It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US House says Armenian mass killing was genocide

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 09:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy
a reply to: CriticalStinker

100 years is way too long to wait to say something official.
Makes it at least appear to be purely political.

Sadly, it appears they waited until we hit a point where nobody cares if the Turks don't like it.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Well that's a little like saying the Rwandan genocide was...genocide. No s#, sherlock, what magazine did they order their shiny plastic detective badge from again?

Although I do have to beg to differ on it being taught in schools. It definitely was not taught in Floridian ones back in my day (Holodomor was, though) I read about it in the town library on my own. My friends didn't know about it until adulthood themselves.

I think learning about specific genocides beyond the biggie (Holocaust/WW2) probably is real picky/choosy and depends on the local ethnic background of areas. I went to school with a lot of kids/grandkids of Ukrainian and Russian immigrants, so it seems to make more sense that the school focused on events that directly impacted the families of the biggest group representing a given region.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
The bill passed 405-11,

So... curiosity demands: who were the 11 that voted against it, and what were their reasons?

Rep Omar voted "present" because some people did something. Really she did. Look:
Link

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

originally posted by: tanstaafl

The bill passed 405-11,

So... curiosity demands: who were the 11 that voted against it, and what were their reasons?

Rep Omar voted "present" because some people did something. Really she did. Look:
Link

Can't bring herself to condemn her fellow Muslims for slaughtering Christians.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Here are the vote results .

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 11:19 AM
link   

a reply to: Veryolduser

This reminds me of how holocaust victims grandchildren tried to win in court the right to reparations through shared genetic post traumatic stress or some sh!t. I still can’t believe we helped pay it when it was my grandfathers putting their life’s on the line for these people.

Every demographic has a portion of people who would do things we wouldn't agree with.

But I’m getting side tracked we all know why this was ignored Because it got in the way of the Holocaust narrative victimhood

Or we were allies with Turkey until they started going rogue against our interests, hence why we finally decided to "put it on the record" of US politics they committed genocide, as if history hasn't already done the same... And these egotistical sociopaths think that they just made a difference in the world.

The only difference between this and the Holocaust, is our blind eye with the holocaust didn't last as long. We had sins in relation to acknowledging that one as well. If our hand wasn't forced in ways... We may be recognizing that in 2040.

Edit: with all of the above said, an atrocity against a people is still an atrocity... Just because many peoples have gone through such doesn't mean anyone gets to downplay one over another. They were all horrible, and when we forget one, or belittle it... It makes it that much easier to happen again. It appears you have a chip on your sleeve, so maybe try addressing the chip or how you're presenting the ideas.

Yes I have a chip. My people had been starved to death and the only means of escape was to come to America and fight in a war for the freedom of blacks”something we had no hand in” these misguided racist blacks now openly claim because I’m white I’m somehow more privileged than them because the color of my skin. I’m over this bs we fought against their oppression our president kennedy got a bullet in the head and yet after two grandfathers who fought in WW2 my views are now considered right wing nazi Russian troll ideals and hold no value. No son the chip isn’t on
My shoulder it’s that we no longer care because you # on the ancestor of the the people who helped. That’s why nobody gives a fuc anymore!

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Link

She should have voted for it. I'm also curious why 19 Republicans didn't vote 'yea'.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 11:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Link

She should have voted for it. I'm also curious why 19 Republicans didn't vote 'yea'.

I want to know why 11 people voted against the resolution. Do they approve of the genocide?

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 11:33 AM
link   
take that Chunk Uyger

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: AndyFromMichigan
I want to know why 11 people voted against the resolution. Do they approve of the genocide?

Using the turnabout is fair play argument you could claim they do.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 12:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Veryolduser

You're using a vast minority of people to justify the broad strokes you use on the whole.

Ironically you're doing the same thing you perceive others projecting to your people(s).

I think you must have gotten this thread wrong... This was never intended to downplay any suffering that anyone has gone through. No, this thread was about elected asshats using people's suffering and misfortune as a (geo)political football.

I understand that people see things through different lenses, and I'm not saying you don't have that right... Merely, I'm pointing out that you're missing the topic of the thread, and I'm sure there are a vast amount where you can vent your frustrations and vocalize your ideas.

Either way, cheers ... Have a splendid fall afternoon friend.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 02:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Djarums
Here are the vote results .

Meadows voted no. That's different. I'd like to hear the reasoning of the no votes.

The 11 who voted no are all Republicans: Rep. Mike Rogers of Alabama, Rep. Greg Pence of Indiana, Rep. James Baird of Indiana, Rep. Susan Brooks of Indiana, Rep. Larry Buschon of Indiana, Rep. Andy Harris of Maryland, Rep, Virginia Fox of North Carolina, Rep. Mark Meadows of North Carolina, Rep. Tom Cole of Oklahoma, and Rep. Mac Thornberry of Texas, and Kevin Brady of Texas.
edit on 30-10-2019 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong, and if I am, please someone fill me in.

You're not missing anything.

If Turkey hadn't stomped on their crank with the ol' golf spikes on, nothing would have been said by anyone in the House.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Apparently the Armenian Genocide has been “a thing” for quite some time, at least in some places:

NOW, THEREFORE, I GEORGE DEUKMEJIAN, Governor of the State of California, in accordance with Assembly Concurrent Resolution 51 do hereby proclaim April 24, 1986 as a State Day of Remembrance and have ordered the flags over the State Capitol to be flown at half mast and urge civilized people throughout the world to join in this observance.

And just for the record, Gov. Deukmejian was a Republican.

Which makes Trump’s apparently “cozy” relationship with Turkey’s Erdogan all the more...distasteful, IMHO; given Erdogan’s treatment, historically, of the Kurds.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Bhadhidar

Such a cozy relationship that we kicked Turkey out of the Joint Fighter Program and put sanctions on them?

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Such a cozy relationship that we kicked Turkey out of the Joint Fighter Program and put sanctions on them?

And yet Trump still owns two towers in Istanbul.

I’m sure Erdogan’s new pal Putin will be able to more than make up for any economic inconvenience exclusion from the JFP and some minor sanctions might cause.

Who knows, for his matchmaking services between Putin an Erdogan, “Yenta Donald” might even be rewarded with a prime real estate plot in Moscow, just like he’s long desired.

Oy Vey! Now THAT’S what you would call “The Art of the Deal”, bubbie!

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Yes the economic powerhouse that is Russia. LOL. The mere threat of US Sanctions got Turkey to agree to a ceasefire. They didn't like their currency falling by about 50% Last time we applied sanctions on Turkey.

Turkey is not real Ally of the West under Erodgan.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join