It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

British Government publishes Brexit Backstop proposals it has sent to the EU and accompanying letter

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Here's the first page of the letter sent to Jean-Claude Juncker today setting out our proposals for removing the main sticking point in the Brexit negotiations

The rest of the letter which runs to 4 pages a the explanatory note which is 7 pages are linked below.

www.gov.uk... 9e84&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=govuk-notifications&utm_content=immediate

edit on 2-10-2019 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 10:02 AM
link   
Calling it himself "a fair and reasonable compromise" makes me cringe..

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 10:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
Calling it himself "a fair and reasonable compromise" makes me cringe..

Is that because of the content or because it's an attempt by the British government to find a solution to the major stumbling block to sorting out a deal ?

I would prefer we leave the EU amicably.

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Interesting listening to the EU Stooge and Republic of Ireland's Prime Minister Leo Varadkar saying earlier - even before this was published - that the Backstop is the only game in town and anything the UK does will be resisted. Will the EU put him in his place? After all the Republic will be really badly impacted by a hard Brexit, and that's where we are heading if Varadkar remains intransigent. With friends like that, eh?

Let's just suppose the EU bite the bullet, put on their Man Pants and compromise with the UK. Is there any guarantee Parliament would vote for this deal which removes the area of greatest sensitivity - the Backstop? That will be an interesting dynamic with all these useless MPs running out of reasons not to agree!

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi
It ought to bring in all those who have been objecting specifically to a no-deal Brexit. By the time it came to a vote, Boris would be able to point out that this and no-deal were the only available options in the time remaining.

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

"This is an honest and humble answer. You have to trust me on this one."

It just sounds... insincere.
I doubt that Bojo will have much success in convincing the EU to drop the Backdrop, as this is seen as a last-chance-parachute to exclude a no-deal-brexit, as the EU has doubts Bojo will be stopped by a law.

In my own opinion, there are very very rich people behind Bojo who want the No-Deal-Brexit and have ultra-high-yielding bets running on this, because being a rational person with understanding of the huge impact a no-deal-brexit will have on everyone would CAUSE immediate realization that you do not want that to happen, under no circumstances.

There must be a lot of pressure on Bojo to keep trying to reach the no-deal-brexit while keeping face by saying "the EU forced me to do so". A lot of pressure!

And I can only assume that this is caused by very very wealthy people who have made enormous bets on a no-deal-brexit.

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: ManFromEurope

As with most people I would like to leave with an amicable deal , one that benefits both sides with us free to negotiate our own trade deals outside of the EU , I really hope that happens but feel the only way that will happen is if the leadership of the EU truly believe we are leaving without a deal.

If we are to leave without a deal because the EU leadership want to make an example of us for daring to leave then so be it.

Who Dares Wins.

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 10:37 AM
link   
A rumour has just hit Twitter that Parliament is going to be prorogued again, with a Queen's Speech on the 14th, as originally planned.

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
A rumour has just hit Twitter

Twitter, eh? I this a case of "it must be true cos I saw it on Twitter"?

What benefit would more spitting and over-acting MPs bring to the Brexit discourse should Parliament be suspended for a second time? MPs are now beginning to think of the future and their personal electability in a General Election.

An awful lot of MPs have shown themselves to be wanting when it comes to representing the views of their constituencies, so may pay the price for such foolhardiness. Perhaps time to redeem themselves?

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 11:28 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi
Actually it is now being reported on Sky News, which was apparently the original source.
I've been monitoring Twitter because I love reading the over-reactions.

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 11:30 AM
link   
It's just been confirmed that Parliament will be prorogued on the 8th October ahead of the Queens Speech.

Dennis Skinner's traditional quip should be good this year.

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Don't pommel the yank please, but is the crux of the problem involved with N.Ireland in the UK & Ireland in the EU?
(and all of the attendant immigration/customs/transit/commerce problems that result for the island)

I know it's none o' my bizness, just trying to understand the scope of Backstop.

ganjoa

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 12:31 PM
link   
a reply to: ganjoa
That's how I understand it. The border was created in 1922 for religious reasons, but the agreements which ended the war with the I.R.A. mean that a lot of local cross-border trade has developed.

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
a reply to: ManFromEurope

As with most people I would like to leave with an amicable deal , one that benefits both sides with us free to negotiate our own trade deals outside of the EU , I really hope that happens but feel the only way that will happen is if the leadership of the EU truly believe we are leaving without a deal.

If we are to leave without a deal because the EU leadership want to make an example of us for daring to leave then so be it.

Who Dares Wins.

I agree with you.
Making an amicable deal that benefits both sides would be the best opinion for the stock markets and trade, but If the EU bureaucrats decide not to take it or negotiate, then we should leave and be done with it.

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Don't pommel the yank please, but is the crux of the problem involved with N.Ireland in the UK & Ireland in the EU?

Pretty much , the backstop keeps Northern Ireland within the EU single market so still a part of Europe while the rest of Britain leaves the EU.

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 12:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: DISRAELI
Actually it is now being reported on Sky News, which was apparently the original source.
I've been monitoring Twitter because I love reading the over-reactions.

Stand corrected. We need to restart a Parliamentary session, but MPs will still paint a false picture of intent.

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I don't think he expects this to get approved by the EU or by parliament its just a means for him to say he tried to get a new deal. This is just Boris going through the motions, am not expecting it to get agreement before the deadline.

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 05:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Pretty much , the backstop keeps Northern Ireland within the EU single market so still a part of Europe while the rest of Britain leaves the EU.

SOOO - It's really about separating Northern Ireland from the UK?
Does that somehow "repatriate" the entire island, at least far as the EU sees it?
Sorry to be so dense, but I'm still stuck back at "ok, England became the UK, uh commonwealth", it's confusing for yanks.
But I had no idea seperation of N.Ireland was on the table. Bollocks!

ganjoa

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
I don't think he expects this to get approved by the EU or by parliament its just a means for him to say he tried to get a new deal. This is just Boris going through the motions, am not expecting it to get agreement before the deadline.

I agree. It's just going through the motions.

There's no way this will pass muster, especially with the short time available.

Clearly BoJo has set his stall out, to leave without a deal.

Understandable, we were never going to get one.

posted on Oct, 2 2019 @ 08:02 PM
link   
leaked tory memo shows the idea was to blame the eu all along.
totally unworkable and a non starter to begin with but his fawning support will blame the eu as promised.
problem is, will anyone that opposes him?

he's on record saying he will illegally ignore the benn act already, parliament will be prorogued again next tuesday for the queen's speech, again, which means he's taken a grand total 1 pmq session.
is this what taking back control and sovereignty looked like for leave voters?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join