It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I hope this isn't true

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
The US military is funding development of a weapon that delivers a bout of excruciating pain from up to 2 kilometres away. Intended for use against rioters, it is meant to leave victims unharmed. But pain researchers are furious that work aimed at controlling pain has been used to develop a weapon. And they fear that the technology will be used for torture.

"I am deeply concerned about the ethical aspects of this research," says Andrew Rice, a consultant in pain medicine at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital in London, UK. "Even if the use of temporary severe pain can be justified as a restraining measure, which I do not believe it can, the long-term physical and psychological effects are unknown."

www.newscientist.com...

I hope these are banned. We live in a democracy. Stop wasting our tax money on pulse weapons to shoot at us!

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Well I'd say that if these "rioters" are being violent or causing damage to property then go ahead and use it. I've been near violent riots and they're totally out of control and dangerous. Many innocent people are often injured in the chaos, including the law enforcement officers there to protect them. I can't imagine they'd be using this weapon for peaceful protests.

And torture? There are plenty of cheaper ways to torture someone. And what's the purpose of torturing someone 2 kilometers away? Sounds painful but I suppose it's better than getting shot.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Your reaction to this is typical liberal b.s. mate. A weapon like this would be an excellent replacement for guns (which your kind also says shouldn't be used). Wouldn't it be better to stun a criminal with temporary pain than shooting them? I think developement of this type should be praised not debased.

Consider this, a couple of months ago a 13 year old juvenial deliquent, in a stolen car, attempted to run down officers attempting to stop him. The officers shot him, in defense of their own lives, and have been ridiculed, suspened and are being investigated. This is a horrible situation for them to be in. I am sure they did not want to kill anyone that day and now they have that guilt to deal with as well as public outcry against them. Wouldn't it have been better if they had this pain inducing weapon at their disposal?
I think so.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   
whats next Electro Magnetic Pulses ?

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I'm just afraid this could be used in the wrong way. We need less weapons, not more. Government wastes so much of our money. Rubber bullets work just fine if you ask me.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Any weapon created can be used "the wrong way." The same can be said for any invention. Every medicine, every technological advance, everything can be twisted in some way. Does that mean we should stop improving? No. We just have to do the best we can to maintain intended purpose.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mr No One
Your reaction to this is typical liberal b.s. mate. A weapon like this would be an excellent replacement for guns (which your kind also says shouldn't be used).

Amen, its non lethal what more could you want???? Water cannons and billy clubs?? Really now :shk:

And anything can be used to hurt and torture, just take a tour through our kitchen. going by that all we would have is a spork or something to eat with

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Without the progression of weaponry and looking for alternatives to lethal weapons, there would be no Bean Bag guns or other non-lethal alternatives. We are in a persuit to limit casualties to zero, and we are continually trying to find safer alternatives to voilence.

I dont see how this is bad at all.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Medicine treat people with bad health conditions. Very different from weapons. We already have enough weapons. Why the need for more? It's a waste of money if you ask me.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by meshuggah1324
Rubber bullets work just fine if you ask me.

So you would prefer rubber bullets which
1. Cause pain and
2. Causes damage and can cause serious injury
over a weapon that just causes pain???

You're not making sense.

Medicine treat people with bad health conditions. Very different from weapons. We already have enough weapons. Why the need for more? It's a waste of money if you ask me.

Again, you're not making sense.

And how is coming up with NON lethal weapons, to replace possible lethal weapons, a waste of money?

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Weapons arn't created for a "Right Way" Period.

Secondly, the reason America has rioters is because we can, its a right we have, something called Freedom that this administration has constantly tried to undermind.

Don't make me bring up ECHELON or the Patriot Act.

The problem with this device is it causes massive pain to the body. This can cause trauma in a person, and death in people with bad heart conditions. This device doesn't cause PHYSICAL harm until you use it on someone that has a weak nervous system or heart. People can die because of shock induced by pain. A bloodvessal can burst, you can have a heart attack, you can pass out because of mental stress.

I would much rather stick with Tear Gas and Riot Shields.... so what, 5 people end up in the hospital. You use a device that causes massive pain, your gonna kill a few people or send the entire lot of them into massive shock.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 08:55 PM
link   
A little late to the party...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Some more discussion on those threads.

[edit on 3/7/2005 by Gools]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by meshuggah1324

And any of those medications that were developed to treat people with bad health can be used to kill as well. There's no way to change that. Does that mean we should not have created those medications? Of course not.

Originally posted by ZenicI would much rather stick with Tear Gas and Riot Shields.... so what, 5 people end up in the hospital. You use a device that causes massive pain, your gonna kill a few people or send the entire lot of them into massive shock.

