It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yellowstone - How much damage will it actually cause?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 03:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Just edited to add about the ice age part before I caught your post. But breathing the ash can kill you really quickly, so you may not live into to new ice age.
edit on 22-9-2019 by MichiganSwampBuck because: Added extra comments

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 05:16 PM
link   
It's in GOD's hands. I don't think this will be an instrument of wrath or destruction any time soon.

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 05:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Mach2

And...

This has been covered countless times, the OP could have easily checked the old threads instead of creating a new one that doesn't provide any new information.

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 05:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
The United states will get off easy if Yellowstone erupts.
We will die early and not be starved to death by the new ice age.

Most of the mid west will be covered in ash, the goes the bread basket. the corn basket and the beef, pork, and chicken industries. The world will starve first.

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 06:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn
a reply to: Mach2

And...

This has been covered countless times, the OP could have easily checked the old threads instead of creating a new one that doesn't provide any new information.

or not. I've never seen those maps before. Maybe it's a repeat of some buried threads on ATS, but I'm sure I would never find them. I appreciate OP bringing it up. Lots of stuff presented on ATS essentially goes "below the fold" and is basically lost forever. Just let it happen and stop being so picky, eh?
edit on 9/22/2019 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRepublicOfCanada

This is always a fun thought experiment. Lets say that it pops:
On the west coast of the US is not a bad place to be. The Rocky Mountains will provide some delayed protection, here is Washington State those of us on the western side of the Cascades should also get some delayed protection.

Having food and water saved up for a year wouldn't be a bad idea either, but even better would be to have at least 5-10 years of food.

For the first year or two having P-95 or better face masks and a full house HEPA filter would make living a bit more survivable.

Setting up a green house for growing personal crops after that would also be a good idea. Even if a "Volcanic Winter" happened (which it very well could) a green house would still be able to produce enough food for yourself and for friends and/or family.

Other important things that should be considered:
Communication. Being able to send and receive information as well as being able to receive import news and entertainment (which is always overlooked).
Organizing neighborhood resources. Knowing what skills and logistics each remaining neighbor provides adds to the ability to survive for long durations.

I'm sure I'm missing something basic, but that's the basic plan I can think of right off the top of my head.

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 07:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Guyfriday

This is always a fun thought experiment. Lets say that it pops:
On the west coast of the US is not a bad place to be. The Rocky Mountains will provide some delayed protection, here is Washington State those of us on the western side of the Cascades should also get some delayed protection.

Though we might survive here, the rest of the nation would be toast. The supply chain would stop in its tracks. Electricity would be shut off. No more shipments of gasoline so even if you have a generator, it wouldn't last long. Grocery stores and pharmacies would be stripped within three or four days. Roaming bands of people would be looking for those with stored food. There's not a lot of crop land this side of the Cascades and getting crops in and working would be problematic.

I'm thinking we'd be screwed along with everyone else.

posted on Sep, 23 2019 @ 12:51 AM
link   
After it blows, it turn into lake. Yellowstone Lake

posted on Sep, 23 2019 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Yeah I read the ashes would circle the world. Not sure there's any hiding place. Food will certainly be disrupted. i guess the further the better.

posted on Sep, 23 2019 @ 02:35 AM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

Yeah I would have never searched the topic, but I learned something new since somebody posted a map of the fallout.

posted on Sep, 23 2019 @ 05:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: whiteblack
After it blows, it turn into lake. Yellowstone Lake

It turning into a "lake" is the least of our problems...

posted on Sep, 23 2019 @ 06:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom

Right next to it?
I figure quick and easy death would be best, compared to the alternative.

Absolutely, this guy had the right idea, 👍

🍻

posted on Sep, 23 2019 @ 07:29 AM
link   
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Thanks for sharing the map links. I also believe that Nebraska's Ashfall Fossil Bed discovery may give a more accurate study on what would occur here in America.

First excavations at Nebraska's Ashfall Fossil Bed Natl Park

True they estimate that these were created nearly 12 million years ago when an offshoot caldera of Yellowstone erupted up in southwest Idaho. The caldera was bigger than the current Yellowstone but the discovery in Nebraska is amazing look at the effect the ash had on the wildlife and plantlife at the time.

They nicknamed it the Pompeii of the Plains. Since the fossils are amazingly as pristine of a setting as those in Pompeii. Check out the full article. It is amazing in details of this discovery. I must admit it looks like larger humans will not die quickly or in hours...but tragically will suffer days / weeks before the eventual end. Sadly, grieving for their wee ones on top of that.

Edit: curiously, I wonder if this eruption assisted the glacial period in? Guessing if my Michigan family survives initial fallout...after a period of time...we would have to safely migrate south and east as perhaps the Clovis people did in history. Found an info tour vid of this site for those who want a quick view:

edit on 9 23 2019 by CynConcepts because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2019 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

I understand that, but posting to old threads usually doesn't lead to conversation, and real time exchange of ideas..

Why would it matter to you if people want to revisit a topic? You don't have to participate, or even read the thread.

It's only data storage space we are talking about here. If no one is interested, the thread will die. If a handful of ppl, who may have interest, discuss something, I don't see how it could possibly harm, or be a problem for anyone.

Am I missing something?

posted on Sep, 24 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts
a reply to: MichiganSwampBuck

Thanks for sharing the map links. I also believe that Nebraska's Ashfall Fossil Bed discovery may give a more accurate study on what would occur here in America.

First excavations at Nebraska's Ashfall Fossil Bed Natl Park

True they estimate that these were created nearly 12 million years ago when an offshoot caldera of Yellowstone erupted up in southwest Idaho. The caldera was bigger than the current Yellowstone but the discovery in Nebraska is amazing look at the effect the ash had on the wildlife and plantlife at the time.

They nicknamed it the Pompeii of the Plains. Since the fossils are amazingly as pristine of a setting as those in Pompeii. Check out the full article. It is amazing in details of this discovery. I must admit it looks like larger humans will not die quickly or in hours...but tragically will suffer days / weeks before the eventual end. Sadly, grieving for their wee ones on top of that.

Edit: curiously, I wonder if this eruption assisted the glacial period in? Guessing if my Michigan family survives initial fallout...after a period of time...we would have to safely migrate south and east as perhaps the Clovis people did in history. Found an info tour vid of this site for those who want a quick view:

You're very welcome for the map links, thanks for your link as well. Your comment below helps to illustrate how dangerous the ash fallout is in comparison to global cooling.

I must admit it looks like larger humans will not die quickly or in hours...but tragically will suffer days / weeks before the eventual end.

Yeah a mini ice age would be a huge disaster, but the losses due to the ash, wildfires and smoke, earthquakes and other immediate effects will be tremendous.
edit on 24-9-2019 by MichiganSwampBuck because: For Clarity

top topics

<< 1   >>

join