It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump taps hostage negotiator Robert O'Brien for national security adviser.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 10:18 AM
link   

President Trump has tapped Robert O'Brien to be his new national security adviser, replacing ousted former national security adviser John Bolton. O'Brien is currently the State Department's special presidential envoy for hostage affairs.

Immediately, O'Brien will be tackling any U.S. response to the Saudi oil strikes. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is scheduled to be in Saudi Arabia the next couple days to assess the situation. O'Brien will also be in the position to give Mr. Trump guidance on what to do in Afghanistan, which was a major point of contention between Mr. Trump and Bolton.
CBS

Well I think it's good that someone within the administration gets tapped, that way they have an idea of the flow of things.

Looking back into O'Brien's track record in working with and for the government, he comes off as pretty moderate, which I'm a fan of.

Hopefully he doesn't have as hawkish as an approach as his predecessor.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

President Trump has tapped Robert O'Brien to be his new national security adviser, replacing ousted former national security adviser John Bolton. O'Brien is currently the State Department's special presidential envoy for hostage affairs.

Immediately, O'Brien will be tackling any U.S. response to the Saudi oil strikes. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is scheduled to be in Saudi Arabia the next couple days to assess the situation. O'Brien will also be in the position to give Mr. Trump guidance on what to do in Afghanistan, which was a major point of contention between Mr. Trump and Bolton.
CBS

Well I think it's good that someone within the administration gets tapped, that way they have an idea of the flow of things.

Looking back into O'Brien's track record in working with and for the government, he comes off as pretty moderate, which I'm a fan of.

Hopefully he doesn't have as hawkish as an approach as his predecessor.

Interesting pick.

A Hostage Negotiator of his status and experience deeply understands people's motivations and is an expert at tapping into those motivations and manipulating people to do things they would not otherwise consider doing.

As a National Security Advisor to the President, the question will be; will he be convincing the President to do certain things or convincing the President's cabinet to do what the President wills, or some of both. Either way, his career has proven he is an nationally recognized expert at convincing people.

An unusually potent choice for NSA, whether he is a tool for good or ill? Time will tell. It will only be dangerous if he has an agenda beyond advising the President.

edit on 18-9-2019 by Extorris because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 10:47 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

O'Brien was responsible for helping with the A$AP Rocky case in Sweden, after the rapper was found guilty of assault but did not face prison time for it.

Well, there it is! The guy's a shoe in!

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Extorris

A Hostage Negotiator of his status and experience deeply understands people's motivations and is an expert at tapping into those motivations and manipulating people to do things they would not otherwise consider doing.

He's not really a hostage negotiator by trade, looks to be an attorney with a background in working with and for the public sector.

But since his role was hostage negotiator, it is in the same vein as national security, so he got promoted is essentially the gist I get... But I could be wrong.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Sookiechacha

He's probably proven himself to be a yes man... Which is the biggest prerequisite the current admin seems to check off when looking for someone.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Trump brings on new staff:

trumpets: he's brilliant, Trump only has the best people around him

6 months later....

Trump fires hired personnel:

trumpets: he was deepstate, we never liked him anyway.

cult...
edit on 18-9-2019 by odzeandennz because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: CriticalStinker
a reply to: Sookiechacha

He's probably proven himself to be a yes man... Which is the biggest prerequisite the current admin seems to check off when looking for someone.

THAT...

"Robert O'Brien said, 'Trump is the greatest hostage negotiator in history.' He happens to be right," Trump said, according to pool reporters. "We are 38-0. 38-0, ask Robert. In fact, I had never heard the term. Robert O'Brien said Donald Trump is the greatest hostage negotiator of all time. 38-0. At the time he said it we were 29-0. We are 38-0."

CNN has contacted the State Department for further details on the numbers cited by Trump.

During an Oval Office meeting in March, O'Brien celebrated Trump for his success returning American hostages.
"This wouldn't happen with all of these hostages and detainees without the support of the President," he said. "The President has had unparalleled success in bringing Americans home without paying concessions."

www.cnn.com...

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 11:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: odzeandennz
Trump brings on new staff:

trumpets: he's brilliant, Trump only has the best people around him

6 months later....

Trump fires hired personnel:

trumpets: he was deepstate, we never liked him anyway.

cult...

Our cult is cooler than yours.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Well, I do hope he doesn't turn out to be an ass like the others - Trump deserves some loyalty.

There is it.

Peace

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 05:01 PM
link   
PRESIDENT IN CALIFORNIA: Trump URGENT Press Conference and Announcement

Here is a recent press conference with Robert O'Brien and Trump talking about the situation.

top topics

join