It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Use of rifle silencers in close combat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 04:21 AM
link   
As you know, rifle silencers are frequently used in covert actions as they are great in concealing the location from where the shots are fired. On the other hand, in regular military or guerilla warfare, such useful stuff are not being used at all.

In the modern military age, stealth is everything especially when targeting a much technologically superior opponent and if "your location being detected by the enemy" means inevitable annihilation on your part.

It is true that silencers may reduce the impact and accuracy of rifle fire, however their advantage as a source of stealth far surprasses their negative aspects.

[edit on 6-3-2005 by outlier]

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Actually, I have read a number of print articles that demonstrate that suppressors, properly fitted, can increase accuracy. I have no personal experience to back that up since my exposure to supressed weapons has been limited to 15 yard ranges with submachineguns and a few long guns which I could never shoot worth a damn anyway.

I dug up a few online articles that are worth browsing: Google search

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 06:52 AM
link   
My understand of accuracy with guns is “The longer the barrel, the further it’ll go accurately” if that makes sense.

For example, the reason something like the Artic Warfare Police, has such a long barrel or the Technika Magnum 96 Destroyer is another good example. This longer barrel helps to keep the bullet going in a ‘straight line’ for a longer duration then if the barrel was smaller. So surely by adding a silencer you ‘extend the barrel length’ and help the accuracy of the weapon?

Also, the longer the barrel the higher the muzzle velocity because ‘the push’ of the ‘shot’ is behind the bullet for longer?

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 03:03 PM
link   
It would depend on what you call 'close combat'. Do you mean under 50 metres 'Close Quarter Battle' or 'close in ranges'? That is to say, any target over 50 metres?

From my experience, you simply would not use a 'silenced' rifle for close combat. It would prove to be too big and bulky.

If you want a weapon for long range work, simply use a sniper rifle that can be fitted with a silences.

If not, use the venerable H&K MP5SD3.

SKD

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 04:38 AM
link   
One thing to remember with silencers is that they also require the use of sub sonic ammunition. Otherwise the gasses will be suppressed, but the bullet would still make a crack based on the breaking the sound barrier.

That reduces the range of the bullet, due to the reduced load.

posted on Mar, 7 2005 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Ahh, O.K. then SKD, I never knew that.

Could explain why they do less damage as well.

SKD

posted on Mar, 8 2005 @ 10:19 PM
link   
I guess so, but getting hit with a bullet is gonna hurt regardless I'm sure heh

Suppressors on rifles generally tend to be really big. Though I've seen some for the M4 which only look about 10 cm long, but maybe that technology is too advanced for the public to have.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Whilst silencers look 'cool', they effect the balance of the weapon, make the weapon muzzle heavy and are cumbersome and the majority most definately effect muzzle velocity - even when sub-sonic ammunition is used.

The silencers I used were about 12 and 18 inches long respectively, extremely lightweight (being manufactured from plastic or polycarbonate), had two 'leather' baffles or washers (about 1/4 inch thick) - one at the front and the other at the rear between which, was a series of wire wool washers. (These allegedly absorbed the rapidly expanding gasses)

To attach it to my rifle, the 12 inch silencer slotted into a grove cut along the barrel of my SLR and was secured with what I can only describe as a 'butterfly' screw. This silencer - used with military ammunition, only had a limited lifespan of 10 to 12 shots.

The 18 inch silencer or suppressor I used, was attached to the weapon by the simple method of screwing it directly over the barrel. (That is, a thread had been tapped over the last few inches of the muzzle and not the other was round, as depicted in some Hollywood firlms)

I found that accuracy was traded for stealth but, in my opinion, it was down to ammunition type.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Odium
My understand of accuracy with guns is “The longer the barrel, the further it’ll go accurately” if that makes sense.

For example, the reason something like the Artic Warfare Police, has such a long barrel or the Technika Magnum 96 Destroyer is another good example.

the good ol' AWP from Counterstrike. Its actually the Arctic Warfare Magnum, based off of a Steyr Rifle.

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 06:33 PM
link   
www.accuracyinternational.com...

It's based off of that rifle, there.

top topics

join