It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My fantasy post-Brexit trade bloc

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I’d like to see the USA, UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand form a post-Brexit trade bloc that would make the EU and China appear rather puny in comparison.

The combined GDP of such a bloc would be $27.5 trillion, or 31.5 percent of the world total. Its combined population would be 463 million — more than a UKless EU (447 million).

It would have a GDP almost twice the size of China’s ($14.2 trillion) and 1.73 times that of the post-Brexit EU ($15.9 trillion).

The combined consumer market of the USA, UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand is $16.8 trillion, or more than 38 percent of the world total. This compares to the post-Brexit EU of $7.9 trillion and China’s $4.7 trillion consumer market.

I like having a common language and largely similar cultures among the five members of my bloc, but it’s tempting to add the remaining Asian First World-nations to create an absolute economic monster.

Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and Singapore boast a combined GDP of $7.8 trillion and a population of 207 million.

Adding their GDPs and population to our world-beating trade bloc brings the total GDP to $35.3 trillion (40 percent of the world GDP) and 670 million people.

That’s about 2.5 times the GDP of China and 2.2 times that of the post-Brexit EU.

If Japan, South Korea, Taiwan and Singapore are added to the mix, the combined consumer market swells to $20.6 trillion. That’s 47 percent of the world consumer market. China’s share is 10.7 percent and the post-Brexit EU’s is 18 percent. Who ya gonna sell your stuff to China and EU?

If acting in concert, no nation or trade bloc relying heavily on exports could screw over our members without potentially very painful reprisals.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Scapegrace

I love any idea that would boost the UK post Brexit and make the EU look like the idiots they are.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: PsychoEmperor

I love any idea that would boost the UK post Brexit and make the EU look like the idiots they are.

Agreed.

Although I would not want to be escaping the clutches of one globalist agenda, to form another.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 12:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Churchhousecreeper

I'd be quite happy with that, as long as it is our (Anglo) globalist agenda! 😁

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Just wait until Other Side of the Coin reads this... Positivity about Brexit!!!! He will be spitting venom at his screen

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Shame Australia, Canada, America, China etc aren't right on our doorstep like Europe.
The tories even admit we won't get better deals than we had and will be a disaster[/u rl] , opening poster is a fantasist.
Opening poster would do well to try reading what Dmitry Grozoubinski, Australia's former trade negotiator knows.

[url=https://twitter.com/DmitryOpines/status/1180265819550470144?s=20]lol

The brexit brain trust never has been one to look at facts however.
Giving up the NHS because a few people don't like Muslims will look silly to everyone soon.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I am up for anything that crushes China. Peeps dont realize that every cheap piece of plastic dog poop not only funds their military, but contributes to the global pollution problem.

Although I bet your Extinction Rebellion folk love their Amazon 24hr delivery.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Not a bad idea, and it would keep us English speakers in a bloc that could make more demands on the EU and China for fairer trade deals.
I've also never understood why the British commonwealth isn't in a better position for a trade bloc.

a reply to: lakenheath24

Anything that keeps china on the backfoot rather than on the front and keeps their military spending down, is better for all in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I gotta say if we were leaving the EU to join such a bloc I would be all for it, unfortunately I highly doubt we will ever see a bloc like that but it would be quite something.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 07:48 PM
link   

I don't think that NZ would add that much.

Also the US doesn't like anyone who isn't the US now, so i can't really see it happening.

edit on 8/10/2019 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

top topics

join