It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In the last 19 years workers wages have been cut dramatically by inflation

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

CPI has nothing to do with labor skills.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: dfnj2015

originally posted by: Fools
THought I would post as Manny Hanny real quick....

IMPEACH TRUMP!!! TRUMP IS A CRIMINAL!!! HE MAKES EVERYTHING BAD!!!

Only impeach Trump if we have real evidence he broke the law. For example, how he admitted on national television he broke Federal Election laws twice. Trumps problem is not the Democrats. Trumps problem is he has stuck his own foot too far down his own throat.

I like Trump pulling troops out of the Middle East. In my opinion, the Middle East is a waste of money. The people living there are just way too belligerent to ever have peace. I just don't care if Arabs are kill Arabs.

And I like what Trump is doing with China on trade. The Chinese pegging the Yuan to the dollar has destroyed ALL our factories. It's not different than if the Chinese invaded this country with military force and destroyed all our livelihoods with guns and tanks. Why should the Chinese make trillions in the US economy using our roads and bridges to distribute their crappy products and NOT pay a single dime in taxes for the upkeep of our transportation system. Eff 'em. Put a $1000 tariff on every container coming into this country and rebuild every single bridge and road in this country. We need good paying jobs to return back to this country or will will have no tax base to support military spending.

That said, if Trump is shown to break the law he should be impeached. If the Democrats broke any laws put the effers in Jail. I just wish more Republicans would openly support putting their own party members in jail. The rule of law and Constitution has to come first before political party in my opinion.

Sorry man, that we me trying to be funny. I really dont want to divert this OP - ok? I was just making light of our "new" crowd of TDS people.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Now, compare that CPI inflation of the 38 years ago to 19 years ago.
$100 in 1981 = $189.44 in 2000

Yes, CPI has been getting worse with inflation, however it has been steady in comparison to periods prior.
The highest period for CPI in the US was in 1968.
$100.00 in 1969 = $247.68 in 1981

So relatively speaking inflation is about equal to what it was in that period, from 1951 to 1969.

That was one of the most prosperous periods in US history.
$100 in 1951 = $141.16 in 1969

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 11:03 AM
link   

I completely disagree. People need housing. People have to eat. People need transportation. The CPI is the exactly what is needed. Otherwise, what you are saying is "Screw the worker. Who cares." Which of course you are entitle to your opinion. But don't be a pussy with your round about language. Have some backbone and just say what you mean, "screw the workers it doesn't matter to me."

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: XCrycek
Of course it has, and it's not only in the USA but in Europe as well.
But hey, people think middle class is thriving if Dow Jones is in green.

Europe is dominated by Capitalist governments, it's no surprise workers are working for peanuts.
Getting rid of those unions hasnt worked out too well has it.
Every brexit talk head is now saying people voted to wreck the economy, lose jobs and see wages stagnate now, the EU blows mucho money trying to prop up wrecked economies like Greece and sees knock on effects, America voted in trump despite obvious warnings he doesn't understand real world money, flat taxes never work.
People keep voting in Capitalists with failed ideas and wonder why nothing changes, circle of life innit.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: dubiousatworst
Now, compare that CPI inflation of the 38 years ago to 19 years ago.
$100 in 1981 = $189.44 in 2000

Yes, CPI has been getting worse with inflation, however it has been steady in comparison to periods prior.
The highest period for CPI in the US was in 1968.
$100.00 in 1969 = $247.68 in 1981

So relatively speaking inflation is about equal to what it was in that period, from 1951 to 1969.

That was one of the most prosperous periods in US history.
$100 in 1951 = $141.16 in 1969

You do realize inflation is only half of the equation. The other half is wages. It's the difference between the two that makes the economy go zooom!

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 11:07 AM
link   

I completely disagree. People need housing. People have to eat. People need transportation. The CPI is the exactly what is needed. Otherwise, what you are saying is "Screw the worker. Who cares." Which of course you are entitle to your opinion. But don't be a pussy with your round about language. Have some backbone and just say what you mean, "screw the workers it doesn't matter to me."

Maybe you don't understand the difference between needs and wants...

You need housing... you want a 4 bedroom house with a pool.

You need a car to get you from A to B, you want a BMW 5 series with all the bells and whistles.

You need to be able to make a phone call, you want a new Iphone 11 or whatever.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: mtnshredder
a reply to: dfnj2015
I agree with this assessment and something I’ve been vocal about many times on this site. Wage increases have not kept up with inflation and have actually decreased dramatically. But there’s always someone saying differently because they’ve been fortunate enough to be part of a small group of people that have received pay increases. This has not been the case for the general public. Certainly hasn’t been true for the construction trade I’ve been involved in for almost forty years.

Thank you for your thoughtful post and sharing your experience as a constructor worker.

It's funny how there's always a crop of people posting here saying, "no, it's not a problem." It kind of pisses me off. Don't tell me how to feel. It feels really bad like my money just isn't buying as much. I'm going to the ATM too much and everything seems insanely expensive to me.

As far as I can tell the CPI is the only non-superstitious way of looking at this problem objectively. I thought maybe I was wrong. But from my OP, I think the numbers represent EXACTLY what I've been feeling over the last 19 years!!

edit on 11-10-2019 by dfnj2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   
and the fix to that is to make the supply of labor lower, meaning that workers labor would be valued higher.

The other side of the equation is fixed by limiting immigration, while taxing imports.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Stop with the BS arguments. Can we just stick to the CPI numbers.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: dubiousatworst

There is no fix. People are screwed. The leaders of this country are not interested in having a strong America.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Remember when only doctors and drug dealers had beepers/cell phones? Now, 10 year olds have them.

