It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New string day for the Stratocaster

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Had to do some work on it today so I added some new strings.

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 01:01 AM
link   
a reply to: musicismagic

Nice! How long have you been playing for?

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

Still learning, but kind of an advance beginner. I mostly write my own songs and have had a few musicians record them for fun. If you want to listen to 2 of them pm and I'll send you a link on Box. com

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 03:47 AM
link   
Nice looking Squier. A good strat is nice to have. I’d be lost without guitars in my life.

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 04:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: musicismagic

Still learning, but kind of an advance beginner. I mostly write my own songs and have had a few musicians record them for fun. If you want to listen to 2 of them pm and I'll send you a link on Box. com

I lament my fingers aching to tickle the strings of my guitar/s... I get too used to playing the acoustic that my fingers fall short on the electric, and vice versa.

And no one, least of all me, wants to hear the tortured sounds of these distressed machines being punished by my inability to play, even after all these years.

I swear I was born with deranged fingers anyway, they just don't listen to my brain

*sad face*

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 07:37 AM
link   
So what's your take on strings? Ernie Ball Extra Super Slinkys? GHS Boomers of Nickel Rockers?
TNT,Cryo, blue?
C'mon if you're gonna talk guitar schtick, talk!
Me personally, I'm a GHS Boomer guy, except for my jazz box which need flat (wound 3rd) jazz strings.
On the other hand, back in the day (waaay back) it was all we could do was to put together a set of 8's and wail like Jimmy Page.
So what's your flavor, strato-blaster?

ganjoa

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I'm doing a Strat rebuild right now myself. I've been playing for 28 years, keep at it!

For strings, I use Ernie Ball Cobalt 10-52 on every guitar I own. LOVE them!

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 10:01 AM
link   
I'm a guitar builder, would say luthier but no one knows what it means.

check out this herringbone mesquite stratocaster I just finished. I'm playing through a hand wired 5e3 tweed deluxe I built about a year ago

Yay guitars!!!!!

youtu.be...

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I like Earnie ball strings, Earthwood Phosphor bronze medium light 12-54 for my Yamaha FS720S tuned to CGCFAD and is
very etherial and haunting to me
Earnie Ball Beefy Slinky 11-54 for my Epiphone Les Paul Standard and Jackson V also down tuned to CGCFAD somtimes
i use DADGBE [Drop D] tunings very Metal
I strted playing when i was 12, omg that was 45 years ago! still play every day, still not too good [to my ears] but still learning always learning! Had a band from 1979 to 82 could'nt handle the horrible smelly touring anymore with little money!
Never give up trying to play

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 04:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: kent04
I'm a guitar builder, would say luthier but no one knows what it means.

check out this herringbone mesquite stratocaster I just finished. I'm playing through a hand wired 5e3 tweed deluxe I built about a year ago

Yay guitars!!!!!

youtu.be...

I have scratch-built a few (and rebuilt more) over the years but I am no luthier. My attention turned to repairing/rebuilding tube amps and I did that for several years. I've been playing guitar and bass for over forty years now, started on drums in 1975.

My choice for guitar strings is also Ernie Ball.

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: TimHeller
I like Earnie ball strings, Earthwood Phosphor bronze medium light 12-54 for my Yamaha FS720S tuned to CGCFAD and is
very etherial and haunting to me
Earnie Ball Beefy Slinky 11-54 for my Epiphone Les Paul Standard and Jackson V also down tuned to CGCFAD somtimes
i use DADGBE [Drop D] tunings very Metal
I strted playing when i was 12, omg that was 45 years ago! still play every day, still not too good [to my ears] but still learning always learning! Had a band from 1979 to 82 could'nt handle the horrible smelly touring anymore with little money!
Never give up trying to play

I was playing up until last winter in a blues/classic rock/motown band. The money still isn't any good.

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Who knew...a bunch of guitar players on ATS.

D'Addario for me, every string, every time.

I have been playing my strat more recently. I love the neck/middle pickup position with the "quacky" sound. I have "10s", either straight or with a light bottom...can't remember. It took me some time to tolerate playing a plain 3rd again after years of playing only dreadnoughts. The overtones that come off the string between the nut and the tuner drive me bonkers...I always have to dampen/mute it.

posted on Oct, 18 2019 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Does your Squier have stock pick ups did you change them out?

I have a Squier telecaster—one of the first I bought when I started playing again about 8 years ago—that is all stock hardware and the same color burst as yours, and a few years ago got a MIM strat, black on black, which is my baby.

I mostly play my acoustic Epiphone DR 500mce, though, unless I'm recording non-acoustic music, in which case I break out the strat.

For electric strings Markley Blue Steel mediums, and for acoustic Martin phosphor bronze lights.

Nice gramophone, too. Is is real/does it work?

posted on Oct, 20 2019 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I turned my Road Worn 50s strat into a David Gilmour “ replica “ sort of thing. 920D Gilmour loaded pickguard, with the Gilmour switch and the correct pickups. It is so sweet to play. That and my Les Paul are the two that I’ll never sell.

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 04:04 PM
link   
a reply to: bringmecoffee

I have a friend who did the same. The "Gilmour switch" is probably my favorite Strat mod. Dropping out the middle pickup and just using bridge/neck sounds fantastic!
Never been a Strat player myself, my main guitars are a CIJ Jaguar w/ Vintage 65 pickups and an MIM Telecaster Thinline with Churchill Custom pickups. Stringwise, flatwound 13-56 on the Jag and I recently restrung the Tele with D'Addario half-round mediums (11-49). Really digging the half-rounds, smoother feel than round wounds but still very bright and chimey. My friend put half-rounds on his Strat and he's loving them too.

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Check this guitar out!

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 05:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: bringmecoffee
Nice looking Squier. A good strat is nice to have. I’d be lost without guitars in my life.

Got lucky on this Squier, made in Indonesia. Totally solid playing guitar.

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 05:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: ganjoa
So what's your take on strings? Ernie Ball Extra Super Slinkys? GHS Boomers of Nickel Rockers?
TNT,Cryo, blue?
C'mon if you're gonna talk guitar schtick, talk!
Me personally, I'm a GHS Boomer guy, except for my jazz box which need flat (wound 3rd) jazz strings.
On the other hand, back in the day (waaay back) it was all we could do was to put together a set of 8's and wail like Jimmy Page.
So what's your flavor, strato-blaster?

ganjoa

As long as I can buy 8's for 700 yen or less, I'll buy them, but ernie ball strings seem to be the only ones. Use to like USA made Fender strings, but since going down south to mexico, one might just as well buy cheap chinese made strings with no name brand. Bullets were my favorite for many years, but now, they seem to have no life in them

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Check this guitar out!

In Tokyo, there's a place that does wood carving on its guitars. I stayed for about 2 hours watching the carver carve out an Indian Head on the body, so cool.

posted on Oct, 23 2019 @ 05:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: underpass61
a reply to: bringmecoffee

I have a friend who did the same. The "Gilmour switch" is probably my favorite Strat mod. Dropping out the middle pickup and just using bridge/neck sounds fantastic!
Never been a Strat player myself, my main guitars are a CIJ Jaguar w/ Vintage 65 pickups and an MIM Telecaster Thinline with Churchill Custom pickups. Stringwise, flatwound 13-56 on the Jag and I recently restrung the Tele with D'Addario half-round mediums (11-49). Really digging the half-rounds, smoother feel than round wounds but still very bright and chimey. My friend put half-rounds on his Strat and he's loving them too.

13's wow. Couldn't play them now. lol

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join