It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rebelling against daylight savings time

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

Easy fix. Just get a couple of these alarm clocks and your problem is solved.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Rituals exist to remind us of our shared history and our cultural roots.

I, personally, have never minded the switch from, and to daylight saving time. I always saw the conversion as a small ritual performed in acknowledgement of the changing seasons.

Time to put away the shorts and polo shirts and unpack the the sweaters flannel shirts. Time to put away the crisp white wines and “Brink out the Reds” (apologies to Monty Python!). Time to turn inward and reflect on all that has been accomplished “making hay while the sun shined”.

So many of our modern “devices” now make the change from standard time to DST almost, if not actually, automatic that it is easy to all but forget that a change has occurred.

But it would be a shame, I think, if we stray so far from our connection to the natural world that we begin to view even this small ritual, performed in recognition of the seasonal influence had on our agrarian past, as an unwelcome intrusion.

But, you do you.

It’s time I started looking through my recipes for chili and stew!

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
The alternate daylight savings time is there as an alternate due to the ones ignorant of the name and continually speak "savings"
You knew that.
I hope

I didn't, but it's my stance that colloquial usage works good, too.

It is noted in the "Terminology" section of the same wiki that since the late 70s, "daylight savings time" is more common in popular usage than the older "s-less" form.

To insist upon the distinction when you well understand the OPs point is, with all due respect, a little pedantic.
edit on 10/29/2019 by DictionaryOfExcuses because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Where do I sign up???

I hate daylight savings! You think it's hard on your body? Think about how bad it sucks for the animals!

The whole world changes by an hour, but they don't...and they don't understand.

Leave the damn time alone!

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 01:25 PM
link   
a reply to: TexasTruth

When setting a consistent sleep schedule to get optimal sleep and wakefulness it seriously #s things up for weeks. It totally throws the mind and body off causing a decrease in productivity and awareness. It screws up your sleep patterns leading to, for quite awhile, a terrible nights sleep. This all in turn makes getting up in the morning more difficult for a time as well as increases depression symptoms until the body finally readjusts all to do it again.

Is easier, healthier and better for my mind and body to adjust my schedule around the new times than to try and put my mind and body through hell for weeks on end twice a year.

What would be even easier though is not having to do that, as having a consistent schedule would make it easier to set and develope good habits.
edit on 10/29/2019 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

The reason is the same reason most people call Depend diapers as Depends and consistently think it's named Depends when it's not.

It simply rolls off the tongue better. It feels weird to say Depend same as it feels weird to say Daylight Saving Time. As a result of saying it that way for the reason of saying it the other way feels weird, I forget and type it out wrong as well.

I don't care though as, like I said, saying Depend or Daylight Saving Time feels weird, and since this is such an insignificant petty thing that doesn't truly matter, I'd rather be comfortable than right. If it actually mattered, well, things would be different, but it doesn't. So we're in agreement.

Daylight savings time is fine and anyone who doesn't like it. Don't care.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Mine are stubborn and will not budge. They have their own clock, and when they come to a consensus and say it is time to get up, you get up. Might as well, because you sure won't sleep.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 02:29 PM
link   

One of our cats is a bastard when change pisses him off. Nothing that can be knocked off anything is safe when he's pissed. My girlfriend and I keep our door cracked so he can get in and out as he wishes, otherwise my phone will be knocked on the ground before the night is over.

So yeah add that to the list of issues with DST. Pissed off and confused animals.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 03:30 PM
link   

a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

Imagine livestock. They know the times of day things happen, like when it's feeding time. They may walk miles to come down for feeding. Then all of a sudden, they start showing up at the usual time...and no one is there. Why? Because everyone is still at work, or driving home.

The animals don't hang around for very long, so if no one is there they just take off and go back up in the pastures. This doesn't just happen for a couple days, it happens for a couple months. Then when we finally do get home we have to call them down and everyone is grouchy. But it's not once a day, it's twice or more. In the mornings (in the fall), the cows aren't there, they're still out in the pastures. Same situation in reverse.

Then, just about the time everyone gets used to the new schedule, the time changes back and everyone goes through the whole process all over again.

It's really irritating to everyone. And, in some respects it's actually kind of dangerous, especially where the young ones are involved. Calves will get left behind and are possibly prey for coyotes.

I really do just wish they'd leave the damn time alone.

ETA - In the fall we just adjust our morning feeding times earlier so everything is normal for them; this we have control over, but the evening feeding time isn't something we have control over.

edit on 10/29/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 04:24 PM
link   

I agree. I wish they would leave the time alone also. I just have the dogs, but my neighbors have chickens, horses, cows, donkeys, and goats. I know because all of them, except for the chickens, have chosen my pond as the neighborhood hangout.

