It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Wisconsin Man Wants to Legalize Cat Hunting

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Calling feral cats an invasive species, a Wisconsin man want to legalize the hunting of cats. He proposes that they be declared an "unprotected species" which would allow like minded hunters the ability to shoot on sight. His rationale is to protect wild birds. Scientist estimate that between 7.8 million and 219 million birds are killed by cat in the state each year.

www.foxnews.com
MADISON, Wis. — Hunter Mark Smith welcomes wild birds on to his property, but if he sees a cat, he thinks the "invasive" animal should be considered fair game.

The 48-year-old firefighter from La Crosse has proposed that hunters in Wisconsin make free-roaming domestic cats an "unprotected species" that could be shot at will by anyone with a small-game license.

His proposal will be placed before hunters on April 11 at the Wisconsin Conservation Congress (search) spring hearings in each of the state's 72 counties.

"I get up in the morning and if there's new snow, there's cat tracks under my bird feeder ... I look at them as an invasive species, plain and simple," Smith said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I will admit that I am not a cat person. However, are the cats keeping the bird population in balance? Also man talk about the scientist hedging thier bets 7.8 to 219 million. Thats not really a narrow range. I for one would rather see pigeons targeted, they are rats with wings, have little redeeming value, and spread disease.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   
How about getting him into the wilderness and let the cats hunt him down that will teach him a lesson, we are the invaders of the land we the humans, animals were here before we even show up, at least animals harmonize with nature, we invade and consume and all we leave behind is our trash.

[edit on 7-3-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   
here kitty kitty. I have three Persians in my house. I can not wear black because of the white hair. they only want something to do with you when they are hungry. Beggars, animal Democrats i say! They want to ruin this country so since they are not human, why not shoot the destroyer of entire quail covies?

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   
This new law doesn't sound like such a great idea. How long before hunters start blasting some little kid's cat. How would you like to hear that some guy just came up and shot your cat, and theres nothing you can do about it.

Besides, what about the enormous rat population? Around were I live (about forty miles south of Wisconsin) cats are all that keep the rats, bats and birds in check. Some of the bigger cats are even capable of taking on racoons. There's a good reason the Egyptians worshipped cats.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Uhh this is completely stupid. Cat's are pets. Unless he is talking about Cougers and such then I do not have a problem but House Cats? Gimme a break.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I tell you what very soon it will be no longer littler fify to be hunted but littler fido also.

Dogs will become a victim too in the pet vs. humans war.

Maybe we should send the wisconsin man to Iraq, that will keep him busy.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Reaganwasourgreatest
here kitty kitty. I have three Persians in my house.

Oh do you have any pics? I love persians. I had a persian once, got hit by a car. Dumb cat...

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I'm a cat lover and am horrified by this. They are so sweet, wonderful and loving and smart. At least my three are. One of mine actually pees in the toilet, but unfortunately hasn't learned about flushing yet. I feed the strays around my house and give to my local humane society too. I do wish that people would take responsibility for their animals though and have them spayed/neutured.

What an awful Wisconsin man. Me no likey.

[edit on 7/3/05 by AlwaysLearning]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I tolerate cats only. I might even pet little beggers. I am happy for all you cat lovers. Lets talk about feral cats. Do you have any idea how many poor kitties get gased? Spade and neutering works but these supposed cat lovers let them breed like rats

Ever hear of skunks? The can mouse like no others. I think they are cuter as well. Kittens are cute, litter boxes are nasty.

[edit on 7-3-2005 by Reaganwasourgreatest]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Seems in my history class, which i admit was a LOONNNNGGG time ago, I was taught that the reason the black plague spread across europe so quickly and completely was that people thought it was being spread by cats. Turned out it was the rats spreading it and by killing the cats the humans only worsened the problem.

I don't consider any hunting to be a sport. If they want to call it a sport they should issue guns to the animals and teach them to shoot back. THEN it would be a sport, hell, i'd pay primetime tv rates to see that. On opening day of deer season they could have a running tab:

Hunters: 12 and Deer 14....and the hunt goes on.

Love and light,

Wupy

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Well what we need is stricter anti-breeding laws. Those don't kill some poor kid's cat on accident usually. Besides it's either a fairly large cat population, or an army of rats at your door.

I like my cat, it's friendly, plus it keeps the rats away. That and for some reason it eats most bugs it finds in the house.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   

I tolerate cats only. I might even pet little beggers. I am happy for all you cat lovers. Lets talk about feral cats. Do you have any idea how many poor kitties get gased? Spade and neutering works but these supposed cat lovers let them breed like rats

Ever hear of skunks? The can mouse like no others. I think they are cuter as well. Kittens are cute, litter boxes are nasty.

Yeah but Skunks have a very unpleasant side effect if you disturb them

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 07:16 PM
link   
If a cat could operate a can opener, it would have no use for human beings. These cats should have collars and tags on them; otherwise they should be considered feral vermin.

Here kitty kitty...

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
I live in wisconsin and have been following this for months

The so called study they are using to come up with the numbers are from a 5 year study taht captured 100 cats and examined the contents of thier stomachs. It is so innaccurate an 8th grade science teacher would give it a C-

If it is so bad, why is thier still open hunting On doves?

It has been proven in florida that over 5 years a trap-nueter-release program reduced the feral cat population by 2/3s. And most vets and shelter workers that is a much better option then declaring open hunting on cats.

in fact, more animals are killed by cars and windows then what supposadly feral cats account for.

I honestly think this is just an excuse for one person to hunt soemthing he conciders a nuisance. An attempt for a dog owner to prove canine dominace over feline

When you have a hammer, everthing looks like a nail.
When you ahve a gun, everything looks like a target

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 07:18 PM
link   
How horrible.
No one has the right to take a cats life, how would you like it if I came up and shot your kid and , said its because there are to many humans (not pointed at anyone here).

I wonder how many accidents and suicides will befall the supporters of this ludacris pety excuse of a law/thing.

[edit on 3/7/2005 by iori_komei]

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 07:19 PM
link   

It is official, I was in doubt before, but this is the last nail in the coffin. You need to up your meds; lithium 75mg, depakote at least 50 and levoxil about 25, just so you can sleep throught the night terrors.
The majority of responsible pet owners spay or nueter their pets.
And your ability to turn this into a POLITICAL issue just shows that you are a tad touched in the head. democrats are cats, bothe want to detroy the country so we should get to shoot he animals?! All I can say is WTF?!
Not everything is polotocal.. really.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
LOL Wow!! Can you imagine this guy bragging to his friends about his trophy collection of stuffed and mounted kitties, "Yep, dam near lost my leg with that one." What's this guy going to do with all the dead cats? Skin them, make a kitty carpet? Make some meow-chow-stir-fry? I'm not a big fan of felines, but this is a little overboard and silly IMHO.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 07:36 PM
link   
If the killing gets really bad would there be a kitty litter problem?

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I got a pict but do not know how to show the furry critter

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 07:47 PM
link   
I believe this should be the case for both cats and dogs. I have had cats and dogs as pets and love them both, but wild cats and wild dogs cause numerous problems including the killing of fowl and livestock as well as disease. Sure cats and dogs as pets are great, but they should be tagged and collared by the owners. The dog catchers don't roam the woods like they do the streets, so why shouldn't a person protect their property (fowl and livestock) from wild animals, regardless of what kind they are.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join