and brothers, and leaders, that were brain damaged from the shelling, and from the horrors they lived through.

We must remember

<<   2 >>

join