It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple will build new Mac Pros in Texas amid tariffs

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Is the US factory going to have suicide nets?

Jokes aside.

Apple consumers are a very frugal bunch, they aren't about to just blow a bunch of extra money on a product they could buy for less. I don't think apple can afford to raise the prices and their margins are razor thin(do they even have ANY cash on hand?). So surely apple can't absorb the cost difference.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

Over all? I think when you actually look at China's involvement in the unsustainable economy of the US China has brought nothing but prosperous wealth. You have to remember, the US literally had the world by the neck post 1945, and they chose China to be their workhorse for a lot of the consumer products.
You can obviously argue that Japan was once the 'china' of today, but the US wanted to establish a federal reserve type system in Japan and actually sort of succeeded, hence why the US government can easily go to them at a whim.

But, China has always been against the grain in the US foreign policy. Especially in economics, it's funny tho because at the same time the obvious has happened, unchecked global free market and home grown capitalism clearly took over the US economy, all the while pretending to give the illusion of 'libertarian' style of life for the American people.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 08:52 PM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

I do agree that pretty much every politician since my birth in '86 has been a crock of lies and s#*%...and maybe trump is the sleeper candidate they sent after obama worked and just cause too much distaste by the end requiring something different to do again. But thus far I see a man who seems to be trying if not succeding in keeping promises he campagined on and generally trying to do right by the actual people of this country.

Our best assets in the way our government works is also its Achilles heel as far as how it can subvert common sense and logic.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: contextual

Apple has always been over priced. I guess it's better for them to make use of what we would consider slave labor to make their products ? They also are able to skirt the much tougher environmental laws in the US, dump the hazardous by products into the rivers and soil, and avoid paying their share of taxes while they do it. Amazing leftists gymnastics

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 09:16 PM
link   
but this will create inflation and ruin the economy

that's what you guys said when you talked about price rising from higher minimum wage

hmmmm

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 09:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: JAGStorm

originally posted by: contextual
Just means overpriced apple products get another price hike, this isn't really a win for the consumer.
paying higher prices to own the libs

Some people know the price of everything but the value of nothing.

This is an absolute win for Americans.

Exactly, some of these people can't see the forest for the trees. On the one hand they complain about jobs being sent overseas then in the next breathe they complain about prices.

At the end of the day, it is the consumer who ultimately is in the driver's seat. If Americans want products and jobs here in the US, they have to be willing to pay a little more. It is just that simple.

I am willing to pay a little more so my neighbors can remain employed.

Odd, I've seen you argue against minimum wage hikes because higher wages ruin the economy. In this case you are taking the position of the person you argue against in a minimum wage debate.

Odd people you are. Consistent you are not.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 09:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Subaeruginosa
a reply to: Metallicus

I notice your fox news source conveniently left this little gem out.

Apple specifically credited the work of the Trump administration in helping it have some components "excluded", which is thought to be part of the ongoing trade dispute between the US and China. "The US manufacturing of Mac Pro is made possible following a federal product exclusion Apple is receiving for certain necessary components," it wrote in its announcement.

www.independent.co.uk

But, hold on...

In July, Donald Trump had suggested that Apple would not be given any dispensation from tariffs for parts for the Mac Pro.

"Apple will not be given Tariff waiver, or relief, for Mac Pro parts that are made in China," he wrote then. "Make them in the USA, no Tariffs!"

Seems to me all that's actually happened here, is that Trump gave in to Apples demands of Tariff waivers.

Doesn't sound fair for the small businesses that don't get waivers. Yay, the rich get richer.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Trump has the guts to bring jobs back to America and to go against the states desire to keep imports high so they can pass through their state creating high paying jobs and to attract the millionaires to start big tech places in their states.

posted on Sep, 25 2019 @ 04:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

Just means overpriced apple products get another price hike, this isn't really a win for the consumer.

I am willing to pay higher prices for American made products. Also, MACs aren’t purchased by the same people that purchase PCs. Price isn’t an issue for most MAC PRO buyers.

I was going to say basically the same thing so I'll just agree with you!

The only thing I don't care about price on are my Apple products! I'll happily pay more for them being made here. I've had all my Apple devices for at least 3 years or more. I joke that my Apple products cost more than my car but they're reliable as can be!!!

posted on Sep, 25 2019 @ 04:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star
a reply to: JAGStorm

Well said JAGStorm! I remember when all our factories were leaving and people had difficulty finding employment. A win for sure!

