It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China grows a cotton plant on the far side of the moon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Supposedly..
Title of the Article reads:

"China grows a cotton plant on the far side of the moon in a biological first"

China has broken new lunar ground, successfully growing cotton on the moon for the first time. The experiment was part of the Chang'e 4 Project, in which China is exploring the far side of the moon with a lander.

The cotton plant was one of several organisms encased in a mini biosphere weighing just 2.6 kilograms (5.7 lbs) with a pressure of 1 atmosphere which was aboard the lander. The organisms experienced an environment largely similar to that on Earth, however, they did have to contend with both space radiation and microgravity.

In the end, the team selected five species of biological organisms to send to the moon: Cotton seeds, potato seeds, arabidopsis seeds, yeast, and fruit-fly eggs. Most of these died quickly, but the cotton seeds sprouted and grew not one but two leaves. Although plants have been grown on the International Space Station before, this experiment marks the first time a plant has been grown on the moon.

You can also find out a little more about China's potato growing on a previous ATS thread from this year - here.

However, despite the hardy cotton’s best efforts, the leaves died within one lunar day, which is equivalent to two weeks here on Earth. During the lunar night, the temperatures on the moon drop dramatically, and without external heating, the organisms were doomed by the cold. But in order to test whether the equipment could survive, the Chinese scientists continued the experiment for several months.

Ah, there it is, I was waiting to hear that. Although I wasn't expecting to read this...

Originally, the team had wanted to send animals as part of the experiment including a small tortoise. However, this idea had to be scrapped due to the limited availability of oxygen.

edit on 10/7/2019 by LtFluffyCakes96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Good on China👍👍

Some members here will come along and slag our Asian cousins off big time as usual « sighs » but at least they are trying and not bragging big time that there is an eventuality of doing so in a not too distant future... bla bla bla...

However... I disagree with the thought of placing a crawling/walking animal up there until they have created a correct environment for which will support said plant life on a long time basis.

Slowly but surely, starting with simple plants until they get it right.

Go for it China and other countries too...👍👍

Kindest respects

Lags
edit on 7-10-2019 by Lagomorphe because: This is going to piss soooo many people off!... I don’t care... We don’t know each other... deal with it.

edit on 7-10-2019 by Lagomorphe because: Because I am crap

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: LtFluffyCakes96

Like Gold, Silver, Palladium & Platinum, so too will Cosmic marijuana be a guaranteed blue-chip investment.

God bless the Chinese botanical scientists.

Invest wisely.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 03:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lagomorphe
Good on China👍👍

Some members here will come along and slag our Asian cousins off big time as usual « sighs » but at least they are trying and not bragging big time that there is an eventuality of doing so in a not too distant future... bla bla bla...

However... I disagree with the thought of putting an crawling/walking animal up there until they have created a correct environment which will support said plant life on a long time basis.

Kindest respects

Lags

I have literally never read anyone slagging off Asians on ATS, or the Chinese people. Their governments PHILOSOPHY of total population control, with the help of google, is open slather though, and rightly so - they deserve the planets relentless condemnation.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 03:05 AM
link   
I predict in 500 years we will have bio domes on moon and Mars.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 03:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

originally posted by: Lagomorphe
Good on China👍👍

However... I disagree with the thought of putting an crawling/walking animal up there until they have created a correct environment which will support said plant life on a long time basis.

Kindest respects

Lags

I have literally never read anyone slagging off Asians on ATS, or the Chinese people. Their governments PHILOSOPHY of total population control, with the help of google, is open slather though, and rightly so - they deserve the planets relentless condemnation.

Really???😉

Here is my shocked face 😱 « coughs » Darned throat...

Anyways... back on topic...

Lags

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 04:45 AM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

Not slagging anybody, I was just skeptical at first. Especially on how and if they kept the sprout alive. All in all, I'm actually excited for China for doing these experiments. At least their doing what - as far as I know, no other space agency - private or governed - is doing. Good for them.

edit on 10/7/2019 by LtFluffyCakes96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 07:26 AM
link   

The Chinese are among the smartest and most creative scientists and engineers on the planet!

You are foolish not to accept the Chinese are now the leaders in every form of manufacturing.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 07:54 AM
link   

That is a very exciting achievement for China.
Not an earth shattering breakthrough but still something to be proud of.

I say not earth shattering for one reason.
They took soil from earth and put it in a contained earth atmosphere and grew a plant.
The real breakthrough will be to use lunar soil to grow the plant.

The major reason for leaving earth is because of earths limited resources and taking those resources off the planet is counterproductive.
Again, this is a great achievement and they should be proud of the accomplishments but let's not thank them for saving mankind just yet.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Maybe the Chinese will be the next to lay claim they grew life on Mars with a similar experiment.

But in saying that, it's all good to sow the seeds and transport them to the moon. The real plant will come when it's actually seeded on a moon/planet and grown from the basics.

Good for China laying this latest claim though.

Kind regards,

bally

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Lone nvm my link wont work
edit on 7-10-2019 by ADAMandEVIL because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 06:18 PM
link   

I feel like the Chinese communist party botanical teams on the moon need sum Tegrity. ...as it happens to be, I...

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 06:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Spacespider
I predict in 500 years we will have bio domes on moon and Mars.

Haven't you heard? We only have 12 years. They better get moving!

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Very cool. I wonder why they chose cotton for the experiment.

top topics

join