It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone’s opinion or belief ever been changed on ATS?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Just a little thread to see if anyone here has ever had the experience of their stance or belief in a politically-related topic, or any topic really, being changed because of something you read on ATS or a discussion you had here?

If so, please tell us about it. What was the situation? What helped you to change your mind?

My hypothesis is that most people come here with their mind made up one way or another. They talk about their beliefs and other people agree with them or disagree with them. But I don’t think anyone’s opinion or belief ever changes. I think most people post and discuss to get confirmation of what they already believe, whether it’s conscious or subconscious.

You might think you’d like someone to prove you otherwise, but in the end you’ll likely dismiss any evidence against what you already believe, because of something called confirmation bias.

If anyone has ever had an opinion or belief changed here on ATS especially about something politically-related, or about anything at all, I would love to learn about your experience.

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Absolutely yes.

I thought that aliens were real and the government was covering it up and that there were real videos of UFOs from other planets. I believed in exopolitics and the government of our relationship with off world lifeforms.
I have come to realize that they are not real and the videos are all peoples mistaken identification of bugs or balloons.
I have learned that the world is full of gullible people and that there are people who do not want to be educated.
That is not me.
I want the truth even if I do not like it.

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Of course it was not one discussion or post that changed my mind.
The revelation was slow like grass growing. You don't notice it till you finally do.

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 04:51 AM
link   

I thought that aliens were real and the government was covering it up
a reply to: Sillyolme

They arent ?????

Well it was quite the opposite of me. Since registering, I'm now absolutely convinced of the cover up.

Isnt it amazing. One of us is a moron

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 04:56 AM
link   
I always thought the world was round but now, pretty sure it’s flat, I mean when I was told about how a tennis ball will stop rolling, how could I argue

Couple of things but nothing major
If I learned anything, there is no balance and people will believe what they want, logic has no value
That and extremists are extremists and will never see any middle ground, others, just get along

Even a basket ball will stop rolling, think about that

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 04:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: MarioOnTheFly

I thought that aliens were real and the government was covering it up

They arent ?????

Well it was quite the opposite of me. Since registering, I'm now absolutely convinced of the cover up.

Isnt it amazing. One of us is a moron

Is it possible you've fallen into the trap of believing if other people see things differently than you do they must be morons. Perhaps you are looking in a mirror while thinking you are judging others.

edit on 27-9-2019 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Apparently the pentagon doesn't agree.......

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 05:04 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

its possible that you have a reading comprehension problem.

My statement reads..one of us. I have not claimed who it is, nor can I be certain 100 % at this point. I may have enough evidence to satisfy my own mind, but I have no evidence to convince the world. Therefore, it is not yet certain which one of us is a moron.
edit on 27-9-2019 by MarioOnTheFly because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 05:06 AM
link   
a reply to: ravenshadow13

I've not had my opinion changed by reading the political threads on ATS. If anything, reading through the threads has just strengthened my stance. There have been a few times that reading the threads here have caused me to research something I normally wouldn't, so, with regards to that they've been helpful..

But it is very rare that I read through a political thread anyways. The headlines are click bait normally and the subject matter is usually akin to reading Soap Opera Digest.

Thanks,
blend

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 05:09 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Yes for me, not in a single post, but over time. Here are a few examples
1. The government isn’t as smart and all powerful as I thought yet they lie their ass’s off.
2. Bigfoot doesn’t exist, even in Alabama.
3. UFO’s are probably from another dimension or time, not another planet.
4. Space is a lot bigger than I ever dreamed of. My perception was very limited.
5. I used to vote democratic, and now I think Trump is a genius instead of a dunce, and the Democrats are dim. Except the Clinton’s. The Clinton’s are ruthless and without a moral compass.

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 05:15 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

let me give it to you one more time..."one of us is a moron". If you dont get it, try thinking about it like a Schrodinger's cat thing.

Until we as a species collectively agree on a "truth"....we are both morons or neither one of us is. The uncertainty principle. My own opinion on the matter of "aliens" is not enough to claim "truth" for anybody but me alone.

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 05:19 AM
link   

I came here thinking Masons didn't run anything, now I know we're part of the chemtrail/depopulation agenda.

Enjoy being a sheeple sandwich.

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 05:25 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

Omg lighten up already. I'm messing with you no need to go all tds on me. I'm assuming you've read the threads recently on this site. This thread is a welcome change to the left right rubbish.
edit on 27-9-2019 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 05:31 AM
link   
After reading here for quite a while, I was convinced nobody could post a thread about anything without politics getting dragged into it somehow.

So far my mind hasn't been changed!

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 05:34 AM
link   

I would say yes to ATS changing my perspective, not just one individual or another on ATS. The community has taught me to dig deeper, ask questions, seek answers.

No matter the issue, even when I personally disagree with another poster, if they provide me with verifiable resources it is more understandable.

It is difficult to say one member, thread or post changed my mind specifically....but the community has evolved my perspective and searching for answers on issues since the day I arrived here.

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 05:54 AM
link   

I’m not sure it came from ATS, but I started a decade ago and believed most conspiracy theories had a strong possibility of truth.. Bigfoot, Nessie, religion, exc..

But I found zero things that were legit supernatural.

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 05:55 AM
link   

Ditto

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 05:56 AM
link   
a reply to: MarioOnTheFly

For sure...

Lol as it is with most contentious issues..

So I would be really cautious when I was the side making the more extraordinary claim.

posted on Sep, 27 2019 @ 06:03 AM
link   

You should have an open mind,

But please explain how you could possibly know that aliens are not real.

Occam's razor says they are

I live on a fence btw you can see both sides from there.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join