It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government study on the publics reaction to extraterrestrials

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Anyone who has studied this topic is probably very familiar with this document. I just saw it referenced in some UFO show and I wanted to read it directly for myself.

Brookings_Report: Proposed Studies on the Implications of Peaceful Space Activities For Human Affairs

It has some really interest quotes.

"The Fundamentalist (and antiscience) sects are growing apace around the world...One of the important things is that, where they are active,
they appeal to the illiterate and semiliterate...and can pile up a very influential following in terms of numbers. For them the discovery
of other life--rather than any other space product--would be electrifying."

Anytime the word "electrifying" is used with how the masses are going to react to something there's a pretty good chance this information is going to be suppressed.

If you are part of the twitter generation and reading the original report is too difficult then consider the link below. Assuming you were able to make this far down the page then the link below has a very nice synopsis of this paper and how it's been used as evidence of a government cover up of extraterrestrials:

en.wikipedia.org...

It' generally scary to think the government does these types of studies of population at all! It kind of makes me mad. I'm sick and tired of being manipulated with emotions or because of emotions. I would prefer if people in the government would do the effing job of delivering quality public services without corruption at reasonable costs.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 11:50 PM
link   
The Brookings Report is old and stale. It came out before the Internet, MLK,JFK,RFK,9-11....
The world is a different place, and our ideals, concerns and attitudes are certainly different than 1960.

I used to think that disclosure would cause world havoc, but have changed that view. Most people probably can handle the basics of sharing the universe with E.T.

The people to be scared about today, are the ones who do not really care, but will be the first to pull a "running around with hair on fire" drill. There are too many of this new type of idiot in our midst today, and will remain a nebulous part of our society. For that reason alone, it may be wise to just keep status quo until they eventually succumb to attrition.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 12:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: charlyv

The world is a different place, and our ideals, concerns and attitudes are certainly different than 1960.

Isn't this part still relevant?

The Fundamentalist (and antiscience) sects are growing apace around the world...

Also thought it was interesting this Rand report came out in November 1968 (few months after the Condon whitewash)..

and whilst it's not official, Victor Marchetti (former executive assistant to the Deputy Director of the CIA) did once state this.

"The purpose of the international conspiracy is to maintain a workable stability among the nations of the world and for them, in turn, to retain institutional control over their respective populations. Thus, for these governments to admit there are beings from outer space attempting to contact us, beings with mentalities and technological capabilities obviously far superior to ours, could, once fully perceived by the average person, erode the foundations of the Earth's traditional power structure. Political and legal systems, religions, economic and social institutions could all soon become meaningless in the mind of the public. The national oligarchical establishments, even civilization as we know it, could collapse into anarchy. Such extreme conclusions are not necessarily valid, but they probably accurately reflect the fears of the "ruling class" of the major nations, whose leaders (particularly those in the intelligence business) have always advocated excessive governmental secrecy as being necessary to preserve "national security." The real reason for such secrecy is, of course, to keep the public uninformed, misinformed, and, therefore, malleable."

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Col. John Alexander and wife Victoria Lacas-Alexander did a more modern study that refutes the Brookings document/assertions. It's out there somewhere and you might find it interesting. If you can't find it holler and I'll dig around a bit.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015
The purpose of the report was to address Section 102(c) (4) of the National Aeronautics and Space Act of 1958.

“(4) establishment of long-range studies of the potential benefits to be gained from the opportunities for, and the problems involved in the utilization of aeronautical and space activities for peaceful and scientific purposes.”
Because the existence of extraterrestrial life and intelligence has been considered a possibility since long before the beginning of space exploration, it is not surprising that the topic would be included in the report. But it is a very small inclusion.

Even in 1961 it was thought very unlikely that intelligent life would be found within the Solar System but, being thorough, the the report does address the possibility. The report makes no statement about what effect such a discovery would have on Earth's societies, only that there is no way to predict those results.

4. Though intelligent or semi-intelligent life conceivably exists elsewhere in our solar system, if intelligent extraterrestrial life is discovered in the next twenty years, it will very probably be by radio telescope from other solar systems. Evidences of its existence might also be found in artifacts left on the moon or other planets. The consequences for attitudes and values are
unpredictable, but would vary profoundly in different cultures and between groups within complex societies; a crucial factor would be the nature of the communication between us and the other beings. Whether or not earth would be inspired to an all-out space effort by such a discovery is moot: societies sure of their own place in the universe have disintegrated when confronted by a superior society, and others have survived even though changed. Clearly, the better we can come to understand the factors involved in responding to such crises the better prepared we may be.

Here the report talks about the discovery of intelligent life elsewhere in the universe, saying it is unlikely to happen any time soon but it could happen. It suggests that a research program into the effects of such a discovery might be a good idea.

While the discovery of intelligent life in other parts of the universe is not likely in the immediate future, it could nevertheless happen at any time. Whenever it does occur its consequences for earth attitudes and values may be profound. Hence a long-term research effort, which would aid in preparing for this possibility, could usefully begin with:
A continuing determination of emotional and intellectual understanding and attitudes regarding the possibility and consequences of discovering intelligent extraterrestrial life.

The real "meat" of the report dealing with extraterrestrials begins on page 183 of the original report. It's brief, four paragraphs, but too long to quote here. It's shown on page 215 of the FOIA version of the document which has different pagination from the original. This section downplays the possibility of finding intelligent life in the Solar System but it does say that it is very likely that there is intelligent life in other solar systems. The report says that direct contact is unlikely but that radio contact is more likely. It goes on to talk about the possible impacts of such contact on society, ranging from "greater unity of men on Earth" to societal disintegration. The section closes with two recommendations for areas of research. One to study the possible effects on the discovery of extraterrestrial life. And another to study how people react to dramatic events in general. The section ends

Questions one might wish to answer by such studies would include: How might such information, under what circumstances, be presented to or withheld from the public for what ends? What might be the role of the discovering scientists and other decision makers regarding release of the fact of discovery?
There is no recommendation that information be withheld. There is a recommendation that a study be made to determine how the information would be released or if there would be any reason to withhold information.

