It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Nintendo too big to fail?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I don’t think that they are, however, I think they have enough capital available to shield them from reality. 20x over. This is why from the Wii forward they’ve totally botched every online interaction offered by everyone else.

Nintendo is incapable and will never get a proper online platform.
It’s not that they’re incapable, it’s that their culture is their #1 inhibitor.

Japanese culture is steep in tradition, ritual, and custom.

These very strong attributes continually work against them in an ever changing and evolving market.

Nintendo has got to evolve...

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 04:44 AM
link   
a reply to: EternalSolace

My mom called me a few days ago because she found my old NES and wanted to know what to do with it.

What are the botches do you think and what should be done?

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 04:45 AM
link   

The company has been around since 1889, so they must be doing something right I guess, Linky

Then again, I'm not a gamer and I know nothing about the industry, so there is that, 🤷🏻‍♂️

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Nintendo is incapable and will never get a proper online platform.
It’s not that they’re incapable, it’s that their culture is their #1 inhibitor.

Japanese culture is steep in tradition, ritual, and custom.

I don't think you can blame Japanese culture. Sony have nailed it with their online platform.

I think Nintendo's target market are children and nostalgic adults therefore they've not really needed to adapt to the mega market that is online gaming.

Just my thoughts on the matter.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Nintendo dominates the handheld console market globally with very little competition, they have a similar and all together different audience.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Hmmm, I'm not really sure what even brought about this question. Nintendo's doing fine, in fact, they have an advantage lately. Sony is censoring games left and right, whereas Nintendo actually isn't. It's weird to think that the company that made Mortal Kombat censor itself back in the day is now the game console with the most freedoms in it's games.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I've played a TON of Dark Souls Remastered, online, on the Switch and I don't get the gripe you have with their online platform. My son also has countless hours on Fortnite via Switch.

That said, Nintendo has and always will strive to just make fun games rather than focus on graphics, etc... They'll do just fine.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 10:16 AM
link   

I wish some of that apparent Japanese culture would bleed over to the Playstation as well, sick and tired of having games that basically force you online. Online multiplayer has its place, and that's fine, some of us want a completely disconnected experience, which is fine also. If the biggest selling point to a gaming system is its ability for online multiplayer or even an online store experience, build a gaming PC, that's pretty much what they do best.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Nintendo seems to be doing quite well. They reinvented themselves with the Wii and have rebounded from the marketing disaster which was the Wii U to be very competitive and profitable with the Switch. They may not have what you're looking for, but they sure seem to have what a lot of other gamers want... seems like a fan boi gripe to me.

posted on Oct, 15 2019 @ 11:13 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Thanks for the personal jab. I’m aware I’m a pariah on this site.

Doesn’t neglect Nintendo’s continual failure behind every other console out there.

I am a Nintendo fan boy. I love Nintendo. I love some Original Metroid, zelda, Star Fox.

However, Nintendo is completely stupid in competing in todays’s online market place and online services.

We Nintendo fans buy Nintendo to support. Doesn’t mean we can’t call them on their stupidity.

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 12:55 AM
link   

The problem is the majority of Nintendo fans disagree with you here.

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 02:57 AM
link   

I’m aware I’m a pariah on this site.

Your star to post ratio suggests otherwise...

posted on Oct, 16 2019 @ 11:25 PM
link   

What are you talking about Nintendo is generally the first ones to evolve, half the stuff you see in modern consoles Nintendo did it first, then big players with deeper pockets took over and did it bigger.

Weren't they a Japanese card and games company before they went into videogames. I would say there likely to be around a long while because of the stuff they do.

They cater to all types of gaming experiences, and are evolving more so in that department then there competitors, the handheld gaming is big in Japan, not so much in the US.

Or at least not as big as it used to be. But in general if you want to get something that is multifaceted get a Nintendo, if you want all the big games and big tittles, get a PlayStation or X-box. Mario, and Mario Kart are still my favorite games out there, and there just fun.

But these days, dont play as much videogames as I used. In fact may just be me, but I think the whole videogame market shrunk. Could be me though, once you get a bit older, you kind of phase of that stuff. But for all I know, does seem like the videogame market has taken a dive. Even the VR stuff that was supposed to take over from years ago. Does not look like it did.

And nintendo with there handhelds and games for kids, is still going strong though.

posted on Oct, 22 2019 @ 08:32 AM
link   
For the sake of argument, let's say that a video game crash were to occur tommorow. Would Nintendo survive? My answer would be yes. There are several factors that build up to this but I would say it's mainly brand recognition and a loyal fanbase. Parents will always buy their kids Nintendo games and consoles (along with toys, clothes, etc.) and fans will do the same. Nintendo is known for doing some pretty stupid business decisions that, in my view, would kill a smaller company, but they can always bounce back due to how people will always buy whatever they sell.

Proof of this is the Wii U. If this was anyone else, it woulda died like the Dreamcast (unfortunately) or Jaguar. But since it's Nintendo, people kept on buying it and its games.

So yes, I would say Nintendo is too big to fail. They'll have setbacks yes, but they will be around for a very very long time

new topics

top topics

join