I remember paying a couple hundred bucks for a Nokia phone back in the day that basically just made phone calls compared with my current Samsung s7 that has more computing power than the $5,000+ laptop I had for work 25 years ago.

The cheapest base model cars 25 years ago had roll up windows, no air, no air bags, drum brakes, no radio, etc. The cheapest base model cars now have power everything, airbags, adaptive cruise control, back up cameras, bluetooth, etc. The same stuff that would have been found on $50k plus cars 10 years ago.

Remember when a flat screen TV cost like $10,000 20 years ago and now you can get 4k TVs for like $250.

Food. You had to cook everything back in the day. Now, everyone wants prepared meals and organic fruits / veggies grown by elves under rainbows fertilized with unicorn tears and wonder why one apple cost $1.50.

When I went to daycare as a kid, it was often staying at some retired grandmother's house. Now parents want their kids in Montessori or some other fancy Harvard for 5 year olds with organic lunches and yoga during recess.

People bought small starter homes. 2 or 3 bedrooms with 1 bath. Pfft. Now everyone needs a 5,000 square foot McMansion designed by Chip and Joanna Gaines.

The only inflation is inflation of EXPECTATIONS by in large.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Stop with the BS arguments. Can we just stick to the CPI numbers.

Only BS because you haven't been able to make a logical counter point.

We agree that medical and tuition are inflated. However, you have not provided any hard data that cannot be refuted that there is a crisis of inflation of everyday goods and services.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Another point, I find it funny that people are on the internet ranting... the internet is largely free compared to 30 years ago when I remember having to pay like $3.00 PER HOUR just to use AOL, compuserve, and other services. On a computer that cost several grand with a monochrome monitor and a 5 1/4 floppy drive. My freaking watch as 100x's more computing power.

Same people posting from their Iphones with basically unlimited internet....

But muh, inflation is so bad.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

I agree with this assessment and something I’ve been vocal about many times on this site. Wage increases have not kept up with inflation and have actually decreased dramatically. But there’s always someone saying differently because they’ve been fortunate enough to be part of a small group of people that have received pay increases. This has not been the case for the general public. Certainly hasn’t been true for the construction trade I’ve been involved in for almost forty years.

High skilled jobs have seen wage increases....

However, low skilled jobs have not. A big issue is illegal immigration of low skilled workers AND jobs being sent over seas in those sectors.

It is ironic because many of the people on the left complaining also support illegal immigration and globalism. They can't connect the dots to how their policy positions on the above result in many of the very issues they complain about.

I've brought this up too... feminism and women entering the work force has also suppressed wages over the years as well by increasing the supply of workers. This is not to say that women shouldn't have the ability to work whatever job they want, but you also have to acknowledge the consequences of practically doubling the supply of workers which is inevitably lowering wages.

All so true. Trades such as construction have been hit with a double whammy, not only are the pay scales stagnating but the labor pool has been flooded with illegals taking jobs, which in turn has also lowered the rate of pay considerably in order for companies to stay competitive in the trade. I don’t believe most people understand the ramifications illegals are having on citizens employed in certain trades, especially the construction trade. I closed my business as a result of not being able to maintain a legal business as required by law and still have a profitable business. The profit margin had shrunk to a point that it was no longer viable to keep the doors open.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 11:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

High skilled jobs have seen wage increases....

However, low skilled jobs have not. A big issue is illegal immigration of low skilled workers AND jobs being sent over seas in those sectors.

It is ironic because many of the people on the left complaining also support illegal immigration and globalism. They can't connect the dots to how their policy positions on the above result in many of the very issues they complain about.

I've brought this up too... feminism and women entering the work force has also suppressed wages over the years as well by increasing the supply of workers. This is not to say that women shouldn't have the ability to work whatever job they want, but you also have to acknowledge the consequences of practically doubling the supply of workers which is inevitably lowering wages.

All so true. Trades such as construction have been hit with a double whammy, not only are the pay scales stagnating but the labor pool has been flooded with illegals taking jobs, which in turn has also lowered the rate of pay considerably in order for companies to stay competitive in the trade. I don’t believe most people understand the ramifications illegals are having on citizens employed in certain trades, especially the construction trade. I closed my business as a result of not being able to maintain a legal business as required by law and still have a profitable business. The profit margin had shrunk to a point that it was no longer viable to keep the doors open.

Yup. Family friend had to close his cleaning business as he couldn't compete hiring legal workers.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 11:50 AM
link   

This is so area specific no one calculation can be accurate.

For example, the house I bought in Illinois costs less now than what I paid for it in 1999.

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 11:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

This is so area specific no one calculation can be accurate.

For example, the house I bought in Illinois costs less now than what I paid for it in 1999.

Mine too... but you know what has increased? My god damn property taxes!

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Lol...hellinois.....

posted on Oct, 11 2019 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Another example:

My cell phone bill in the late 90s was about $100/mo. I remember it being a big deal because I got unlimited data and free nationwide roaming. I traveled a lot for work at the time. Those of you old enough remember when there wasn't great nationwide cell phone coverage and if you went away from a large city, you got hit with "roaming charges". Keep in mind, this was just for VOICE. We didn't have texting / email on phones then. Not too mention the phone IRCC was like $300 or $400 bucks. Crappy LCD screen.

I still pay about $100/mo but now I have a Samsung s7 edge. It isn't even the latest model. I think we are on an S10 now. However, the phone is practically a laptop with HD resolution screen. Full on internet and streaming videos, movies, etc. HD screen resolution. The cellphone camera has more megapixels than my freaking DSLR Canon d5000 camera that I bought about 10 years ago.

But yeah, inflation...

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join