It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harris County deputy dies after being shot during traffic stop near Cypress

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Deputy shot in back as he left a traffic stop. Shooter must be a real coward of a human.

A Harris County Sheriff's Office deputy died Friday, shortly after being shot during a traffic stop Friday near Cypress, according to Sheriff Ed Gonzalez.

Sandeep Dhaliwal, 42, pulled over a vehicle around 12:45 p.m. in the 14800 block of Willancy Court when someone approached him from behind and opened fire, striking him multiple times, Gonzalez said. Dhaliwal was a 10-year veteran on the force, and the agency's first Sikh deputy.

Link

Dhaliwal was conducting a traffic stop, the sheriff said. There were two people in the vehicle. As Dhaliwal was headed back to his patrol car, Gonzalez said a man got out of the vehicle with a pistol.

"In a cold-blooded manner, ambush style, (he) shot Deputy Dhaliwal from behind," Gonzalez said.

Two people are in custody in connection with the shooting, the sheriff said, and a weapon was found that deputies believed was used on Dhaliwal.

Link

edit on 9/27/2019 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 08:27 PM
link   
RIP. Was Sheriff present or how do they know these facts, traffic cams?

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: tulsi

He said that a woman who was outside gardening nearby, heard the shot and then saw the suspect run to a getaway car. She ran to Dhaliwal and called 911. Lee said the suspect then went to a store nearby.

At least one witness.

Harris County Sheriff's Office Maj. Mike Lee said dashcam video shows Dhaliwal and the suspect, still in his car, having a conversation with no sign of confrontation. A few seconds after Dhaliwal returned to his squad car, the suspect ran up and shot him, Lee said.

Dash cam
edit on 9/27/2019 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 10:12 PM
link   
wonder how much time in prison is the suspect(s) facing, or does tx have capital punishment for killing state/county officers?

I heard murdering postal worker is automatic death penalty wherever, since they're federal officers..

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I imagine the death penalty will be in play. Purposely killing an officer is seriously frowned upon.

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Death penalty works.

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 11:10 PM
link   
This is extremely sad and troubling. His family must be devastated.

While it is positive arrests were made, no amount of justice can bring back his life. By all accounts officer Dhaliwal was trying to do good. This is a senseless act of violence. It makes me sad and angry that someone would do this to one of the good guys.

posted on Sep, 28 2019 @ 08:21 AM
link   
The governor said flags will go to half staff.

Robert Solis, 47, was charged late Friday with capital murder in the case.

I wonder if he even issued a ticket to the driver.

posted on Sep, 28 2019 @ 08:37 AM
link   

"It looked to just be conversational. There was no combat, no arguing, just looked like a routine traffic stop that we conduct every day," Lee said. "Deputy Dhaliwal returned, began to walk away, returned back to his patrol car and within about three to four seconds, you see the driver's door on the suspect's car open. You see the suspect exit the car, almost immediately running with the gun already out and ran up from behind and basically ambush Deputy Dhaliwal.

Possible shooting suspect taken into custody at a business a quarter-mile from the scene.
A female passenger in the car was also taken into custody.

Link

Make me wonder if it wasn't a hate crime due to the officer's appearance.
edit on 9/28/2019 by roadgravel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2019 @ 08:40 AM
link   
From the news this morning, the suspect had been in prison before and didn't want to go back. He was stopped for running a stop sign.

posted on Sep, 28 2019 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Pulled over for running a stop sign.

Doesn't want to go back to prison? Then why shoot an officer who is leaving and letting him leave?

Here is a tip.

If a person doesn't want to go to prison. don't shoot police in the state. That is certain to get at least prison time, with luck. Worse without luck. Criminals are stupid it seems, as they say.

Early Saturday morning Solis was charged with capital murder. The judge set no bond at his first court hearing.

"The nature of the allegations involved in this case and the manner at which the murder was carried out indicate to me that Mr. Solis is in severe and immediate danger to the community at large," the judge said

"A deputy observed that he looked a little nervous and put him in custody, and that did turn out to be our shooter," Lee said.

Lee adds the weapon believed to have been used to shoot Dhaliwal was recovered in the parking lot of the business.

It was revealed in court early Saturday morning that Solis was caught on surveillance video trying to throw away the Glock 45 caliber semi automatic gun used in the murder.

Officials say Solis called friends after the shooting and told them he just shot a deputy and needed to be picked up.

"I believe it was a suspect, he has a lengthy criminal history, on parole, probably knew he was going to go back to jail and did not want to go back to jail," said Lee when asked about a possible motive. "It was senseless.

Link

posted on Sep, 28 2019 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: TXTriker

I was just posting that also.

Killing an officer is not the way to avoid prison in Texas.

I suppose he under estimated law enforcement in Texas. He would not "get away".

posted on Sep, 28 2019 @ 09:00 AM
link   
This guy has been running from a parole violation since 2017... That's two years!

heavy.com

In 2017, a warrant was issued after he was again accused of violating parole for allegedly assaulting his girlfriend and weapon possession. He was still wanted on the warrant at the time of Dhaliwal’s death for allegedly carrying a firearm.

The article is pretty detailed with this guys record.

posted on Sep, 28 2019 @ 09:06 AM
link   
So it may have been the officer was going to run his ID, it wasn't the end of the stop.

That would fit.

Shooting the officer is a guaranteed trip to a shorter prison stay.

new topics

top topics

join