(Yeah, I posted this before)
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Here's all 219 pages.
www.nicap.org...
edit on 10/8/2019 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 12:34 AM
link   
a reply to: The GUT

I think an even more current exercise gauging public responses to disclosure would be the Storm Area 51 Movement. Those who wanted to free aliens and clap their asscheeks outnumbered the amount that showed up to storm the base and risk sprained ankles and holes in their body.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 01:02 AM
link   
But what if the truth is to much to handle, as in its so dark so twisted and so hopeless that it shifts the entire paradigm into a hopeless spiral.
(Not saying I believe any of this or that it’s even my opinion just a interesting what if.)

Now what if the nature of our reality is that we are simply a food commodity for beings that exist outside our material realm. That these beings are our creators in the same way a person writes a program inside a computer. Our very natural is artificial our sentience simply a by-product of the the desired resource. That there is no escape from a soul consuming fate worse then death not even by dying. That upon death your simply consumed or recycled until you become the ideal product for consumption.

Wouldn’t taking the blue pill seem like a better option under these theoretical conditions?
a reply to: charlyv

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 01:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

Which one is the blue pill?

I always forget.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 01:07 AM
link   
It’s the suppository that lets you wake up in the matrix and go about your life.

a reply to: Phage

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 01:08 AM
link   

I try to keep it natural.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 01:10 AM
link   
It’s soy based.

Personally I subscribe to the smart monkeys on a rock orbiting a giant nuclear fire ball theory. Would be kinda lame if we were the only chimps on the block possible I guess but not very exciting.

edit on 8-10-2019 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 01:20 AM
link   

It's not a fire.

But there is no reason to think that only primates can be smart.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Just saying, since most abductees have claimed to have horrifying experiences, if the government came out and reported that the space alien phenomena is real then there will be mass hysteria. It would clarify that the abduction phenomena is a physical real experience as opposed to psychological disturbance.

I am not sure if the Orson Welles, "War of the Worlds". radio broadcast in 1938 was a government psyop to find out how the public would react or just a scifi show but it sure caused havoc around the US.
edit on 8-10-2019 by eManym because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: eManym

but it sure caused havoc around the US.

Not really. But it makes a cool story.

The true extent of the panic seems to have been that a small band of Grover's Mill locals, believing the town's water tower on Grover's Mill Road had been turned into a “giant Martian war machine”, fired guns filled with buckshot in an attack on the water tower.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

The night the program aired, the C.E. Hooper ratings service telephoned 5,000 households for its national ratings survey. “To what program are you listening?” the service asked respondents. Only 2 percent answered a radio “play” or “the Orson Welles program,” or something similar indicating CBS. None said a “news broadcast,” according to a summary published in Broadcasting. In other words, 98 percent of those surveyed were listening to something else, or nothing at all, on Oct. 30, 1938.

slate.com...

The panic was fake news. Possibly promulgated by newspapers who didn't think radio was a good idea.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 01:57 AM
link   

The real "meat" of the report dealing with extraterrestrials begins on page 183 of the original report. It's brief, four paragraphs, but too long to quote here. It's shown on page 215 of the FOIA version of the document which has different pagination from the original.

IMHO Combine all the facts and in someway or another and it becomes clear (most) ET folklore has it's roots in an everlasting disinformation campaign fed by the very same government. A way to control the Truth so to speak.

hmmm... I'm sure the public can handle ET when it's a hollywood-style alien. However I'm Not sure how The Billy Nye clones of Science will react if ET also implies if fundamentals of science are wrong.

However if ET is not Extra but inner or even Other. How will the public react then ? for instance hypothetical Tuatha Dé Danann and Fryslan + disclosure.... Well that would be interesting.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 03:34 AM
link   
The Brooking report was just a 'what if...' examination of why might happen under various scenarios. It was not a "this is what we are going to do" set of instuctions.

It also suggests that the discovery of alien life could be a unifying force for humanity, but that bit usually gets skimmed over by the UFO crowd.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 04:55 AM
link   
a reply to: eManym

I am not sure if the Orson Welles, "War of the Worlds". radio broadcast in 1938 was a government psyop to find out how the public would react or just a scifi show but it sure caused havoc around the US.

Only it was a book by his brother , H.G.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 07:38 AM
link   
The real elephant in the room here is...

Why do they do not want to share their advanced probing techniques? I mean, we taught gorillas and chimps how to use computers, now it is their time to reach out a ahem, helping hand.

Back to serious...
I think there will always be some reason that we are not ready yet. So better bring it on now. It could be though, that the extraterrestrials say, until you are not united as a species, no further contact or deals. Just probing the situation so to speak

edit on 8-10-2019 by Oleandra88 because: spelling

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

"The Fundamentalist (and antiscience) sects are growing apace around the world...One of the important things is that, where they are active, they appeal to the illiterate and semiliterate...and can pile up a very influential following in terms of numbers. For them the discovery of other life--rather than any other space product--would be electrifying."

Anytime the word "electrifying" is used with how the masses are going to react to something there's a pretty good chance this information is going to be suppressed.

It doesn't sound to me like that's their biggest concern...

It has been speculated that, of all groups, scientists and engineers might be the most devastated by the discovery of relatively superior creatures, since these professions are most clearly associated with the mastery of nature, rather than with the understanding and expression of man.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   
"alien life was foreseen as increasing the changes for East-West reconciliation"

After searching alien, that's all that came up. What else does this document have to do with ET's?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join