It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Fall of American Culture and the Joker Movie

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Oh, come to think of it, I kinda liked Thor: Ragnarok as well, cause it had the Hulk and Jeff Goldblum (with a fun character to play) in it. And the Hulk as a character is always entertaining (the Hulk movie from Marvel Studios wasn't that great). That is, regarding what I said about superhero/supervillain movies.

No excessive levels of sickness for cheap thrills and pushing of buttons in the audience* either as far as I can remember in that movie. *: 'tickling ears'

A bit more on-topic...

What Is Provoking the Age of Rage? Awake!—2002

Are reports of rage—road rage, domestic rage, air rage—being blown out of proportion? Or like cracks in the walls of a building, are they just the visible warnings of a serious underlying problem? The facts indicate that the latter is true.
Why do growing numbers of people seem incapable of restraining their emotions? What prompts these acts of rage? Is it actually possible to control these feelings?

Why the Rise in Rage?

To have rage is to feel or exhibit intense anger. Acts of rage result when anger is allowed to build until it erupts in a violent outburst of emotion.
Bad Manners and Movies

Commenting on the relationship between incivility and crime, Dr. Adam Graycar, director of the Australian Institute of Criminology (AIC), observes: “A renewed focus on respect and civility may be one of the most significant steps towards reducing petty crime.” The institute advocates exercising patience, showing tolerance, and refraining from swearing. Failure to do so, it claims, can turn disorderly behavior into criminal behavior. Ironically, a form of relaxation chosen by many to relieve frustration and stress actually encourages intolerance and rage. How?

“Children and adults flock to cinemas to watch depictions of death and destruction. The market for violent videos is vast and lucrative. ‘War toys’ remain popular with many children, if not always with their parents. Televised violence is greatly enjoyed by many, both adults and children, and television has an important role in the transmission of cultural values,” states an AIC report. How does this relate to outbursts of rage on the street and in the home? The report concludes: “To the extent that a society condones violence, the values of individuals within that society will develop accordingly.”

Many individuals today would argue that venting anger is just a natural response to stress, an unavoidable reaction to our high-pressure, aggressive society. Is it true, then, that the popular notion, “When angry, let it out,” is actually good advice?

Short answer is "no" to that last question. But I don't want to overstep the bounds of what one is allowed to post from an article on another website. I do not want to deprive you of some beneficial/healthful teachings from the Bible concerning that subject though. The same ones used in that article under "Manage Anger—Avoid Rage", which says:

What advice really works? Notice the similarities between the advice of secular authorities and that of the most widely distributed authority on human relations, the Bible.

Dr. Redford B. Williams states in JAMA (The Journal of the American Medical Association): “The simplistic advice, ‘when angry, let it out,’ is unlikely . . . to be of much help. Far more important is to learn how to evaluate your anger and then to manage it.” He suggests asking yourself: “(1) Is this situation important to me? (2) Are my thoughts and feelings appropriate to the objective facts? (3) Is this situation modifiable, so that I don’t have to have this anger?”

Proverbs 14:29; 29:11 “He that is slow to anger is abundant in discernment, but one that is impatient is exalting foolishness. All his spirit is what a stupid one lets out, but he that is wise keeps it calm to the last.”

Ephesians 4:26 “Be wrathful, and yet do not sin; let the sun not set with you in a provoked state.”

Frank Donovan, in his book Dealing With Anger—Self-Help Solutions for Men, recommends: “Escaping anger—or, more specifically, escaping the scene and other people in your angry episode—is a strategy which has special importance and value at the higher levels of anger.”

Proverbs 17:14 “The beginning of contention is as one letting out waters; so before the quarrel has burst forth, take your leave.”

Bertram Rothschild, writing in the journal The Humanist, states: “Anger . . . is primarily one’s personal responsibility. The reasons to become angry exist in our heads. . . . The few times anger worked for you pale in comparison to the multitude of times it made things worse. It is far better not to produce the anger than to experience it.”

Psalm 37:8 “Let anger alone and leave rage; do not show yourself heated up only to do evil.”

Proverbs 15:1 “An answer, when mild, turns away rage, but a word causing pain makes anger to come up.”

Proverbs 29:22 “A man given to anger stirs up contention, and anyone disposed to rage has many a transgression.”

During April 1999, in an assault that shocked the entire world, two adolescents violently took over Columbine High School, in Littleton, Colorado, U.S.A., leaving 15 dead. Investigation showed that one of the attackers had a Web page on which he had written: “DEAD PEOPLE DON’T ARGUE!” Both attackers died in the tragedy.

