It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnetic field study connects extinction events to the changes.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 07:38 AM
link   
From
agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com...

It is a huge paper and will take some time to read but here is a teaser to help you decide if you care to read further.

The strength of Earth's magnetic field in the past, recorded by rocks and sediments, provides a proxy for past flux of ultraviolet radiation (UVR) to Earth's surface due to the role of the field in modulating stratigraphic ozone. About 40,000 years ago, mammalian fossils in Australia and Eurasia record an important die‐off of large mammals that included Neanderthals in Europe. In the Americas and Europe, a large mammalian die‐off appears to have occurred ~13,000 years ago. Both die‐offs can be linked to minima in Earth's magnetic field strength implying that UVR flux variations to Earth's surface influenced mammalian evolution. For the last ~200,000 years, estimates of the timing of branching episodes in the human evolutionary tree, from modern and fossil DNA and Y chromosomes, can be linked to minima in field strength, which implies a long‐term role for UVR in human evolution.

To my ATS family, I am not sure if the two Authors of this paper are in good standing with the scientific community, but that data has had standing to my knowledge and I present it here for discussion and for the true curmudgeons to poke their holes where they can. I accept their facts and challenge any bad logic as it raises it's ugly head.

edit on 21-9-2019 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 08:41 AM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

Well, now see that's the question...are they in good standing with their peer reviewers? Are there any peer reviews out there? Has their study been reproduced? How accurate is radiometric dating, really?

www.cs.unc.edu...
edit on 19CDT08America/Chicago05480830 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

Well, now see that's the question...are they in good standing with their peer reviewers? Are there any peer reviews out there? Has their study been reproduced? How accurate is radiometric dating, really?

www.cs.unc.edu...

Valid observation...I recall this data being available when I was in school. And what does it mean being the position we were taking?

Over time it has morphed from strange factoid to something worth considering. Our magnetic poles are going haywire.
here is another link with lots of cool data presented with many sources referenced for digging in deeper.

link

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Some scientists say that it is way too complex and unpredictable and we simply can't make a complete model of the Earth's magnetic behaviour, yet. So we don't know if it's behaviour is haywire or not.

www.esa.int...

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

Some scientists say that it is way too complex and unpredictable and we simply can't make a complete model of the Earth's magnetic behaviour, yet. So we don't know if it's behaviour is haywire or not.

www.esa.int...

But yet some of the same scientists have no problem with the climate change model...

There is also a peer-reviewed study out there that links penises to global warming, so all peer-reviewed means nowadays is that one nut case found two other nut cases to sign the study off.

The Hopi say that thousands of years ago they were brought by the "ant people" to caverns that they had to live in for a time before they could come back to the surface.

Thank you for the OP... I will dig into it tonight!

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

You have inadvertently proved the point that I was trying to make. Do your own research because everybody has an opinion and remember that bias exists within science and with scientists trying to make a name for themselves.

The Hopi maintain a complex religious and mythological tradition stretching back over centuries. However, it is difficult to definitively state what all Hopis as a group believe. Like the oral traditions of many other societies, Hopi mythology is not always told consistently and each Hopi mesa, or even each village, may have its own version of a particular story

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Time for you to research the Younger Dryas event. A fragmented comet slammed us around 12,800 years ago. It created a mini-ice age until about 10,600 years ago, during which time megafauna went extinct.

It is also theorized there was a population bottleneck that resulted in us losing advanced technology but, again, that is speculation.

There are a number of stories from many different religions and areas of the world that describe the flood following the impact event.

A number of impact sites have been identified including the most recent one beneath the Greenland ice sheet. I can't remember the total number of impacts. I think it was something like eight or nine.

Something for you to read -

phys.org...

Take with a grain, as Wikipedia can be edited by anyone including flat-earthers -

en.m.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Creep Thumper

Time for you to research the Younger Dryas event. A fragmented comet slammed us around 12,800 years ago. It created a mini-ice age until about 10,600 years ago, during which time megafauna went extinct.

It is also theorized there was a population bottleneck that resulted in us losing advanced technology but, again, that is speculation.

There are a number of stories from many different religions and areas of the world that describe the flood following the impact event.

A number of impact sites have been identified including the most recent one beneath the Greenland ice sheet. I can't remember the total number of impacts. I think it was something like eight or nine.

Something for you to read -

phys.org...

Take with a grain, as Wikipedia can be edited by anyone including flat-earthers -

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Both events probably did happen. I was aware of this theory and don't discount an impact event bigger than we have seen in our recorded observations. This fact should not affect the magnetic field situation from happening or encourage it either. Thank you for bringing it up as part of the mystery. It is not to be overlooked, agreed.

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 01:26 PM
link   

I thought i read somewhere recently that one of the two nutcases signing off on a study is oft the original nutcase who did the study, thus only requiring one other nutcase for review. I cannot say exactly but i recall it amounting to something this dumb.

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 01:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman
From
agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com...

It is a huge paper and will take some time to read but here is a teaser to help you decide if you care to read further.

The strength of Earth's magnetic field in the past, recorded by rocks and sediments, provides a proxy for past flux of ultraviolet radiation (UVR) to Earth's surface due to the role of the field in modulating stratigraphic ozone. About 40,000 years ago, mammalian fossils in Australia and Eurasia record an important die‐off of large mammals that included Neanderthals in Europe. In the Americas and Europe, a large mammalian die‐off appears to have occurred ~13,000 years ago. Both die‐offs can be linked to minima in Earth's magnetic field strength implying that UVR flux variations to Earth's surface influenced mammalian evolution. For the last ~200,000 years, estimates of the timing of branching episodes in the human evolutionary tree, from modern and fossil DNA and Y chromosomes, can be linked to minima in field strength, which implies a long‐term role for UVR in human evolution.

