It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will self driving cars need stop lights?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Title is wrong..

It should read "WHY self driving cars need stop lights. "

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Identified
a reply to: smurfy

You can't compare today's driver assisted vehicle to what it will be like in 30 years when we will have truly autonomous vehicles that constantly communicate with each other. We have to drive something between now and then and so we might as well have driver assists now which help create better autonomy for the future Our roads also need constant repair and we know what is coming down the pike so we might as well try to accommodate the change.

There is going to be a huge adjustment for sure and the biggest obstacle isn't tech but liability and laws.

This is exactly what I was thinking. It's seems weird that we are installing all these roundabouts and other things that might not be needed in the near future, maybe very near future?

The other thing is that if roads are in disrepair cars could send that information, and even use that information to make sure that roads are evenly worn. Just imagine, a new road is put in, the cars are sent signals to drive it in a way that it evenly wears it, and maybe even by weight? Smaller cars drive closer to the edge etc. Who knows.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 09:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow
Title is wrong..

It should read "WHY self driving cars need stop lights. "

My title sucks, It probably should have read: How will self driving cars change infrastructure or
something like that.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 01:49 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Can you check your PM inbox please and thanks.

I know the site is broken but..

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 01:59 PM
link   

I do not advocate this devilry of self driving cars in any ways.

I was just entertaining a future, that I hope, but can not avoid, to be never existent.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 02:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jason79
There's some evidence to support the idea that traffic lights, road markings, signage, and the of "right of way" were never necessary. www.cnn.com...

"It defines a public space where movement is subject to social protocol and informal regulation, not traffic rules." Monderman pioneered the idea in the Netherlands claiming if traffic rules are taken away, people behave more carefully.
Road signs, traffic signals, roundabouts, crossing points and curbs are done away with and replaced by flat, smooth roads without markings, on which cars and people interact regularly.

I would not ever in a million years trust Americans to competently adapt to this, we're too fricking stupid over here to figure out the basic etiquette of a 4-way stop.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oleandra88

I do not advocate this devilry of self driving cars in any ways.

I was just entertaining a future, that I hope, but can not avoid, to be never existent.

I can't wait until it becomes mandatory.

Fun fact: I have a recurring nightmare of being in the passenger seat of a driverless car.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 06:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fallingdown
a reply to: scraedtosleep

I’m not sure I could sit in the metal box with no visibility while it’s doing 70 miles an hour down the interstate on auto pilot .

As a matter fact I know I couldn’t . 😱

Yeah, most people probably feel that way, which is extremely ironic. Since most people have no issue going 800 km, 30,000 thousand feet above the ground, in a tin can with a hundred different people, like cattle to the slaughter... while some coked out sex addict pilot has total control.

But yeah, automated cars! What kind of idiot would be comfortable riding in one?

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Throw in a exterior camera and a bubble wrap interior .

Maybe 🤔

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Dbl
edit on 29-10-2019 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

There’s not much to run into up there and especially no potholes .

If you don’t have to drive you can drink in the car. So the golden rule of of the 70s applies .

“ never drink while you’re driving, you might hit a bump and spill some “

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join