It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study Confirms DU Use on Iraq Children - Documents Impacts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2019 @ 03:55 PM
link   
www.foreignpolicyjournal.com...

A new study shows an association between depleted uranium, used by the US during the Iraq war, and the risk of birth defects in Iraqi children.

Nasiriyah was bombed by the U.S. military in 2003 and in the early 1990s. Open-air burn pits were used at Tallil Air Base beginning in 2003.
Now take a look at these images of infants who were born between August and September of 2016 to parents who had continuously lived in Nasiriyah. The visible birth defects include: anencephaly (A1 and A2 , B), lower limb anomalies (C), hydrocephalus (D), spina bifida (E), and multiple anomalies (F, G, H). Imagine if these tragic birth defects had been caused by a natural disaster or the misdeeds of the next government targeted by the United States for “regime change” — would not the outrage be widespread and thunderous? But these horrors have a different cause.
Depleted uranium (DU) weapons were not just stored in Iraq, but also fired in Iraq. Between 1,000 and 2,000 metric tons of DU was fired in Iraq according to a 2007 report by the U.N. Environment Program. The Pentagon to this day claims the right to use DU. Depleted uranium is permanently hazardous waste from the production of nuclear energy, a source of energy marketed by its lobbyists as environmentally beneficial.

2003 is so long ago. And only now thru recent studies are the effects being registered.

Meanwhile Pentagon exercises its dog given right to dump DU wherever it pleases.

Afghanistan, Libya, Yemen, even Syria, already. Iran, next?

Not only did bringing DU weapons to Iraq amount to putting “Weapons of Mass Destruction” in Iraq in the name of eliminating “Weapons of Mass Destruction,” but using and storing DU in Iraq arguably violated the Convention on the Prohibition of the Military or Any Other Hostile Use of Environmental Modification Techniques. The use of DU was also one part of an illegal war, which in its entirety violated both the UN Charter and the Kellogg-Briand Pact. Each element of such a war is illegal. In addition, the use of such weapons violates the Geneva Conventions’ ban on collective punishment, as well as the Convention on the Prevention and Punishment of the Crime of Genocide.

Isn't it extremely ironic, that US invaded Iraq under false pretenses of its gov harboring WMDs, yet brought in and used WMDs on its people?

How long will it get away with these global atrocities? What is with America's obssession for radiation extermination anyway, since like 1945 to present; where is it headed??

posted on Sep, 25 2019 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I don’t like the Federal Government either, but don’t mistake the warmongering Progressives and Deep State assholes for our entire nation. Most of us don’t want war.

posted on Sep, 25 2019 @ 04:26 PM
link   
That may have been twisted a great deal.

Did we use DU in Iraq? Yes

What was the purpose? Anti-Tank

Did we know that the rounds would shed dust when fired? Soldiers didn't know. Can't say top brass did. I don't think they would have knowingly.

The research is likely the aftermath to keep up with the aftereffects. I don't think it's as evil as it's made out to be.

Was it messed up? Yes. It was. A lot of us suffered through it and many are still suffering. It didn't only affect the people in Iraq. It has taken a toll on many of us as well.

posted on Sep, 25 2019 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Depleted uranium isn’t the main cause. You touched on one of the reasons in your OP when you mentioned open burn pits. There were over 500 US bases built in Iraq at one time or another and all of them had at least one releasing God knows what into the Iraqi environment . Not to mention that lead paint is prevalent throughout the country to this day .

Things like dropping munitions that disbursed lead and mercury when they explode on dwellings with a 50 year accumulation of lead paint. Makes for a dangerous mix when the paint on the buildings is vaporized by them.

Here’s a study of tooth enamel hair and toenail clippings. From children with birth defects . It found exorbitant amounts of lead and mercury in them and very little uranium exposure .

Deleted uranium is a problem but it’s not the biggest problem . But it does keep us occupied debating it while ignoring the much larger toxic legacy we left in Iraq which would be hugely expensive to clean up .

Hence “the shiny nickel” .

Study

edit on 25-9-2019 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2019 @ 04:44 PM
link   
I remember seeing burning pits all over the place all off base. I'm not sure how DU would make it into one or even if it would be bad compared all the other crap the Iraqis burnt every day. In Iraq DU was used in the 30mm and the most danger was from fires of the tanks that were shot up. The biggest danger is the dust and not so much the radiation, as it is a heavy metal poisoning. The big point here is that about the only place you can get in contact with it is in old burnt-out tanks and vehicles, It is not like it is in burn pits, but then they burn a ton of other chemicals all the time that has nothing to do with the war.

posted on Sep, 25 2019 @ 04:49 PM
link   
You need to do a better job of identifying propaganda.

The study being cited isn't even published yet. It's only been submitted.

The vast majority of this article cites opinion pieces and antiwar sites which aren't exactly impartial.

Let us know when there's an actual study to read.

posted on Sep, 25 2019 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: tulsi

If I'm not wrong, most of the Free World including NATO all have these munitions stockpiled for use. You would not want people to think this was just another poorly attempted jab at the US.

