It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American fashion brand sparks outrage over school shooting-themed hoodies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 01:29 PM
link   
In before someone posts "no such thing as bad publicity"

I got nothing with this..

"American fashion brand Bstroy has received fierce criticism on social media after displaying school shooting-themed hoodies at a show during New York Fashion Week. The brand's spring/summer 2020 collection, designed by Brick Owens and Duey Catorze, featured distressed hoodies reading "Stoneman Douglas," "Sandy Hook," "Virginia Tech" and "Columbine," the sites of four of the deadliest school shootings in the US."

Looking at the pics of the sweatshirts in question you have the school name and bullet holes in the fabric. Honestly at what point did someone say "yah this is a good idea"

It truly defies logic and I hope this brand learns a valuable lesson that their are plenty of ways to make sell things that don't involve cashing in on terrible scenarios.

Sweatshirts

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 01:37 PM
link   
From the article:

Text "Sometimes life can be painfully ironic. Like the irony of dying violently in a place you considered to be a safe, controlled environment, like school. We are reminded all the time of life's fragility, shortness, and unpredictability yet we are also reminded of its infinite potential."

Irony would be the designers and sellers getting shot.

The circle of life.
edit on 18-9-2019 by DeepImpactX because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 01:44 PM
link   
A hoodie for summer? Ugh.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I thought the object of fashion was to push boundaries and force people to look at things from differing, often overlooked, angles.

This does none of that and simply begs outrage dollars. Probably a cheap ploy for free and rapid publicity (which they have) but people, when pushed emotionally, never react the way companies want; looks like this backfired - rightfully so

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 02:15 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

Wow. Not even an original controversy! They definitely knew what would happen.

Urban Outfitters did it first.
edit on 18-9-2019 by Atsbhct because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Il never understand fashion, all those hoodies look like they were worn by a homeless man for a year and the “show” looks like it’s taking place in the back hallway of a barbershop.

I’m guessing all of it still cost more than my car though.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 03:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Quantumgamer1776

That's the point see.

You think its low key, when really it's a narcissistic cesspool of self love and extravagance. It's disgusting, it really is. They try to ironically parody working class life and still get it so badly wrong.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 04:08 PM
link   
In this episode of "When being woke goes wrong..."

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 04:10 PM
link   
That is a leftist brand obviously pushing the public buttons for disarmament of the U.S. citizens.

If the so-called "news" did not publish the article then you would never know about it.

The war is real.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Generation9
That is a leftist brand obviously pushing the public buttons for disarmament of the U.S. citizens.

If the so-called "news" did not publish the article then you would never know about it.

The war is real.

the real question is how long until the next school shooting.... would it be non-pc to take bets ?

the real sad part is a school mass shooting is just on the horizon if my elementary statistics serve me right

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I think the people who came up with this idea definitely may have a problem.

Greed has no shame when it comes to making a dollar.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 11:24 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

The current brand of hipsters with their "ironic" social commentary (which is always so painfully obvious that it borders on an almost inhuman lack of creativity) has me actually missing the crybaby/angst-riddled emos of the 'aughts.

posted on Sep, 19 2019 @ 07:06 AM
link   
I'll take a Columbine hoodie, in my opinion it's just satirical commentary on current social developments.

top topics

join