It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two EOD soldiers killed by World War II munition in Poland

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Two Polish soldiers killed while trying to defuse WWII explosives

WARSAW, Poland — Authorities in southern Poland say two skilled army soldiers have been killed and four have been injured while trying to defuse World War II explosives recently found in the forest near the town of Kuznia Raciborska.

S and S Article

The munitions were apparently found by people walking in the forest who reported the location to authorities.

Cheers
edit on 9-10-2019 by F2d5thCavv2 because: redirect thread to reflect new topic

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 09:32 AM
link   

trying to defuse World War II explosives

I'd think controlled detonation would be the default procedure with such old stuff.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: moebius

trying to defuse World War II explosives

I'd think controlled detonation would be the default procedure with such old stuff.

Agree. Hard to say what happened without detailed information.

Cheers

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

The spokesman for the Armed Forces General Command, Lieutenant Colonel Marek Pawlak, informed that the explosion took place during the removal of unexploded ordinances. Two soldiers died at the scene.

tvn24.pl report

Cheers

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 10:44 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

A lot of times they'll try to recover and render safe/demilitarize old ordnance if possible.

Sometimes it doesn't work out.

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 11:20 AM
link   
british " best practice " = blow it up - in situ . UNLESS vulnerable infrastructure lies within the estimated danger zone . sometimes building berms or positioning huge concrete slabs can mitigate damage

but other times - he presence of oil // gss pipes etc or other things mean that they have to attempt to make safe on the spot and either remove the thing with all know initiators removed - or empty it on site [ steam or solvents to extract the filler ]

adly - when it goes wrong - thats the bigest headines

i assume the poles do things pretty similar to us .

elcome to the big NAAFI in teh sky chaps

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Perhaps they were unclear if the weapons found where chemical or conventional so blowing in place wasn’t an option? If that was the case then I’d imagine they would try to remove it. Either way I’m surprised they didn’t use the robot to do most of the “heavy lifting”?

new topics

top topics

join