It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government study on the publics reaction to extraterrestrials

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Deetermined

It would be ironic if the only reason we do not have disclosure is because of the fear all the scientists and engineers would stop coming to work!

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 04:37 PM
link   
You all know how I feel about this. At least you will in 2 seconds.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I was thinking the other day what if I saw a blatant UFO/Alien on the way to work what would I do ? Well I would watch for a bit try and get a picture then head off to work thinking wow that was cool ... So I guess a good portion of the public would do the same .

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I wonder how much attitudes have changed with the general public in the last sixty years about learning there is intelligent alien life out there. We've had a lot of "conditioning."

I still think it boils down to proximity. Most people would be cool with an alien civilization being found several thousand light years away. They'd hopefully understand that the chances of us interacting with them either positively or negatively would be pretty slim. Most people could go back to their ordinary lives after that.

On the other hand, if it became known that there are aliens living in underground bases on the lunar farside, or they're in orbit right now, or they're walking among us in secret... well, that would be horrifying, and reasonably so.

Another factor would be how closely they resemble humans. Even if they're kind of in the ballpark of looking like people, and if they had the same kinds of senses or emotional responses, we might think that's okay. But if they looked like something I saw once in a dream -- slimy 9-foot tall, blindingly intelligent cockroach / cicada creatures that communicated by bone-rattling, deafening shrieks -- then that would also be horrifying.

So if there's another study anytime soon, I assume they'll take that into account. But even with all the conditioning, there's a very good chance it won't be a positive experience.
edit on 8-10-2019 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

Uhhhhh...

Alls well that ends Well’s!

The whole notion of “aliens = fear” has been used and abused by “those with power” to retain said authority. That they don’t know and would pee their pants is really what the Brooking’s Report is about. An official, “Nothing to see here. Move along. We have it under control”.

Moo.

Some say aliens are responsible for cattle mutilations...

Happy cows make the best meat!

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I’ve thought about what I would do if we somehow became aware, conclusively and collectively about the existence of ET.

Beyond spiking the football and telling everyone I can find - “see! Told ya!” - I’d probably be a little freaked out. it’s all fun and games until it’s real, right? Once I have confirmation they’re here... then I need confirmation about what they’re up to.

I’d be pretty freaked out about how people react. Some would call in and not come to work, others would shat their pants, some would want to go say hi and be human brand ambassadors. Others would use it as an excuse to riot/loot/cause a scene.

But - most of that would pass relatively quickly I bet if they weren’t here to eat us.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 11:49 PM
link   
a reply to: EnigmaChaser

then I need confirmation about what they’re up to.

Why? If they're here they been here for a while, doing whatever it is they're doing and there's little need for subtlety on their part.

Read the book, ignore the TV show, it sucks.

edit on 10/8/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 03:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

How is this for the short version?

Pink Floyd- Childhoods End Lyrics

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 05:30 AM
link   
This was thought up in 1958. Before you were born. Probably after the retrieved crash, and before they were sending the astronaughts up in 1969. Society was fairly wholesome and stable. When you actually see a UFO move in the sky, your perspective on government, our society, and reality will change. I feel very few people are able to experience the reality of unknown persons and accept it. The old and young people need stability and structured society to live successfully daily. I raised children and know they don't want or need to feel scared. What a terrible way to grow up. Older people are struggling with aging, they don't want or need any extra problems to deal with. So, that leaves the educated and uneducated adults in the middle. I feel most humans need to think they are all there is. Their fear is more prevalent than curiosity when it comes to the unknown. We are talking about reality in person, not a tv viewing. Therefore, being mad because you think you are manipulated is misplaced. There are more people in society who need to be protected than disclosed to. It's time for everyone to grow up and think of others.
edit on 9-10-2019 by frugal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 9 2019 @ 06:16 AM
link   
a reply to: frugal

When I saw my first ufo my mind was blown; not because of the possibility of aliens but because I was abruptly forced to accept that the government was lying, the history of the United States was a lie and my life was a lie. Very little of the shock I felt had to do with aliens.
It took me a couple of years to fall back into my routine and become a functional member of society again
edit on 9-10-2019 by Guiltyguitarist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Guiltyguitarist
Once you realize the governments been lying and doing devious things, you stop ruling out "crazy conspiracy theories" because they don't sound so crazy anymore.

posted on Oct, 14 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: BelowBottomPublicity
a reply to: Guiltyguitarist
Once you realize the governments been lying and doing devious things, you stop ruling out "crazy conspiracy theories" because they don't sound so crazy anymore.

Not exactly related, but somewhat, is the cannabis prohibition. George Carlin said it "changes people's values," because the thought that occurs to many people is, "The government has been throwing people in prison for essentially life over this basically harmless plant? What else have I been mislead about?"

But again, after the last 70 years of history, how many people are there out there who think that they aren't being lied to or that things aren't being hidden from them? Pretty hard not to be paranoid or conspiratorially minded when time after time you find out you've been misled by one group or another.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join