Where I live we use to have a few Fortune 500 customer service centers. They employed thousands of locals that is until one day they started outsourcing and in a few years all these companies were outsourced to India. One group trained their Indian replacements! It was crazy. You could make killer money at these places and they had excellent benefits. It's sad they're all gone. They were great for college kids and single parent households because they worked around your schedule. I loved when I worked there. I worked there in 2001-2003 and I made MORE then than I do now and I have more experience and licensing I didn't have before and yet I make way below poverty. It's crazy...

I wish companies brought back service here. Back then customer service was done right! Now with it overseas so many issues arise from language barrier issues! ATT is the worst and their techs that come will tell you stories of how bad overseas service is the leading cause of most of their service calls. I feel bad for the reps because they're just trying to make a living too but they really can't help you beyond the pre are script they're to go by based on key words you say!

posted on Sep, 25 2019 @ 05:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: toysforadults

Exactly, some of these people can't see the forest for the trees. On the one hand they complain about jobs being sent overseas then in the next breathe they complain about prices.

At the end of the day, it is the consumer who ultimately is in the driver's seat. If Americans want products and jobs here in the US, they have to be willing to pay a little more. It is just that simple.

Odd, I've seen you argue against minimum wage hikes because higher wages ruin the economy. In this case you are taking the position of the person you argue against in a minimum wage debate.

Did he argue min wage hikes, or did he argue against mandatory $15 for burger flippers.

posted on Sep, 25 2019 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: contextual

You pay more so people can have a living wage, and not get stuck in the rear like Chinese workers.

posted on Sep, 25 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   
a reply to: mblahnikluver

Where I live we use to have a few Fortune 500 customer service centers.

1999 I worked in a very large call center. I saw it go from 500 people to around 4 of us in a matter of a year and a half.
It was so sad. I was one of the 4 left. To this day I believe it was a thread of fate that I was left there.

posted on Sep, 25 2019 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Two totally different topics.... not odd if you understand economics. One is a micro issue vs a macro issue in my mind.

Minimum Wage: I am against government setting a floor for wages. The market determines wages.

With that said, I don't believe we should be encouraging our manufacturers to relocate to other countries for cheaper labor. This isn't even like moving from say MI to Carolinas because the UAW is inflating costs... Low skilled American workers cannot under any circumstances compete against someone who can live off $2.00/day in a straw hut. Our tax policy, tariff policy, etc needs to seek fair trade so that it is a reasonably level playing field.

I find it odd that leftist now want our companies to go overseas and essentially use what amounts to slave labor instead of dong things to keep those jobs here in the states.

posted on Sep, 25 2019 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

you are saying that an increase in price from wage increases is acceptable.. is that not the basis of your post?

posted on Sep, 25 2019 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus
I've never been a fan of Macs but if this comes to pass, I commit to buy one over a new Windows PC.

Another win for the President and the American workforce.

posted on Sep, 25 2019 @ 02:49 PM
link   

you are saying that an increase in price from wage increases is acceptable.. is that not the basis of your post?

Yes, but it isn't that simple.

I'm saying I can accept higher wages and ultimately higher costs to keep jobs stateside in the US. This is more of a macro level issue. The American standard of living is far higher than many of these third and second world countries. A guy making $15/hr cannot compete with some guy willing to work for $2/day. It simply isn't comparable and I rather keep those jobs here than have them shipped overseas.

We need to create an environment where companies rather keep their manufacturing here in the US.

The minimum wage is different because we are arbitrarily raising wages beyond what the market can bear for a particular skill and supply of those workers. In fact, actions like this are what encourage companies to move overseas and seek automation.

posted on Sep, 25 2019 @ 03:11 PM
link   

whatever your reason is doesn't matter the outcome is the same

any_var_input = same_outcome

edit on 25-9-2019 by toysforadults because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2019 @ 03:14 PM
link   

You mean like Apple isn't already stupidly overpriced? What do you think that iPhone 11 actually costs them to build?

posted on Sep, 25 2019 @ 06:12 PM
link   

On that $2 a day versus $15 per hour note, what is that $2 really equivalent to in the US? What are their costs of living versus ours, and how far will that $2 actually get them in a day for goods and services?

I see a LOT of bitching about the pay difference, but never, ever a solid comparison to see who's buck is really better at the end of the day for whom.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join