It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just a question. My thread title was in use so I added this.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Sometimes I quietly sit for hours thinking to myself.
I was thinking about the poisons we allow into our environment and the reasons behind why we do it.

For example our agricultural practices leave a ton of harmful waste that ends up in our food supple and water. This makes us less fit and healthy then we would have been.
Yet those same practices contribute to our longer life spans because we produce an abundance of food.

So I wondered what would I rather have.

A long but unhealthy life. One were I will live to be at least 70-80 but will for sure be physically and mentally weaker as time goes on.
One with a higher risk of illness because of the pollution.

or
A short but healthy life. One were I live to be 30-40 but I'm fit, healthy, and mentally sharp the entire time.

I'm 40 and fit so right now I choose the long life. But if I was 100% sure my last 10 or 20 years was going to be filled with illness I would choose differently and die right now.

What would you do?

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

I am almost laughing at your post because it is almost exactly the one we had at the dinner table yesterday.

We had a discussion about China and India and how their water is either gone (India) or so polluted they can't drink or bathe in it (even though they do) Some say 85% of the yellow river is unsafe for consumption. We are going to see a water war in the very near future. First probably with those two countries and then it is going to move elsewhere.

I think in the US we have been far removed from this because we have enjoyed products manufactured elsewhere. It's hard to think about someone soo far away drinking bad water. When we hear about Flint Michigan it hits closer to home.

I think I would choose healthy and young. I've seen too many old people suffer greatly from cancer and other diseases. The end of their life is not really living a full life. China is now starting to see a rise in sickness due to all the pollution. We have only seen the beginning of this.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 12:21 PM
link   

I think everyone should have right to choose if they want to die and yeah, euthanasia should be legal, globally

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum

I think everyone should have right to choose if they want to die and yeah, euthanasia should be legal, globally

I really think people should have the right to choose, but sometimes people are in temporary pain or mental confusion and I fear other people would take advantage of that.

If you are in end stage cancer etc.. OK.. but in other cases...I don't know.e]

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 12:42 PM
link   
oops, wrong thread.
I apologize!
edit on 5-11-2019 by Oleandra88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 12:57 PM
link   
If you lived on Earth prior to humanity making big impact, eating only untainted food, walking or running everywhere to maintain a healthy body, unstressed by the 9-5 work-a-day world, living as nature intended, your lifespan would have been about 28 years.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Let's take this a little further;

Scientifically speaking, the life expectancy of humans has remained relatively the same for...... thousands of years.

The reason that the average lifespan has always seemed so low, is because people calculate it like they calculate the average wages in the US - they factor in every possible number, even when it is illogical and doesn't make any sense.

The biggest speed bump in life expectancy was the 16 year mark; basically, there were a lot of teenagers dying due to plague, sickness, injury, etc. The children that lived past 16? they continued to live well into their 70's-80's, just like we are now.

Another fun fact is that if you look at the DNA of past civilizations and people's, there are very few if any, cancer markers or markers for mutations in their genetic code; basically, they weren't getting sick and dying, having crazy birth defects, getting cancer, etc., ay anywhere near the rate we are now.

So..................................................
................................. What you REALLY need to ask yourself, is whether you want to live a long healthy life, or a long UNhealthy life?

....... because that's what it boils down to.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 01:36 PM
link   

I'm 20 years older than you. It's been getting pretty ugly. My body is a torture device.

"Chronic (Long-term) Health Effects
Chronic health effects include cancer and other tumors; brain and nervous system damage; birth defects; infertility and other reproductive problems; and damage to the liver, kidneys, lungs and other body organs. Chronic effects may not appear for weeks, months or even years after exposure, making it difficult to link health impacts to pesticides.

Pesticides have been implicated in human studies of leukemia, lymphoma and cancers of the brain, breasts, prostate, testis and ovaries. Reproductive harm from pesticides includes birth defects, still birth, spontaneous abortion, sterility and infertility.

Endocrine disruptors are chemicals that — often at extremely low doses — interfere with important bodily functions by mimicking or blocking hormones (the chemical messengers that circulate in blood and regulate many body processes including metabolism, brain development, the sleep cycle and stress response). Some pesticides act as endocrine disruptors and have been shown to cause serious harm to animals, including cancer, sterility and developmental problems. Similar impacts have been associated with human exposure to these chemicals."

Pesticides Human Health

Good luck fighting the corporations about reducing profits. Profits are the Lord of our society. Government regulations and consumer protections are blasphemies against God.

"The vast majority of Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs) grown in the U.S. are engineered to produce their own pesticides"

GMOs and Pesticides: Helpful or Harmful?

"How are GMOs changing the landscape of pesticide usage in our crop fields, and ultimately, the pesticide dosage in our dinners?"

Just asking the question means you are a bleeding heart liberal communist!

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
If you lived on Earth prior to humanity making big impact, eating only untainted food, walking or running everywhere to maintain a healthy body, unstressed by the 9-5 work-a-day world, living as nature intended, your lifespan would have been about 28 years.

A classic response. There's just nothing we can do about any problems in society. People will have to just tough it out.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum

Corporations will not allow this because they would lose their entire workforce. Governments would not allow it because there would be nobody left to pay taxes. Churches hate it because there would be nobody left to collect tithes from.

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 01:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

originally posted by: schuyler

A classic response. There's just nothing we can do about any problems in society. People will have to just tough it out.

Not really the point. People seem to feel that if only we returned to the old pure ways when we did not impact the environment, life would be better, more pure and harmonious. 'Modern ills" are all the result of we humans poisoning ourselves and the environment. In fact, life in those "pure" times was rather harsh and unforgiving. That has NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO with the fact we have modern problems that need solving. Life was not "better" way back then. It was a whole lot worse.
edit on 11/5/2019 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2019 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Just sayin that there is a large disconnect, between the number of 30-40 year-olds claiming that they will not hesitate to off themselves if ill: and the large amount of old folks, with ills, that are obviously not offing themselves.

Is it not short-sighted to assume we know how we will feel in 30 years ?

Treasured moments with grandchildren ?
Catching that big fish ?
Seeing your team win the World-Championship ?
Scoring a 29 in crib ?
Saturday morning coffee with your old crusty friends ?
Finally winning the lottery ?
Love ?
Taking care of your partner, children, grandchildren ?

new topics

top topics

join