I'm opposed to the use of these munitions, but know how widespread their use is.

Same article at the original source. WARNING: EXTREMELY GRAPHIC IMAGES.

I hate it when these non-profits use images like that to raise money and even worse when the money goes to a person who turned himself into a non-profit.

Click on donate you go here.

There you find the form to pay by credit card on a page that is not secure, where no doubt identity thieves gather info. Unless of course you just happen to notice the line about it not being secure.

The form embedded below is also on this secure page if you prefer.

Now why would anyone in this day and age put that on a page that is not secure unless there is some nefarious reason? Seems odd to me?

Then if you do notice that and click to go to the Secure Page you find this posted below.

Contributions will go to
David Swanson
Charlottesville, Virginia

Quite a racket there.

Now I've been around enough non-profits to know, if it says the money goes to David Swanson rather than any cause, it means it. It's the disclaimer hoping people won't notice it or understand it. Nothing illegal, just a bit deceptive.

Kinda off topic a bit I know, but I like to know the source of information. Books don't sell and the media won't hire you, I suppose you have to get paid for writing some way.

edit on 9/25/2019 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2019 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

When I see a source that looks dubious like this one. The first thing I do is go to their homepage and review the other articles. I’ve found that it pretty much sets the tone for their agenda .
edit on 25-9-2019 by Fallingdown because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2019 @ 05:11 PM
link   
oh and It's half-life is nearly 5 BILLION years; it takes that long for half of it to turn into... lead

making it use go even way beyond the next generations; a highly effective eugenic device that mutates, cripples before it kills.

posted on Sep, 25 2019 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

I do the same and I always follow the money on a source to judge credibility and of course the real agenda.

Nominated for the Nobel, which of course means nothing and won a prize from another non-profit similar to their own as credentials is also suspect.

posted on Sep, 25 2019 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Good topic to be honest. It would be nice if you had included some more sources for information on it all. Some without the obvious agenda.

These munitions are a bad thing, I agree. They should not actually exist.

posted on Sep, 25 2019 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

I don’t follow the money I guess I should add that .

Like I alluded to earlier I generally consider them one of three things. Biased, neutral or non-biased then research their opinion accordingly .

But I will go on the record now nominate you for Nobel peace prize.

My Internet credibility standards you can add that to your credentials post haste . Lol

posted on Sep, 25 2019 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Did you know the longer the half life the less radiation the thing emits...so when you hear about stuff having short half lives it emits lots of radiation as it is less stable. I didn't know that until reading about something totally unrelated and happened upon the info and was surprised I had it backwards the whole time. Not saying it makes it safe...just a whole lot safer than you're implying.

posted on Sep, 25 2019 @ 06:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Fallingdown

Thank you so much for the nomination! Are we having a moment

I'm a true believer in follow the money when it can be followed.

This topic though, I do admit I'm against the use of those munitions. Risk may be minimal, but I think the risk is there.

posted on Sep, 25 2019 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Re

originally posted by: StallionDuck
That may have been twisted a great deal.

Did we use DU in Iraq? Yes

What was the purpose? Anti-Tank

Did we know that the rounds would shed dust when fired? Soldiers didn't know. Can't say top brass did. I don't think they would have knowingly.

The research is likely the aftermath to keep up with the aftereffects. I don't think it's as evil as it's made out to be.

Was it messed up? Yes. It was. A lot of us suffered through it and many are still suffering. It didn't only affect the people in Iraq. It has taken a toll on many of us as well.

Read up on Depleted Uranium. It's not about radioactivity - know at least something about what you are talking about before talking like you know something,

Highlights • Uranium is an actinide heavy metal that is chemically toxic and radioactive. • Depleted uranium (DU) has a lower fraction of 235U isotope when compared to natural U. • In vivo and in vitro studies were assessing the influence of DU irradiation. • DU is inducing epigenetic changes in mice and fish. • DU released in the environment is a serious pollutant and toxic to the living organisms.

www.sciencedirect.com...

I'll help - mainstream science does tend to downplay the toxic properities long-term so they can keep using DU in mutitions and as balast,

It's about dust - ingesting or inhaling. Then wait 10, 20, 30 years and ....
edit on 25-9-2019 by FyreByrd because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2019 @ 11:07 PM
link   
How would America react if someone started shooting DU rounds in one of their cities? Thats ok, we have lead in our water.

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: FyreByrd

What are you on about? You've basically said EXACTLY what I said.

Ever heard of the Gulf War syndrome? How about you learn a little. I was there. I think I know very well what I'm talking about.

Are you sure you do?

posted on Sep, 26 2019 @ 04:56 PM
link   
DU irradiation on Mideast since at least 2003

Fukushima irradiation of Pacific with 10 different radioactive elements since 3/11/2011

They (depopulists) will likely irradiate the southern hemisphere by 2020.

And Eastern US by 2025; maybe just DC being near is delaying?

top topics

join