It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Milwaukee gives homeless tent people letter to evacuate

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
a reply to: MisterSpock
Maybe a death penalty for pushing meth would help.

nope it wouldn't. we even have a real life case study that proves it doesn't work.

there are only two ways to actually end the problem of illegal drugs. first is to make them legal. the second is to somehow remove the wanting to use drugs, as well as to cure those addicted to them.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

They're falling apart in Austin. TX, too. This is priceless - the mayor and city council passed an ordinance making urban camping legal anywhere in the city, except in the area right around city hall (they don't want to look at it, of course).

Gov. Abbot has sent a letter to the city since explaining that they will clean it up or the state will.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 03:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

They're falling apart in Austin. TX, too. This is priceless - the mayor and city council passed an ordinance making urban camping legal anywhere in the city, except in the area right around city hall (they don't want to look at it, of course).

Gov. Abbot has sent a letter to the city since explaining that they will clean it up or the state will.

I read about that this morning. What a joke. Just like Florida.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   
the only way to deal with the homeless problem, is to deal with the reasons they are homeless in the first place. there seem to be four main reasons people are hopmeless. those who are down on their luck, mostly through no real fault of their own. and these are the easiest to help. but the thing is that they tend from what i have seen, to make up only a small portion of the problem.

the other three issues are drug abuse. mental illness, and those who just don't care, and actually prefer the lifestyle. and of course one problem within those problems is that even those from the first group, and the last group i mentioned tend to end up becoming drug abusers if out too long. and they in turn become people with mental issues from the drug (or alcohol) abuse.

so the first thing that would need to be done is to start building mental institutions that can care for those that need it (which is most of them). in fact homelessness actually really became a problem when it was decided that mental institutions were cruel and inhumane. in the city i grew up in, they kicked them all out of the mental institution when it closed down. and most of the patients never left the area. just becoming homeless, even sleeping on the grounds that once housed them. the only difference being they sleep outside instead of inside receiving the care they need. some don 't even need to be institutionalized. just given the help and support they need. unfortunately thanks to the crappy Canadian socialized healthcare system, i have an old friend who has just recently become one of the homeless because of the lack of the proper mental help they need, as well as the support they need.

of course most of the drug addicts would also benefit from being put in a mental institution to deal with their drug issues. and of course thanks to their drug abuse, many would likely need to stay.

those down on their luck, just need to be helped. but weirdly enough they can't actually get that help. because that help system is overloaded. and is the actual reason they are out on the street in the first place. of course that could be alleviated by dealing with the issue of things like generational welfare, baby factories, and illegal immigrants who take up a lot of that help.

the last group is likely the hardest to deal with. just how do you stop someone from being homeless, when that is what they want to be? of course some of that is actually more mental issues, and thus the mental institutions would be helpful. for them. but what about the ones who just simply don't care, and actually enjoy the lifestyle?

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: ketsuko

I read about that this morning. What a joke. Just like Florida.

I think much of this is fallout from the opioid crisis. A lot of these people are addicts who aren't being maintained by their easy pill dispenser docs anymore, so they end up on the streets shooting up on something a lot less legal.

Everyone thinks they're immune to addiction until they turn around hooked.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

A lot of these people are addicts who aren't being maintained by their easy pill dispenser docs anymore, so they end up on the streets shooting up on something a lot less legal.

That is totally the case in Florida!

Years ago I was having debilitating headaches, one point I thought I had a seizure. My doctor told me I had sinus stuff going on (literally how he described it) and just wanted to give me pain pills. I said NO. I never paid for that appointment.
I can't imagine how many people just believe what the Dr's say and never get a second opinion.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 04:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

If I chose to be homeless, Hawaii would be pretty much at the top of my list for places where it's a viable alternative to living inside a building. My God, the lowest winter temps in Honolulu are above the average high summer temps for Anchorage.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 04:10 PM
link   

A person is immune to addiction so long as they don't ever start using the drugs. That's just a basic fact, don't start none, won't be none.

I think if anything has really changed, it's that we've bent over backwards as a society to remove the natural consequences to these addictions. I don't ever recall as many repeated overdose resuscitations and the quick fix injections they've got now. In days gone by, opiate addiction at this severity was a self correcting problem, but now we have removed that correction and the problem has grown dramatically.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

In days gone by, opiate addiction at this severity was a self correcting problem, but now we have removed that correction and the problem has grown dramatically.

Although I agree with your sentiment. We have to admit that doctors have a part to play in this.
I'm not saying all addicts started on pain meds, but a lot have. I think everyone deserves a second chance. The question is how many second chances do people deserve. I read that some addicts overdose on purpose because they know they will be narcan'd

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 07:13 PM
link   

I was homeless on Maui as a kid for several months. I had 3 jobs. I came home to California wit more money then I left with. The humidity made it uncomfortable to sleep at night, and the mosquitos were pretty bad too. Plus there were large flying cockroaches too.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 07:24 PM
link   

What I meant is that most who end up addicted get started thinking they can't get addicted or that if they do, they can handle it.

No one thinks they'll be hooked off just one hit.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Hey, choices have consequences. Cold, but true.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 07:38 PM
link   

I read that some addicts overdose on purpose because they know they will be narcan'd

That makes no sense, narcan does not get them high..it completely negates the high. Addicts are sometimes pissed, their high was ruined via narcan. Sometimes the same addict will be revived a number of times in a night, because their 1st high was ruined, they do another hit.

I think after a person has been revived 3 times, tying up ambulance resources, they should just let them sleep.

Former addict here.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 07:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Hey, choices have consequences. Cold, but true.

It does, and I'm not excusing it. But how else do you explain the extraordinary number of people who end up addicted claiming they never thought it would happen to them?

We all get told that some drugs are addictive enough to hook you on one try, but people still do it. The only reasonable explanation is that they seriously don't think it will happen to them.

I know there were a lot of those sorts of things I never did because in the back of my mind was always the niggling little thought "But what if? ..."

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I think it's mostly true..people think they can dabble, and not let it take over..good luck with that, as our brains have receptors specifically geared towards those drugs.

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I hate homeless people

should put them on an island, one near Antarctica where it's freezing, free tickets; leave an apple in case one of them gets hungry, maybe a roll of toilet paper

also make them work in slave, oops I mean work camps making stuff for rich people in order to pay for the boat ride

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults
I know you're being facetious, but whats the solution?

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 08:49 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

I mean if Antarctica isn't going to work we could try the North Pole; what really matters here is what can we do that's cheap and doesn't cost me money

edit on 8-10-2019 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: toysforadults
Lol,
They are building modular homes/appt's here, some just don't want to get off the street, they do not want to conform to any kind of rule. Many are quite thankful for the help though,they have been priced out of rental housing..gotten insane in the last 4-5 years

I have no problem with some tax money to go for that.

edit on 8-10-2019 by vonclod because: missed a word, context not changed

posted on Oct, 8 2019 @ 09:28 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

if it doesn't help me I don't care; shoulda made better choices, I did

#MAGA

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join