It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Outer Worlds ACG Review

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 25 2019 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

You're not understanding. Even if you play a savior who cares about others, what's right is not always clear. Decisions aren't black and white. Even if trying to do the right thing there are multiple paths depending on what you think is right.

posted on Oct, 26 2019 @ 06:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Puppylove

You're not understanding.

I understand what you said but in an RPG my character is an extension of me , I don't need the game to generate carma as that exists in my head , my first play through will be as the good guy come to right the wrongs of the Corporations and help the downtrodden people of the system but in my second I will return as Darth Gortex ... Destroyer of Worlds !

I'm interested to see how the endings differ.

posted on Oct, 26 2019 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

I get that, but I think you're kinda limiting yourself with the old fashioned binary.

You could go pro corporation, anti corporation, pro what seems will have the best results overall regardless of faction.

As for evil being a selfish playthrough, there's such a thing as enlightened self interest. Regardless of how self centric a person is to varying degrees most people realize they need at least a somewhat functional society to not only exist but keep themselves safe.

You can do all I said earlier and be just as self interested. Two people could take the same actions for different reasons. One could say, share their food with the rest of the community because they legitimately care about the community and their survival, while another could share their food because they recognize strength in numbers and desire bodies to help protect themselves from outside threats.

I just think people have become a bit oversimplified in how they view characterization. It often ends up either saint or full on psychopath often to an extent that goes beyond even real psychopaths.

I have a character in a game who has lead nations and armies made grand changed over multiple worlds. Everyone sees them as this wonderful beacon of light who's warm, loving, cares about and is loved by all. She has conquered whole nations and even brought entire worlds to heel.

At one point a individual on her crew was a bit well evil aligned and starting to cause issues so she took him aside and explained enlightened self interest to them. Never said if it's what she believed or followed, but did point out how all her actions got her where she is at that time. Then walked away.

I won't give away whether she's actually benevolent or an evil genius that truly understands enlightened self interest and how to make it work for you.

But to this day, that individual has changed their behavior and follows my character's lead convinced she's an evil genius. After all she's acquired the trust and respect of many nations spanding vast empires, has acquired access to wealth unimaginable, and leads a vast space armada, and she did it all without once having to tarnish her image as a loving and caring beacon of light.

Both versions of her are possible. Ever sense that scene I leave the dm and other players in the dark to the truth. So glad our game doesn't do alignment detection type crap. Which is good because a character like that can tear the alignment system to pieces.

edit on 10/26/2019 by Puppylove because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 26 2019 @ 04:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
Purchased the game and now , with others , I wait for the start of the weekend.

And I can't throw a sickie.

I think you sound a little rough my friend, maybe a day off would help you recover, oh and play Outer worlds from your sickbed

I will call your boss for you

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I am having such a good time with this game! It's been a very long time since a game managed to immerse me in this manner - and it's an experience I've been actively seeking and hoping for since I tossed a Morrowind disc into an Xbox in 2003 and absolutely fell in love with that game - playing it over and over again for the following 16-ish years.

This game is SO good!

I'm half convinced that a few years back somebody at Obsidian casually said something like "Too bad we can't make another KOTOR game but only using an engine more like the one Bethesda uses." - and somebody else replied "EA has the Star Wars license tied up for decades now so it'll never happen. Besides, I prefer Firefly / Serenity anyway..."

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   
CHAOTIC NEUTRALS MOUNT UP!~

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 12:11 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

Honestly I've yet to give it enough time. Everyone I know though is telling me how great it is, I was starting to get use to playing rpg-lite fps disguised as Fallout.

posted on Oct, 27 2019 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Hefficide

It's hitting the sweet spot for me too , the humour is on point and amount of stuff to do plentiful.
So far my biggest WTF moment was returning to my ship to be greeted by cows in the hold ... Lol.

Desperately looking for some male crew mates , the chicks are doing my head in.

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Well I bit the bullet and bought it, played through it on story mode because I always like to explore every nook and cranny and there is a lot to do but it need's to be a lot bigger than it is, still a great game and un modded it is far superior to fallout 4 but a modded fallout 4 still has some edge depending on what mod's you have.

It is smoother and less resource hungry than fallout 4 using the unreal engine even with the setting set to ultra and I like that, level's are a bit small but still big enough though there need's to be a lot more of them.

As soon as mod makers get the necessary tool's this is going to take off in a very big way but for now I still believe once it is done that the Fallout 4 New Vegas mod a total recreation of fallout NV in the fallout 4 engine is going to be by far the superior game.
f4nv.com...

But you can definitely feel the new Vegas vibe at time's during this and I do love the way you can upgrade just about everything if not so much the fact they have over simplified the ammo system and the weapon component upgrade system.

Still as it stand's it's a kick in Bethesda's nut's and a good one.

Well worth getting but I wonder how it is going to stand up against Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order when that is released though being an origin game and a fixed character that one is not really directly comparable and is also likely to have a lot of platform on the rail's missions to complete.

You know we were going to have an open world Star Wars RPG but EA kicked it in the teeth when it was nearly done and shut the studio down, it too was going to have a fixed character BUT an open world and a free to roam universe with many world's and mission's ranging from smuggling to bounty hunting but some claim it was a linear adventure which is also not the same as an RPG or open world so maybe it is not such a big loss after all, guess we shall never know.

So A thumb's up from me for the outer world's, 8.5 out of ten on my scale, bit too repetitive in it's environment, too few location's and not enough worlds, too little variation in enemy's and once you have played it three or four time's you may find yourself going back to other RPG's because of this lack of variation, it has a lot of stuff to do but is too short over all, what there is of it though is superb.
Wonder what happened to the earth, Invasion story DLC, War back home or some terrible disaster, the end scene mentions that other nearby colonies aid the halcyon system so are they also cut off from earth, could it be a colonial rebellion and halcyon is just out of the loop, one thing Obsidian does as in NV and The Outer World's is spin good yarn's and make good NPC's but they have left so many loose end's here I get the impression the game was intended to be a lot larger but they got taken off for other projects and had to finish up and polish it before they were completed, consoles are were the money is I suppose but still, something (very big) is missing and leaves the game feeling too small.

posted on Nov, 6 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: LABTECH767

I was really hyped for Jedi: Fallen Order for awhile but then the first gameplay reveals were shown and my enthusiasm dropped a bit because the gameplay shown didn't really match up to my expectations.

For years I'd been wanting and waiting for an open world, RPG game set in the Star Wars Universe. Several infamously cancelled games ( 1313. Ragtag, Orca ) all hinted at that ( to varying degrees ). The games you referenced.

I wish I was excited about Fallen Order but they went in a Souls-like direction with it and while I can appreciate the Souls games objectively, subjectively I just don't enjoy playing them.

posted on Jan, 12 2023 @ 03:14 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 22 2023 @ 05:37 AM
link   
For whatever reason; I keep on getting this game mixed up with No Man's Sky, Starfield, and/or Star Citizen when browsing through gameplay videos on Youtube. Regardless; I look forward to playing all of these.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join