It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Friendly PSA: it's chigger season in the south.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Chigger sounds racist, they must get a new name for them.

I do not think we have them around here. Are Chiggers sort of like small ticks in size??

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Use bleach in your bath. I've done this, it works.

Remedy No. 1 Bleach Bath – I know this sounds crazy, but this one has worked great for me and most anyone I have recommended it to. My grandparents used this remedy after working in corn fields, cutting hay or working in the garden. The ingredients are quite simple: standard household bleach, warm bath water, and a large bathtub. Just add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup bleach to a full bathtub (with water enough to cover your body where the chiggers have bitten) and soak. From what I understand about this remedy, the bleach dries out the bite, kills any leftover critters, and tames the itch. It can be repeated as needed.

Link

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

After being bitten by a tick, and unfortunately getting Lyme Disease, I never go walking outside without spraying some type of repellent on my shoes, socks, arms, and hair.

I was using Apinol, which is a form of pine oil. It works great. Mosquitoes didn't come near me, so hopefully ticks and chiggers won't either.

I now use wondercide, which is cedar oil.
I bought it to kill fleas on my cats. It definitely kills them, and when I forget to apply it, the mosquitoes are on me.

It's non toxic, so I have no fear of applying it.

I would think it would repel chiggers, also.

To anyone reading this, please do everything possible to avoid being bitten by a tick. Please read about Lyme Disease, and the many other diseases ticks can cause.

I wish I knew about Lyme Disease and how to avoid being bitten by a tick years ago. This is a miserable way to suffer.

Ticks diseases are spreading, as well as tick populations.

Please everyone, please for your safety and health, research how to avoid ticks, how to properly remove one, and what treatment to seek.

Bless you all

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: zeta55

Thanks for the knowledge sir.

Sorry to hear of your misfortunes. I know where you're coming from, I just mowed the lawn, something I've done countless times and here I am. But luckily, this is temporary.

Sometimes pride doesn't let people be vigilant to forces we deem petty, but all it takes is a guy check to give us perspective.

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 11:09 PM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Here's a handy guide of where to move from or to, depending on where you are. I'm in the yellow now and have never heard of anyone around here getting chigger bites. My retirement land is in the white. Hope it stays that way.

I'm the kind of person who prefers wasp/bee stings to anything itchy from a bug. If I could snap my fingers and do away with mosquitos without destroying life on Earth, it would be my one wish.

edit on 9/24/2019 by dogstar23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 25 2019 @ 06:58 AM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

I've lived in the south most of my life. I've had occasional run ins, instances where I have to ask myself "are these mesquito bites, or chigger bites?"

This time was so bad I thought it was just a severe allergic reaction (likely part of it) since there were so many bites.

I just can't believe this was in my yard which stays mowed. But a valuable lesson was learned... And I won't be mowing or doing things without putting a deterrent on my boots.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join