It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police chiefs ask US to waive immunity for envoy's wife in crash.

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi

originally posted by: micpsi
It is highly unlikely that this will happen

It's an extradition process, so legal. Doubtlessly questions of her diplomatic status will be explored and exposed.

Here's the Treaty

1. An offense shall be an extraditable offense if the conduct on which the offense is based is punishable under the laws in both States by deprivation of liberty for a period of one year or more or by a more severe penalty.

You don't understand. Diplomats and their wives/husbands are exempt from the extradition laws that cover non-diplomats because they are exempt from arrest or conviction by another country, whatever crimes they commit. They shouldn't be, in my opinion, but that is the current situation. The USA rarely extradites its citizens and they usually have to have been convicted of crimes by another country. That's why I said it is highly unlikely the woman will be extradited. Today, I have been proved right by the reported refusal of the US government to hand over the woman. As far as the USA is concerned, the Treaty does not apply to her because it thinks its diplomats cannot be arrested or charged for alleged crimes. The truth is, the situation surrounding diplomatic immunity is a legal mess and needs changing. But it is highly unlikely the governments of countries will agree to the much-needed revisions.

posted on Feb, 14 2020 @ 07:13 PM
link   
And another car is filmed being driven on the wrong side of the road from the military base. This is the third one reported since the fatal accident which killed Harry Dunn.

Harry Dunn: Car seen on wrong side of road near RAF base
edit on 14-2-2020 by EvilAxis because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Don't extradite Assange, says Harry Dunns family.

t's not fair to extradite Julian Assange to the US when the US refused our extradition request for Anne Sacoolas, the woman whose car fatally collided with Harry Dunn's motorbike, says the family of the teenager.

This from the Dunn family spokesperson.

"The US is not behaving like an ally and has effectively thumbed its nose up at the UK and ignored the clearly laid out provisions in the [extradition] treaty, effectively tearing it up."

In doing so, they are demonstrating an extraordinary amount of hypocrisy, and the double standards on display are unprecedented.

I think this is a fair point and any further requests to extradite anyone from Great Britain to America made by the US government should be refused until Mrs Sacoolas is returned to Great Britain to answer for her crime.

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 01:29 PM
link   
If she was an American spy as well, I am sure Americas Embassy erred on the side of caution. In case the spy talked. Doesn't make this right though.

posted on Feb, 24 2020 @ 01:55 PM
link   
a reply to: 2ndTenor

She isn't, she's a relatively low ranking diplomats wife as far as I can make out.

Imagine the outrage if it was a Brit who did this in the States?
Donald would be spitting feathers demanding justice.

This shows the USA in a very poor light.

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 05:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

I think each extradition hearing should be taken on its merits without political silliness. Harry Dunns family should not try expand their legitimate grievance by linking it with Assange.

Getting into a squabble over not extraditing Assange because the US are playing silly buggers is not the way to go.

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 05:46 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

while your argument - has some merits -

mutual extradition treaties - must be mutual

if one party will not comply with reasonable demands - then ............................

BUT linking this case - to assange - is a nightmare in itself

there is no coherent reason for this woman - bot to be extradited - and face UK justice in regard dunns death

the assange case - is a quagmire

my issue - is that her case - has been politicised - it has never been put to an actual sitting US federal judge

the diplomatic " imunity " argument - was a duplicitous farce

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 06:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
if one party will not comply with reasonable demands - then ............................

... the deal with it. Don't lose the moral high ground by politicising extradition at your end and getting into the tit for tat game, and certainly don’t pollute the UK legal process with political shenanigans. That's my point.

The possible extradition of Assange to the US is different to, and should not be conflated with, the extradition of Anne Sacoolas to the UK.

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 06:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: 2ndTenor

She isn't, she's a relatively low ranking diplomats wife as far as I can make out.

Imagine the outrage if it was a Brit who did this in the States?
Donald would be spitting feathers demanding justice.

This shows the USA in a very poor light.

Actually no they wouldnt happens all the time with diplomats in DC. They do something stupid that gets someone killed and they are sent home. Even worse there is situations were they are actually drunk at the time and still get released by police do to diplomatic immunity.

Anyone who has lived in DC for a while knows you avoid diplomatic plates like the plague. Its actually quite the opposite the government hides these from the public its actually difficult to get information on it.

www.nbcwashington.com...

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 06:57 AM
link   
a reply to: dragonridr

Hopefully we'll never find out how the US government would react to a similar situation involving a British national.

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 08:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

Hopefully we'll never find out how the US government would react to a similar situation involving a British national.

Im sure its happened as well i know canada diplomat assaulted someone and threatened threatened to kill them. He claimed diplomatic immunity and was sent home. Very rare anyone with diplomatic immunity stands trial. I remember reading about some diplomat from south america killing 3 people if i remember correctly they did agree to extradite him but only because he used a gun.

posted on Feb, 25 2020 @ 09:53 AM
link   

happens all the time with diplomats in DC. They do something stupid that gets someone killed and they are sent home.

i know canada diplomat assaulted someone and threatened threatened to kill them.

But both examples you use are diplomats and not their partners, this is what I think should be the "stand out" point here.
Mrs Sacoolas was not a diplomat, she was the partner of one.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join