It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will the efficiency of Spanish beat or fundamentally change the language of America??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Usually the better things win.. not always but usually..

If something is more efficient, it is the path of least resistance and people adopt that way of doing things.

Well The way Spanish, and I assume the other Latin based languages , set up their sentence structure is just horribly more efficient......

For example...

In English our sentence structure is like this..

“The blue dog”

While Spanish is set up like this..

“The dog blue”

In English the subject and primary point of your sentence comes last.....

Isn’t that inherently less efficient than the important part of the sentence coming first and the words describing it coming afterward????

I think it pretty obviously is...

That makes me wonder if Spanish will over take English, or if English will flip it its sentence structure to be as efficient..

I was thinking that a god example of When the more efficient option lost would be metric vs Standard.. obviously metric is better but Americans have not swapped...

But really metric is winning, it just hasn’t completely won..

Almost everything that matters is done in metric no matter what it says on our milk lol..

Thoughts?

edit on 7-11-2019 by JustJohnny because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: JustJohnny

I doubt it, since Spanish is based on male and female pronouns... How do you conjugate a verb for one who is non-binary?
edit on 7-11-2019 by Medusa18 because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 07:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Medusa18

I doubt it, since Spanish is based on male and female pronouns... How do you conjugate a verb for one who is non-binary?

Technically the Spanish language is sexist and should be banned.

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Does this mean that "Red Robbin" restaurants has to change their name to "Robbin Red" ? 😃

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 07:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Medusa18

Same as in English, use the plural.

They/them

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Probably soon...
Every other word in the English language seems to offend someone..

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Short answer, hell no.

English is the language of the world. America's domination of the world markets has solidified English as the language of business around the world, Spanish isn't talking over lol.

Jaden

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 07:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Masterjaden
As someone raised by Spanish speaking parents, they chose English and so have I. Of course they are fully fluent, I barely so. I like my English and I'm sticking to it.

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Efficiency is in the thought process.

English wins hands down.

If you go ... Dog ... small ... blue ...

then your mind has to cope with Dog first, you may think German Sheppard, then you have to change that visualization to small, say Terrier then you get to blue and you have to change your visualization to poodle because only idiots dye their poodles blue.

English on the other hand, gives you all of the hints for visualization before you start the visualization process.

You have small, blue and then you get to dog and you visualize the poodle as your first image.

English is much more efficient at doing what a language is supposed to do.

P

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 07:47 PM
link   
No....but then again it already has.

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Medusa18

Fair point... unnecessarily applying male and female to inanimate objects and such is definitely harder than is needed..

I still think English will flip the subject and descriptors or Spanish will lose the unnecessary pronouns and merge

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 09:02 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Obviously

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 09:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Masterjaden

Then English flips it’s nouns and words that describe it..

More efficient always wins.

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

You should think dog first...

That is the central point, the important part.

In your example your assuming all you have is dogs..

If you are scanning a field full of random junk and want to find an item..

You don’t check everything that is blue, or small..

You first look for dogs...

Then eliminate those that are large... then those that are not blue.. or you can reverse the last 2 it doesn’t matter.. they are secondary.

Imho that is as close to an objective truth as thst kinda thing can be..

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: JustJohnny
a reply to: pheonix358

You should think dog first...

That is the central point, the important part.

If you are scanning a field full of random junk and want to find an item..

You don’t check everything that is blue, or small..

You first look for dogs...

Then eliminate those that are large... then those that are blue..

Imho that is as close to an objective truth as thst kinda thing can be..

Just pointing out that with your posting history in mind, an argument can be made (rather easily) that you don't think rationally or efficiently in the first place, so you probably shouldn't have chosen this topic to discuss.

An opinion, as always.

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 09:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

Some people take a stance and then regardless of the discussion, they will ride that puppy all the way to Kansas.

Hello Dorothy.

P

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 09:30 PM
link   

How much time is in-between your words in sentences?

If I say "look for the black and brown dog" it takes a couple seconds. Not minutes. It isn't "look for the black and brown... (Pause wait for you to start looking) ... Dog".

Also the sentence could be structured as "look for the dog, it is black and brown." Also takes a couple seconds.

But hey if you don't have time to fully articulate your thoughts into full sentences then by all means say "look for dog black and brown"

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Its like the metric system all over again.....

In day to day life, 90 percent of what people buy or interact with is non metric.

Much like the "superior" spanish, the bulk of day to day interaction will continue to be american(units or language). Spanish(like the metric system) will no doubt take a strong foothold in certain industries(engineering for metric and likely ordering mexican food or salsa in spanish).

edit on 7-11-2019 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Spanish is not superior or more efficient.

It takes many more words to say in Spanish what you can accomplish with many fewer words in English. English has a deeper, richer vocabulary to draw on. Part of this is because English is agreeable to adopting words from other languages while Spanish has a panel of people sitting off in an ivory tower uni whose job it is to "keep the language pure". So they would rather make a new Spanish word for a new thing than adopt an already existing word for it from another language. For example, the colonists saw a raccoon for the first time, and they asked the Natives what is was and they adopted, mostly, the Native name for it rather than having to have some Brit academics create a uniquely English word for it to "keep the English pure". Spanish will do that.

Not to mention English does have an efficient structure:

noun/verb - subject/predicate

You simply stopped your example with the subject. The blue dog - that's an incomplete sentence. Without adding an action for your dog, you tried to make your point. Your blue dog ... what? Did he run? Was he sleeping? You went on about a field full of dogs and how it's wrong to ask people to look for blue before dogs without thinking that the dog is doing something and we'd be looking for that in a proper sentence.

The most basic sentence would be something like: Dog runs. Now we're looking for the running dog. Which running dog? The blue dog runs. Ah! Now we know we're looking for a running dog that happens to be blue. It's actually quite efficient when you don't forget to add a predicate to complete your sentence.

posted on Nov, 7 2019 @ 10:46 PM
link   
This is by far the dumbest assessment of a foreign language I have ever seen.

I speak several languages and I can promise you efficiency is not how I would describe a romance language. If anything that branch of languages tends to be less precise then the Germanic languages.

Where communication is concerned, precision always wins the day.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join