It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

15 Paradoxes to play with your mind

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Afternoon ATS Colleagues.

While chilling today I randomly came across the article below.

These 15 paradoxes do make you stop and think, especially the Alien Life entry.

Enjoy.

uk.businessinsider.com... &r=US&IR=T/

The physicist Enrico Fermi, for whom this paradox was named, simply asked, "Where are they?" in the middle of a lunchtime discussion with his colleagues. One resolution of the paradox challenges the above idea that Earth is common and posits instead that complex life is extremely rare in the universe. Another posits that technological civilizations inevitably wipe themselves out through nuclear war or ecological devastation.

A more optimistic solution is the idea that the aliens are intentionally hiding themselves from us until we become more socially and technologically mature. Yet another idea is that alien technology is so advanced that we wouldn't even be able to recognize it.

edit on 5-10-2019 by Cymru because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: Cymru

There is a theory that as our Galaxy is relatively young we are among the first intelligent life forms to evolve in it , our Galaxy and Universe could be teeming with life but if it doesn't have the ability to create technology to broadcast its existence then we'll never find it by listening , we have had a relatively short period of broadcasting radio and as technology improves we too will go dark to any ET looking for others.

The odds are stacked against finding a signal at random but new space telescopes will tell us where to look if we want to find one because we will know life is there due to spectrographic analysis of their atmosphere.

We will find life in our lifetime , sadly we won't be able to communicate with it due to the distances involved but knowing it's there is good enough for me.

edit on 5-10-2019 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cymru

"Where are they?"
A more optimistic solution is the idea that the aliens are intentionally hiding themselves from us until we become more socially and technologically mature.

This is my take on it, i think they visit occasionally like on a school trip to show their young just how stupid and irresponsible life can be.

edit on 5-10-2019 by CthruU because: 1

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: CthruU
And what about the other 14 paradoxes?

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Only reinforces my belief Business Insider should stay away from the science and philosophical and stick with the business side.

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Here's another theory. We have been a technological society for so short a period of time that the idea that other societies would be at the same stage is ridiculous. Therefore expecting an advanced society to use similar forms of communication or even be monitoring for our methods of communication is ludicrous.

They would be much more likely to use much more advanced communication that we don't even know exists.

Jaden

posted on Oct, 5 2019 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Sorry I didn't read the paradoxes thing, I got into the life in space imaginations 😁
Billions of stars, I look at the night sky imagining a sentient life form looking at our star. Maybe not now, but 100,000 years ago or more.
I totally believe there is sentient life out there, or has been, or will, we'll just never be able to communicate with current tech, what with things being X million light years away, just listen or watch history...the ultimate history channel 😍
edit on 5-10-2019 by DaisyRainbow because: Typo

edit on 5-10-2019 by DaisyRainbow because: Being crap today, distracted mind typo

posted on Oct, 6 2019 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Thanks bro, what a collection of trippy mind-melting goodness!!!

I've always been a fan of Parmenides and Zeno of Elea and his paradoxes. What an amazing use of logic that arguably proved that The universe did not (and arguably, could not) work the way the most brilliant people of the time thought it did. And, IMHO we will be vindicated further as our ultimate understanding of reality advances.

It truly is a shame that Zeno's famous book containing 40 ‘paradoxes of plurality’ has been lost to time. Sadly, this book has not survived. I for one would love to have read such brilliant insanity!

top topics

join