I hope you realize that tear gas has killed people and riot shields can be used to kill as well. I suppose in your world the police can show up, yell "STOP" and all crimes immeadiately cease without incident. And I'm sure that there are never any wars in this special place either. Give me a break already. "Weapons are bad" boo hoo. Get over it. Weapons are necessary.

I'd rather see the developement of a directed pain device that would allow the police to target only those elements in a crowd that are out of hand than to have to gas everyone willy-nilly.

posted on Mar, 24 2005 @ 11:40 PM
link   
its not just to shoot at us. sure, it can be used for controlling riots, but our military can use it too. have an armored vehicle drive down our enemys streets using that device, and then our troops move in to see our enemy laying on the ground in excruciating pain, not shooting at us. and for torture, that would be perfect, we could find anything we want about our enemy if we captured one of their high ranking officers. just dont do anything that would make someone want to torture you, and you wont have to worry.

apc

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 12:06 AM
link   
This device is already a form of EMP designed for biological attack. The idea behind it is generate an EMP contained in a laser generated plasma stream, to directly stimulate the pain receptors beneath the skin.

It is an amazing discovery, literally the stuff "phasers" are made of on Star Trek. Unfortunately just like any other "non-lethal" weapon, there will always be fatalities that result.

My concern however is that it will be used against non-violent protests. In much the same way we see people participating in a sitdown having their eyes filled with mace via cotton swab. If bullets don't actually fly and the weapon used is based on pure energy, who's to say who fired it? A force could use such a weapon against a peaceful rally completely free of consequence because there would be no proof of the attack.

It is a two headed coin that really has no place in the modern day globe, and should be stuck on a shelf until we as a people reach a point where we can responsibily utilize such a tool of defense against our enemies. "Non-lethal" weapons are specifically designed for defense. Beyond that, nothing matters until the enemy is dead. But such wishful thinking for us.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 12:35 AM
link   
This weapon can only be used over a wide area, in other words, only for crowd control. It wouldn't be used just on one person. But I doubt it's being developed because of riots. How many have there been in the last decade?

Originally posted by MAVERICK05
just dont do anything that would make someone want to torture you, and you wont have to worry.

Yeah, don't do anything like demonstrate against a war. If you speak up, you’ll get zapped. Good by freedom of speech.

posted on Mar, 25 2005 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Partyof1
Well I'd say that if these "rioters" are being violent or causing damage to property then go ahead and use it. I've been near violent riots and they're totally out of control and dangerous. Many innocent people are often injured in the chaos, including the law enforcement officers there to protect them. I can't imagine they'd be using this weapon for peaceful protests.

And torture? There are plenty of cheaper ways to torture someone. And what's the purpose of torturing someone 2 kilometers away? Sounds painful but I suppose it's better than getting shot.

Look it is being set up to use against politcal decent so they wont have to kill the prison camp slaves, this is like living in Germany in 1933. Most of the violent rioters are government plants to sway your opinion to that of the jack boots. WE ARE IN AMERICA!

MAVERICK05, where the heck is your head at? Using torture to get information from our enemies? Are you a brownshirt thug or what? AMERICA SHOULD NEVER TORTURE NO MATTER WHAT!!! WE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE THE GOOD GUYS!!! Dont ever forget it!

posted on Mar, 26 2005 @ 12:28 AM
link   
It's partially true. The US Military DOES have sound weapons. There are about 30-40 sounds, mostly are classified sounds, but they cause people to wet their pants, do the "#2" in their pants, others will make people fall to the ground and curl-up into a ball, other sounds will make them take off running in extreme fear. The speaker is flat and standing next to it, you will not hear it, standing in it's range will cause one to hear it and cause those reactions.

Types of sounds:
- Reverse baby crying
- A fork against a chalk board re-mixed (Talk about pain!!)
- Another multi scratching sound that sounds like two hard surfaces rubbing against eachother will sand inbetween
- A chewing sound (sounds like someone chewing on sand, and it's utterly assaulting)
- TV/Radio Static Hyper-mix
- A kind of trumpet sound, (that made me sick to my stomoch)

Those are the ones I have heard.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 03:21 AM
link   
Godzilla1985, don't forget the powerful sound of Metallica! Along with other heavy metal bands they were used to # with prisoners form the iraq war. Or so that's what the news media told us. I mean seriously if they had a sound that made them # there pants... don't you think we wouldn't have to torture the bastards? Personally what you are talking about comes from that episode of South Park.

And for those of you who think these weapons are used on Peaceful Protests, guess what you're wrong. I went to a protest of a Nafta meeting down in miami, and we got shot at with rubber bullets and they even broke out the gas mask. What were we doing? Yelling things and walking down the street waving signs. Bastard ass police men, I threw there tear gas back at them... #ers didn't see that comin.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by djpaec
...I threw there tear gas back at them... #ers didn't see that comin.

I saw you man! You were on Free Speech TV!!! Was that you?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join