What do the facts and figures show regarding violence and murder? An increasing lack of respect for life. Add to this the violence and mayhem glorified on television and movie screens, and our society appears to be wrapped up in a morbid culture centering on death. In this regard the Encyclopædia Britannica says: “During the latter half of the 20th century, death has become a strangely popular subject. Before that time, perhaps rather surprisingly, it was a theme largely eschewed in serious scientific, and to a lesser extent, philosophical speculations.” According to Josep Fericgla, a Catalonian professor of cultural anthropology, “death has become the last effective taboo in our societies, and therefore, it is one of the most important sources today of ideological manipulation.”

Perhaps the most outstanding characteristic of this “death culture” is the popular belief that power, supremacy, money, and pleasure are of much more importance than human life and moral values.

How is this “death culture” spread? What can people do to counteract this negative influence that surrounds them? These are some of the questions that are answered in the following articles:

How Is the “Death Culture” Promoted? Awake!—2000
Helping Youths Escape the “Death Culture”

And not sure if this one follows up on the last one above, but it's appropiate nevertheless (in 2 different ways considering this is a thread about the Joker):

Smile—It’s Good for You!
edit on 6-10-2019 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 03:57 PM
link   
WTH is INCEL? Domestic ISIS?

They keep creating new boogieman names to keep the public freshly terrified.

Deep State being the Joker.. who would have figured!?

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 04:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

Eh. I can't stand the superhero movies either. But, I don't think this new Joker will cause incel violence or whatever.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: LSU2018

Report: FBI issues warning about potential threat at ‘Joker’ movie

newjersey.news12.com...

The FBI has issued a warning about potential threats for a mass shooting linked to the release of the new “Joker” movie, according to a report by ABC News. ABC News reports that threats have been cycling online since May, but that no specific information has been posted. ABC reports that the threats contained references to “Incels,” an online subculture of people, mostly males, who are “involuntarily celibate.” Several recent perpetrators of mass shooting violence have self-identified as “Incels,” but ABC reports that the FBI does not necessarily regard the group as a whole as one prone to violence.

The FBI thinks the movie is potentially dangerous.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Looks like Feds & Hollywood are making INCELs out to be the next Jihadis!

expect more movies about Involuntary Celibate serial terrorists?

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 04:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

they also think some mentally deficient people are terrorists too

so there is that.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Seems alot like dividing and conquering American culture in sections.

Ie, yesterday color, today religion, tomorrow... sexuality? No wonder all the articles about even kids obsessed with whether they have an inny or outy.

^Predictive Program.

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
a reply to: LSU2018

Report: FBI issues warning about potential threat at ‘Joker’ movie

newjersey.news12.com...

The FBI has issued a warning about potential threats for a mass shooting linked to the release of the new “Joker” movie, according to a report by ABC News. ABC News reports that threats have been cycling online since May, but that no specific information has been posted. ABC reports that the threats contained references to “Incels,” an online subculture of people, mostly males, who are “involuntarily celibate.” Several recent perpetrators of mass shooting violence have self-identified as “Incels,” but ABC reports that the FBI does not necessarily regard the group as a whole as one prone to violence.

The FBI thinks the movie is potentially dangerous.

No, the FBI saying this may have made it a dangerous thing becsuse they have put it out there!

Do what are you saying, that normal everyday people are going to watch this movie, then become sociopathic killers?

Or is it more likely that people who may react to this movie violently are people with mental health issues who just need a trigger?

posted on Oct, 7 2019 @ 05:07 PM
link   
INCELS

OMG

what about Japan....

Holy moly

keep your swords sharp..

wait they aren't doing that?????????

Japan is a culture of INCELS.

(maybe it something else that causes American INCELS, like Hygiene, or personality?)

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Neverending FF's??

even after martial law???

posted on Oct, 24 2019 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Where all the rioting at?

posted on Oct, 28 2019 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: RoScoLaz5
it's just a movie. why so serious?

"What do you get when you mix a mentally ill longer with a society who abandons him and treats him like garbage?"

They used mental illness as a platform to promote a movie about a killer clown. Joker is insane and violent, not because of mental illness but because he is embracing that attitude. Even the killing joke makes a point of illustrating how the joker is defined by his choices and not his traumatic backstory. At least include some form of disclaimer that the character is fictional and not a commentary on real people trying to get actual help for their issues.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Willtell
link

So now, a violent, socially meaningless, dangerous movie about the creation of the comic book villain, the anti-batman, Joker has darkened the American movie screens.

This has raised all kinds of fears in such places as the US Army and FBI.