I really don't mind. Though I got kissed by a cow a couple of days ago. I saw the UPS guy walking away from my door and ran out to catch him. I wasn't paying attention to anything going on on my right side, just running and calling to my left, when I ran right into this giant cow that was standing off to my left. I am standing there, nose to nose with my neighbors bull, then he licked my glasses off my face. I could have lived without that ever happening.

They are at my house so often that some of my neighbors think they belong to me.

Outside of the sun coming up a bit later, the time change does not benefit me at all, it is just a super nuisance and gives me a three to four week bout of insomnia twice a year.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Noooo! Winter runs are best runs, and I love having an extra hour to get a run in before work.

Don't @ me bro.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: DictionaryOfExcuses

Nevertheless, as an editor, I get to change hundreds of things to daylight saving time twice a year because it's the correct form.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 05:14 PM
link   

I have yet to have an animal operate on my time though.

Our 13-year-old neurotic tabby is banished to the basement every night because her personal schedule has decreed that 3am is the best time to be fed no matter what time of year it is and no one sleeps until it happens. So, she sleeps in the basement because 3am is not the proper time for anything.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

Fair enough. I have no problem with upholding the original in a professional context.

I still think it's pedantic in a conversational one. It's splitting hairs. It's nit picky. Ultimately, it's an ad hominem.

With tongue in cheek, I say: the colloquial works good.

What do you edit, by the by?

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 09:08 PM
link   

My Tamar thinks that is the time of night to get everyone else to play. That is why her crate is closed at night and the other's aren't.

I think it is a female thing in my house. Bellah and Tamar like to get up early. Maxx and Goliath like to sleep in. As long as I keep Tamar from antagonizing the rest of them, all is good until around 6:30am. After that, it is everybody up. No peace, rain or shine, dark or light.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Daylight Saving Time is like man trying to control the sun. Why not just let your body naturally adjust to the changing daylight?

I've been paying attention to how much daylight has been lost daily since the summer solstice. With "Fall back" I now have to think about how the sun is going down an hour earlier and how I'll be working an hour later at night. Messing with the clock is just changing everyone's schedule.

What if my work depended entirely on the natural day/night cycle without regard to what time it was? Like a farmer who needs to plant the corn, milk the cows, feed the chickens, or whatever, when the natural cycles occur.

All we need is the Sun, the Earth and it's moon, time is just a way to keep track of it.
edit on 30-10-2019 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comments

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 07:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: DictionaryOfExcuses

Fair enough. I have no problem with upholding the original in a professional context.

I still think it's pedantic in a conversational one. It's splitting hairs. It's nit picky. Ultimately, it's an ad hominem.

With tongue in cheek, I say: the colloquial works good.

What do you edit, by the by?

Right now I'm doing multi-family publications (fancy way of saying apartment and senior living complex newsletters and calendars). I have done work on veterinary publications and worked on a large national book store in-store publications. I've also worked on medical center copy.

I've spent over 10 years at it. Believe me, you don't switch off after so long ... This place can make my instincts itch even on the best days.

But, at the same time, I'm not on the clock here, and I know I make mistakes since I'm not editing myself, so I do my best not to play editor on everyone else ... unless someone tries to point out how dumb someone is for making a grammar or spelling mistake to delegitamize a point in a post larded with mistakes of their own. Then my inner grammar Nazi might come out a bit.

edit on 30-10-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-10-2019 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 07:41 AM
link   

daylight saving is a pretty important thing where I live, without it the north would be in darkeness until 9 in the morning. rush hour and the school run would be much more dangerous.

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

Schools start too early in the first place. That's not a daylight savings time problem, that's a societal problem.

As for Rush hour, I call shenanigans. 90% of the time I've ever been stuck in rush hour traffic due to an accident it's been in daylight hours. In fact I've been delayed by accidents almost exclusively in daylight hours and I've had night shift, 2nd shift, 1st shift and random shift jobs.

In fact I'd like to see some proof that accidents are more likely at night. Personally I think people tend to drive more carefully at night, thus the discrepancy of my experience.

I prefer driving at night in the darkness. I never end up having much road rage impulses in the dark as things seem to be more in order on the road with a whole #ing lot less crazy.
edit on 10/30/2019 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: TexasTruth
An hour messes up your world that bad?

Yes, the time adjustment in spring leads to an increased level of vehicular accidents.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join