To my ATS family, I am not sure if the two Authors of this paper are in good standing with the scientific community, but that data has had standing to my knowledge and I present it here for discussion and for the true curmudgeons to poke their holes where they can. I accept their facts and challenge any bad logic as it raises it's ugly head.

So at 11:30 point on the video, scientists claim that there were never any extinction rates from magnetic reversals nor fluctuations.

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 02:09 PM
link   
a reply to: InTheLight

I got that it was from UV radiation. More UV was present due to the magnetic pole cycle and the weak field, I will say solar system cycle since the Sun is changing too during the pole reversals.

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Justoneman
a reply to: InTheLight

It was from UV radiation.

I know.

posted on Sep, 21 2019 @ 02:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: drewlander

I thought i read somewhere recently that one of the two nutcases signing off on a study is oft the original nutcase who did the study, thus only requiring one other nutcase for review. I cannot say exactly but i recall it amounting to something this dumb.

And if I had never heard of this or been taught some semblance of geological history I wouldn't waste our time exploring this here.

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Holly bat # batman. Do you know how long that will take to read, probably like 30 minutes or more.

Maybe should have a made a few points more you would want to get across in the OP.

As to what you have quoted.

Oh ya, a bit to much UV leads to all kinds of things evolving, but mostly it leads to skin cancer. And in all that time with the field playing hopscotch every few tens to hundreds of thousands of years, still have not evolved a way around that, and even despite some peoples much toted melanin content, it does not seem to help them all that much when the UV is shinning strong.

Maybe thats why we did not evolve scales or a skin that is used to the sun, simply because things change from time to time, sometimes your get way to much UV, and sometimes you get a mile high ice sheet and no sun. So whats to point, may as well evolve to cover yourself.

Soooo. What that shows is. That evolution, and much like God, seems to work in mysterious ways.

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 07:21 AM
link   
a reply to: galadofwarthethird

I have to agree that there is a mysterious situation happening on Earth. There are many things coming our way now we've never witnessed before our ability to record things so well as we do now.

That simple fact that increased UVR is associated with a weak magnetic field in this study and the Occum's Razor begs us to look at it as the most likely thing to occur when the magnetic field is in flux.

DNA is altered by radiation and that magnetic field issue causing side affects is the subject I expect to concentrate on here.
It looks more and more like the Ice ages associated with some of these tragedies are related to either Volcanic activity blocking out the Sun or huge Asteroids hitting the Earth. There is a lot to find out even today.

Thank you for your post.*

edit on 22-9-2019 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 07:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Creep Thumper

Reading from the linkphys.org...

According to one hypothesis, a cometary airburst triggered massive wildfires, which caused the climate to cool. Many scientists have rejected this hypothesis, citing lack of sufficient evidence, in favor of others. The most widely accepted one says that during the deglaciation process, fresh water from the proglacial lake Agassiz discharged into the Arctic Ocean, altering ocean currents.

That made me think, DNA doesn't change so dramatically when we freeze to death that a new species appears with little direct connection in the fossilized records to explain the matter.

Here is an excerpt from deeper in the paper I linked.

UVR triggers dissociation of oxygen molecules (O2) into oxygen radicals that combine to form stratospheric ozone that in turn absorbs UVR as it splits into oxygen atoms. Certain ozone‐depleting agents (such as nitrogen oxides) are produced naturally by energetic particle precipitation from solar wind, particularly during solar proton events, and therefore, times of low geomagnetic field strength lead to higher ozone depletion (Randall et al., 2005, 2007).

The magnetic field weakening affects the UVR blocking Ozone (O3) in the upper atmosphere. This is the data that concerns me. At ambient breathing level O3 is dangerous because it is so reactive it hurts our lungs. Near the edge of the Atmosphere it blocks UVR by consuming the photon of energy and breaking Ozone into 3 O2 molecules and then it supposedly rapidly reforms into 2 O3 molecules and maintains the integrity of the blocking affects.

edit on 22-9-2019 by Justoneman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 08:15 AM
link   

well Great

Fukushima is destroying the Pacific Ocean waters...
and an eroding magnetosphere is allowing high energy particles And UV to bombard us surface dwellers with DNA damaging cosmic rays from all our skies

7-8 billion people can't all live in caves/rocks/tunnels/under-ground or under-sea

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Very true that all won't fit. Mars is our answer IMO, we need to send people to colonize the Solar System or we could go the way of the Neanderthal.

posted on Sep, 22 2019 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Star for diving deeper into it. It's a really fascinating subject. 👍🏻

posted on Sep, 23 2019 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Well wasn't there that one thread even on ATS months ago about pilots about how every plane out there had to upgrade there software navigational systems because the mag north is moving faster then they thought.

Or here, its from January I remember now they made everybody update all there navigational software. Anyways a few miles every year is hardly all that much, so we will see. Its really nothing to worry about, or at least yet. Or who knows really it may even all be bull# and nothing ever changes under the sun or even the sun.
The magnetic north is moving 34 miles a year towards syberia?

<<   2 >>

join