It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proportional Representation?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 03:49 PM
link   
More than a few would say the UKJ's political parties 'converged' some time ago.

I also would question the idea that PR equates to 'nothing being done'.
Check the state of continental Europe, hardly a case of topor and inaction.

Even Italy some would say high-lights just how well a country can get on despite a 'revolving door' Parliament and that it explodes the myth that we need that kind of 'stability' those in the UK think justifies FPTP.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
Even Italy some would say high-lights just how well a country can get on despite a 'revolving door' Parliament and that it explodes the myth that we need that kind of 'stability' those in the UK think justifies FPTP.

The fact is a "revolving door" parliment does not lead to the stability we DO have, and althoguh Italy is a stable country, it is not as successful as the UK, partially due to lack of leadership. I personally would much prefer a political party to actually be ABLE to implement some real ideas, rather than just settle for what has become the status quo... Actions speak louder than words for certain, but PR is nothing but chat with little or no outcome... Adn as for Europe, it's not as if every nation has a compeltly different politcal party to the rest of the others. As we know, it is many split between parties of a basic Conservative mentallity and that of a basic Labour (perhaps a bit more left) mentality. Hardly huge contrasts as far as European legislation is concerned.

Originally posted by sminkeypinkey
More than a few would say the UKJ's political parties 'converged' some time ago.

Yes SOME would say. Some being those who don't understand any of the principles of the three main parties. I would agree that the gaps in politcal thought have become closer, but to suggest that they have converged in the sense that they are the same is laughable. The majority of Labour back benchers do still believe in the fundemental principles of the Labor cause, even if TB doesn't... And the state of the economy can hardly be due to the Conservatives and Labours economic policy being the same can it? As every school kid doesn't know but should, there is a big difference in our economy between now and the 80's and 90's... but I don't need to tell you that.

[edit on 14-6-2005 by John Pearce]

new topics

<< 1   >>

join