It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

40 years after 444 days...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Exactly 40 years ago today, a group of Iranian militants seized 98 people at the U.S. Embassy in Tehran — marking the start of what is known as the Iran hostage crisis. While the hostages were released from captivity 444 days later, an unsuccessful, covert mission known as Eagle Claw to try to rescue the hostages months afterwards is what served as a catalyst for changing special operations forces.
MTIMES

I'm not even remotely an 'expert' on this subject but I'll never forget it.
It was scary. I was young, I didn't understand it all, but I never forgot.

The Iran hostage crisis began on Nov. 4, 1979 after Iranian protesters, outraged that the U.S. had allowed the deposed and pro-American Shah Mohammad Reza Pahlavi to receive medical treatment in the U.S., stormed the U.S. Embassy in Tehran, taking a total of 98 people hostage.

And after a number of disastrous attempts to rescue the 98? The mission was aborted - a crushing failure.

On January 21, 1981, just a few hours after Ronald Reagan delivered his inaugural address, the remaining hostages were released. They had been in captivity for 444 days.

I'm not comfortable heading up this topic because it's so incredible complex - I'm in hopes some others on ATS will have a lot more to say.

I just didn't want anyone to forget.

The Iranians sure have not... They're still chanting 'Death to America'... DTA

peace

edit on 2441Monday201913 by silo13 because: html fix

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

I think they tried it with an embassy in London back in the 80s and got there arse handed to them by the SAS.

The never won that day, that's for sure.

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 07:46 PM
link   

edit on 4-11-2019 by FlyingSquirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Dont be so concerned Silo13. They have lots of oil and Trump loves oil. It wouldent surprise me if he sends some troops to protect their oil for them from those pesky ISIS gangs...
edit on 4-11-2019 by illuminnaughty because: corection

posted on Nov, 12 2019 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Do you know why the Iranian revolution happened?

I'm not an expert on the subject but from what I understand is the US after WW2 installed a ruthless dictator that terrorized the people of Iran. The Iranians had enough and over through him. When doing so they seized the US embassy.

That's why they pretty much why hate our guts. They see Israel as a proxy of the United States. It's not that the Iranians hate Jewish people. Iran has Jewish people living in their country.

Saudi Arabia is a bigger threat then Iran. I think under the right circumstances we could reach a peace deal with Iran except Israel would object.

Obama tried he intentionally cut Israel out of the loop when getting Iran to stop enriching uranium. The Israeli's felt betrayed because the US did it in secret without letting them know.

A month prior to the 2012 election Israel was going to attack Iran on a suicide mission to destroy Irans nuclear ambitions. Israel wanted to start a conflict because they thought is would gain sympathy from US voters and get Obama out. They decided not to because they thought it might backfire on them.

edit on 12-11-2019 by wantsome because: (no reason given)

top topics

join