U.S. Military Issues Warning to Troops About Incel Violence at Joker Screenings [Updated]

Here we have a pitiful story that degrades and humiliates a disabled down and out mental case that turns the guy into a monster killer, befitting, of course, the storyline of the villain in the Batman saga. So, we have another grimy, gritty, violent origin myth. As if we need to have another maniac, mass murderer Joker character in our socially diseased society of mass murderers on the lurch all over the country's landscape. How many Jokers do we have now…maybe 10?

I think this is at least the six or 7th Joker’s let loose on our society's memic violent cultural heroes or antiheroes. Starting with the actually wonderful and comical depiction of the Joker, by the great Jack Nicholson, in the Batman movie of 1989. Then there were, I believe, a few more, much more menacing and less comical, yet as murderous as ever, in later depictions in other versions, among (too many for my taste) of Batman.

Well, here we go again. But this time they're going to really create a social monster ready to kill everybody.

And then show us the etiology of how the poor guy was made so Godam crazy.

And lo and behold they even put our hero, Bruce Wayne, AKA Batman, as a youngster, in the saga who, of course, Wayns parents get murdered in a riot started by the Joker. Let's GET REVENGE IN THE SEQUAL…. Wonderful storyline for the next sequel. I mean, pretty soon they’ll have more Batman movies that Rocky movies!

So here we go again folks, another movie from Hollywood that feeds the beast.
www.imdb.com...

Oh well thanks very much butswipe for the spoiler alert.......NOT !!! Just had to show all how you're so clever coz you know who Batman really is in civiy life. Kindly refrain from any need to broadcast to the world b4 everyone else info regarding his sub/sidekick Robin.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 08:50 AM
link   
People freaked in the early 90's over the movie Natural Born Killers. I like violent movies based on antihero's. I like rooting for the bad guy in movies. I usually can't stand anything to do with super hero's. I especially can't stand Marvel movies.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: wantsome
People freaked in the early 90's over the movie Natural Born Killers. I like violent movies based on antihero's. I like rooting for the bad guy in movies. I usually can't stand anything to do with super hero's. I especially can't stand Marvel movies.

Bad guys are usually portrayed as being psycho vigilantes who will hurt any number of innocent people to get revenge on even one enemy, or greedy con artists who will hurt any number of innocent people to get rich fast. Joker wasnt a con artist or a vigilante, just a guy who took an opportunity to work out his frustration and then rationalized it as "mental illness" and blamed it on society being uncivilized. Basically he's infected by psychotic ideas that were taught to him by the community at large. Like Joker is just a natural product of who we are as a culture. And apparently that's a real philosophy that we can expect from the mental health patients that we meet on the street every day.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 12:36 PM
link   
This is retarded. There are many films vastly more violent. This sounds like the crap religious people like to spew. My thoughts are that it is perfectly fine. I see no problem. It was a good film. I'd watch it again.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 06:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

originally posted by: wantsome

Bad guys are usually portrayed as being psycho vigilantes who will hurt any number of innocent people to get revenge on even one enemy, or greedy con artists who will hurt any number of innocent people to get rich fast. Joker wasnt a con artist or a vigilante, just a guy who took an opportunity to work out his frustration and then rationalized it as "mental illness" and blamed it on society being uncivilized. Basically he's infected by psychotic ideas that were taught to him by the community at large. Like Joker is just a natural product of who we are as a culture. And apparently that's a real philosophy that we can expect from the mental health patients that we meet on the street every day.
You can see my thread on mental health here. I'm no stranger to mental health issues.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

No 99% of people with mental health issues are not dangerous. You'd be safer spending a month with 1000 schizophrenics in a locked room then surviving a 1 hour walk through Detroit.

Natural Born Killers came out in the 90's and it about a couple going on a murderous rampage just for fun. Before that there was Clockwork Orange.

Some people way way over sensitive about stuff today. Don't get your panties in a wad it's just a movie.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 06:30 PM
link   
No piece of media has ever caused any violence.

Ever.

Not once.

Not a single book, magazine, newspaper, tv series, film, painting, video game etc. etc.

Deranged people will use it as an excuse in court or in their paranoid suicide ramblings to rile up exceptionally stupid politicians and pundits.

posted on Oct, 29 2019 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I've seen it and once again Joaquin Phoenix is phenomenal. It's not
even that violent!

Eh, okay that last part may not be entirely accurate.

edit on 29-10-2019 by carsforkids because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2019 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Was an awesome movie if you are a sane person and watched it because you are a batman fan and understand its all from comic books.

I'm more concerned about the violence displayed against a certain real life person that a certain group really don't care about.

That's how upside down and twisted they are.

Movie based on comics and fantasy = danger

Show pictures and talk about beheading or hanging a real person = normal and encouraged

You people are crazy.
edit on 30 10 19 by Analbumcover because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join