It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

California bans fur

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 04:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: vethumanbeing

Do you think circuses are the same as zoos?

I don't really like zoos, but I do know there is a difference.

Zoos are not much better, they breed animals like Lions on purpose and kill the kittens after they get too big, and they do not draw people to see them cute kitties anymore, then they become a burden, and they do not have the space, and other zoos also do not have the space, so they systematically breed and kill young and endangered animals.

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 05:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: solve

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: JAGStorm

Of course it does not apply to politicians plush leather airplane seats with mink pillows & blankets.

Leather is a by product fur generally isn't , fur looks best on the animal it originated on so support this forward thinking move by California.

But leather comes from animals too, so the next logical step is to ban leather, right?

How big is the leather industry that hunts and kills animals just for their leather?

Is it as big as the fur industry?

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 05:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit
a reply to: vonclod

I Wonder how the Native Americans living in California Think about that . Just another Slap in the Face by the White Man i guess........

I'm sure they used every part of the animal when they killed it. You know, actually doing it right.

People who wear fur for fashion today (or because it just feels nice) don't give a toss about the animal..

But enjoy your fur coat, over your polyester shirt and cotton undies. Your woollen socks and rubber sneakers, and your corduroy pants.

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 06:10 AM
link   
a reply to: solve

Please don't judge all circus animals by those that are abused and forced to perform. Some animals love performing for a crowd.

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 06:26 AM
link   
And now I read school can't start till 8:30 in Cali. What part of your life do they not want to control?

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 06:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
www.usatoday.com...

California becomes first state to ban fur production and sales; animals also barred from circuses

I'm not a big fur proponent, I think it's ugly, but is this law really needed?
This does not apply to leather, which I find hilarious. But just you wait, leather is next.
Bye bye soft car seat, or office chairs!

Of course it does not apply to politicians plush leather airplane seats with mink pillows & blankets.

It appears everything is Illegal in California except illegal aliens!

I see they stopped short of banning animal breeding mills... otherwise, how are idiots gonna be able to buy super rare breeds for thousands of dollars.

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 06:33 AM
link   

California bans fur

Are they requiring the residents to all shave the south end of their midriffs as well?

Cheers

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 11:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: gallop

Leather is a by product fur generally isn't , fur looks best on the animal it originated on so support this forward thinking move by California.

But leather comes from animals too, so the next logical step is to ban leather, right?

How big is the leather industry that hunts and kills animals just for their leather?

Would be easier just to ban furs that come from China, and keep that separated from native fur bearing animals, that are also in many cases, eaten, so they are not hunted just for the fur.

Keeping in mind that leather is NOT just a by product, it is a big part of the income from this line of business.

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Bully for California saving us from plastic straws and tiny shampoo bottles at hotels. Too bad the most toxic thing in the whole state is mostly in the minds of politicians and university professors - those who know better than the rest of us.

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

There are people that work with leathers and furs for people that are far from rich

That's because the fur they're using is farmed , animals grown in cage's for fur then harvested.

Are you are comfortable with that ?

I'm not.

Leather is a by product , the rest of the carcass is used so it's a different thing.

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 01:03 PM
link   
When I was a kid and we lived overseas for a while, my mother threw down an asinine amount of money on a luxury mink coat, just to have as a status symbol and to brag about/show off when we got back stateside.
Then she never touched it again, and let it fall apart in the closet over the years. What a complete waste of a hell of a lot of money.

I have NO problem with this law. If you have to have something like an animal's fur as a damn status symbol, then you don't need it at all.

originally posted by: gallop

The common leather you think of for wallets and such today is bovine in origin. It's an afterthought of the beef cattle industry sort of like the how poultry down usage for pillows/blankets, diaper fluff (not kidding here), etc is an afterthought of the poultry industry. If you're going to eat the animal, you might as well use the whole damn thing at least, so there's that.
Thus no, it's not on par with the fur industry, where the animals generally aren't even eaten but just skinned (when was the last time your ass saw some fox or mink in the meat cooler?) but nice try there.
edit on 10/14/2019 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: mikell
And now I read school can't start till 8:30 in Cali. What part of your life do they not want to control?

Um, most eveything like school or work has a start time, I'm not sure what you're talking about here?

edit on 14-10-2019 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Would you place those farmed furs in the same category as wild hunted bears or beavers?

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 02:35 PM
link   

No because wild bears and beavers live in the wild and have a chance to be beavers and bears, they also have a chance of escape.

Farmed animals are a commodity and treated as such , they live their short life in a cage.
edit on 14-10-2019 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 02:51 PM
link   

so ALL the leather available in the United States and used at many different levels is farmed, are you 100% certain that is going to be what you stand on?

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Irishhaf

so ALL the leather available in the United States and used at many different levels is farmed,

Mostly by traditional methods , I should have said factory farmed animal in relation to fur farming.

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 03:36 PM
link   

So you agree that the ban of fur should not include those that came from native wild animals?

I have visited those fox farms, oh boy what a sight to see.. A mountain of carcass.
I did not approve those cage floors, way too big holes in the bottom, must be terrible to walk on those all day.

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 03:39 PM
link   
If you're going to ban fur, you might was well ban leather, too.

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 03:48 PM
link   

So you agree that the ban of fur should not include those that came from native wild animals?

You would soon find you have no native wild animals left so I think it would have to be a blanket ban.

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 03:53 PM
link   

The populations of many fur bearing species has been growing steadily and the amount of fur products being sold makes no difference in amount of permits given to hunt them, so the current amounts are sustainable.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join