It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google Buys Fitbit for 2.1 billion

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 08:42 AM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

Additionally I have been invested in the Google ecosystem.

I tend to think of an ecosystem as a tide pool, a forest, or a desert. I think (in biology) an ecosystem by definition means a system without humans, without civilization, unspoiled. Is that not the exact opposite of google?

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 10:17 AM
link   
If you own any device that collects data on you and keeps track of where you are, you should purchase a lead film bag, and put all that crap in there when you go somewhere that you do not want anyone to know about.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 10:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger

Additionally I have been invested in the Google ecosystem.

I tend to think of an ecosystem as a tide pool, a forest, or a desert. I think (in biology) an ecosystem by definition means a system without humans, without civilization, unspoiled. Is that not the exact opposite of google?

Great but that isn't how the term ecosystem is used in the technology world.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 10:58 AM
link   

I know. I work in the tech field. The 'ecosystem' concept is just more nonsense from the buzzword-loving gang.
Larry Ellison, Oracle's founder used to threaten subordinates who used buzzwords. I thought that was funny.

It's just silly. There was a meeting in some tech office, and someone suggested that the way the business cycle works was like an 'ecosystem', and the nerds thought it was cool and ran with it.

This is all just MHO, of course. I could be totally full of sHi*.

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger

I know. I work in the tech field. The 'ecosystem' concept is just more nonsense from the buzzword-loving gang.
Larry Ellison, Oracle's founder used to threaten subordinates who used buzzwords. I thought that was funny.

It's just silly. There was a meeting in some tech office, and someone suggested that the way the business cycle works was like an 'ecosystem', and the nerds thought it was cool and ran with it.

This is all just MHO, of course. I could be totally full of sHi*.

Fair enough.
Not a hill I'm going to die on.

I'm more annoyed that Google will possibly completely change something I have enjoyed or used which is basically the nature of big tech anyway

posted on Nov, 2 2019 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I don't have one but can imagine how they will abuse it. Subliminals during your sleep? Out of the blue desire to do something completely out of your nature? Oh, you didn't get enough sleep? Tomorrow your doctor will be calling you and btw your insurance rates just went up

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 04:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deplorable

originally posted by: MisterSpock
God, I really feel like a dick, being a dick in another one of your threads.

Had a nice slow-dance with that Glenmorangie, did we? LMAO

Enjoy your shiny tech devices, google just bought more of your data to sell.

I'm with you on this concern. Big Tech collects your data. Who do you think they're gonna sell that to? Your Big Insurance company maybe? And what if they find some hereditary disease? Think that might impact your kid's access to affordable Big Medical?

Anyone know what a vial of Insulin is going for these days? Pretty cool how Big Pharma made that stuff perishable, idn't it?

They're going to have to work a lot harder to get my medical data, I don't use those or have those apps on my phone. I found a bunch more apps to disable today. Sometimes I long for the non-smartphone world again.

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: HalWesten
They're going to have to work a lot harder to get my medical data

Be careful. Remember my response when you go see your doctor next time ... and they try to take a digital photograph of you.

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 08:44 PM
link   
me personally am so glad I've never got caught up with all these fancy gadgets, others I can see the appeal especially if you're a pro athlete and need to keep a check on how your training is going

I'm not fussed about data collecting after all I'm on fbook. What I don't get is why your average Joe needs to share how far they have ran for or where they went jogging. It really bugs me. I see friends post this and I feel like saying 'dude I don't care where you ran or how many calories you've burnt off'

What's so difficult with exercising and not having a little device to tell you what you done. If I feel like I'm getting fat I'll weigh myself, I'd work out for a set time and then weigh myself. Oh hey look I've realise I've burnt calories simply by stepping on some scales and a good old fashioned mirror to look at my body. I don't need a gadget to tell me how well I'm doing.

The same goes for these smart speakers (Alexa etc) .. are people that dependent on technology they need to ask it to switch on some lights, play music, make a note of an appointment or check the weather.

I appreciate people have their preferences but these things are not for... urgh I'm ranting aren't I? I'll get my coat

posted on Nov, 3 2019 @ 08:45 PM
link   
People get on Google but their products have immense appeal. Millions now would go mad without YouTube.

I know they're powerful but this is our system, capitalism, surveillance, advertising, and militarism, whether we like it or not.

If one doesn’t like it where are you going to go to China, where they have a camera on every corner.

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Gosh Dang it, I like Fitbit and my whole family wears them.

I hate Google.

posted on Nov, 4 2019 @ 12:13 PM
link   
I don't use a FitBit, so I'm not all that concerned. However, it can be a little unnerving to idly ponder buying something (not even saying it out loud to anyone) and then suddenly have it appear like magic in an Internet ad. I kind of understand that's how targeted marketing works, where they monitor all of your activities and then shoot ads at you for stuff that others who have your same profile have shown an interest in. But sometimes it's just plain spooky.

Google wants all the data, and with Fitbit they can get even more. They already know where you are because of your phone. Now they can get an even better idea about your activity and health levels so they can target you with even more ads that have to do with fitness and health. Annoying drug ads, etc.

I guess as long as you're not up to any serious monkey business, there's no reason to be concerned about marketers trying to get more data about you. It's not personal. And in some ways they can benefit you by sending you coupons and giving you deals on things you were going to buy anyway.

Still makes me wonder, though, how serial killers can get away with going around offing people without The System knowing their every move. These days I'm afraid to let an ad run on YouTube a second longer than I have a chance to skip it, because I feel that if I let it play out then I'm somehow showing that I'm interested in the product and I'll get a lot of ads for junk I actually don't want.

This future I've made it to is not exactly what I expected.

posted on Apr, 1 2021 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Corporate sent everyone an Inspire2, and we've had weekly challenges at work for nine weeks. I don't mind another tracking device, as I've had several for over a decade now.
I really enjoy the competition at work. It makes the day more interesting.
This week my device would not sync, I was woried that I was going to loose a weeks worth of data. I tried several directions in various Fit-bit forums without any luck. In the end I called Fitbits support telephone number. Fitbit tech David had my unit back up and running within thirty minutes. I know most here at ATS are paranoid, about being tracked and AI, Google, bla, bla, but I guess I'm used to it 25years of being tracked, I've nothing to hide. I love good competition, so if any members want a challenge pm me for my fitbit user, I'll add you to my list , and we could have a friendly competition. I average about 45 miles per week, just a little over 120k steps depending on your stride length.

We're getting old, stay healthy ATS

posted on Apr, 3 2021 @ 10:46 AM
link   

My sleep score was 84. Dreamed I trolling for yellow fin in my truck. Somewhere in South America. I checked a map, and the location does not exist in the real world. Trolling for yellow fin on dry land is a little strange, somewhere east of the Peruvian 🏜

posted on Apr, 4 2021 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Yeah, that figures, doesn't it. Just another data-mining tool to add to their collection. More government voyeurism in disguise.
edit on 4-4-2021 by Kromlech because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join