It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sorry Rocket Denialists Flat Earthers, Satellite TV is a Real Thing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I feel bad the flat earth thread got locked. So, here you go flat earthers. A forum where you can rant that people never have been to space, satellite technology is a fraud, gravity is really density, and pro wrestling is totally real.

I grew up rural in the 80’s in an area to this day that still has no cable TV. The only means to receive HBO was by satellite TV. The neighbor got theirs early. Huge 12 foot fiberglass dish.

I was trying to see if I could find a picture that looked like the neighbors dish for context, then I came across the story of Captain Midnight.

Sorry more context first. My parents got their small black mesh dish (8 feet in diameter) about the time the satellite broadcasts went to scrambling. The story of Captain Midnight brought back lots of memories. Trying to watch the playboy channel scrambled. It gave a whole new aspect to Electric Blue. My parents talking about going with a subscription, or buying the illegal descrambling chip.

Anyway, the story I ran across.

Captain Midnight: The folk hero satellite fans needed

tedium.co...

One night, MacDougall used his telecom skills and access to take a shot at the pay-TV giant. While working a secondary job monitoring the feed of a pay-per-view satellite signal, he decided to use the signal he had at his disposal to outpower HBO’s own satellite feed. He put up a message, printed in white letters over a test feed, with a simple message of protest: “$12.95/MONTH? NO WAY! [SHOWTIME/MOVIE CHANNEL BEWARE!]”
The signal override, which took place just after midnight on April 27, 1986, was only four-and-a-half minutes long and didn’t cause much damage besides annoying a handful of people who really wanted to see The Falcon and the Snowman. But the situation was so unusual that authorities were worried that they were dealing with a domestic terrorism threat, rather than a harmless protest by a guy whose livelihood had been endangered by HBO’s aggressive pricing strategy.
The reason was that, as a 1986 issue of Mother Jones notes, was that MacDougall accidentally exposed a major flaw with the satellite system as a whole. And he had a satellite powerful enough to jam military defense systems.
“It was video terrorism all right, but Showtime and HBO are the least of the worries,” Donald Goldberg wrote in his piece. “Massive amounts of sensitive Defense Department information are carried along the same satellite networks that MacDougall exposed as vulnerable to the acts of satellite saboteurs. This information, ranging from encrypted telephone calls to routine orders, is at the mercy of any Captain Midnight with more on his mind than satellite scrambling.”

Well. Any who. Flat Esther’s and Rocket Denialists. In the 80’s, where was my satellite dish HBO broadcasting from if not from a satellite from Earth’s orbit? Why would your flat earth little g god not want me to have my Nickelodeon via satellite dish in his fishbowl world? I guess you can’t do that on TV. Well, satellite TV.
edit on 16-9-2019 by neutronflux because: Added a bit

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 11:00 PM
link   
a reply to: neutronflux

Flat earthers would just point out that the government uses your power lines to transmit stations to your satellite dish receiver, since they are using them to receive all your information too.

The "dish" is just a decoy.

The "Box" is the important part.

Just being contrary.

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 11:12 PM
link   
There was a flat earth documentary on Netflix I think and I was sort of rooting for them. Questioning what nobody questions. Until I saw someone buy them a $10,000 gyro that disproved their theory three times. Yet, they still believed in flat earth.

posted on Sep, 16 2019 @ 11:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12
There was a flat earth documentary on Netflix I think and I was sort of rooting for them. Questioning what nobody questions. Until I saw someone buy them a $10,000 gyro that disproved their theory three times. Yet, they still believed in flat earth.

They washed down the red pill with koolaid, and they are impervious to logic, facts and reason. It's just intellectual blowback, and I blame the Subgenius cult...and others.

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Do you REALLY want to attract Turbonium1 into a thread?

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 06:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
Do you REALLY want to attract Turbonium1 into a thread?

You know the individual would be unbearably lonely without their flat earth threads.

It does challenge one’s reasoning. It makes you take stock in what you believe and why.

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Everybody knows the Earth is shaped like a carrot and God is a giant space rabbit.

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 10:06 AM
link   

So we're supposed to take your word that you had TV in the 80's? What have you proved?

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I work with a 3.5 meter satellite dish for broadcast. If I move it a degree or 2, I lose lock on the signal from the satellite. The only box is a L band to fiber converter to get the signal to the studio and the satellite receivers. If I get coordinates from another ground station looking at the same bird and work out the angles, gee, the satellite is 22, 300(+-) miles up in the clark belt. There are hundreds of stations in the US looking at that satellite everyday 24/7. Flat earth/space deniers/satellite deniers really need to look at reality. I expect that is asking too much.

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 10:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheConstruKctionofLight

So we're supposed to take your word that you had TV in the 80's? What have you proved?

You caught me. It was low definition CGI in a box from NASA to make the neighbors think we had satellite TV.

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 11:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: neutronflux
I feel bad the flat earth thread got locked. So, here you go flat earthers. A forum where you can rant that people never have been to space, satellite technology is a fraud, gravity is really density, and pro wrestling is totally real.

I grew up rural in the 80’s in an area to this day that still has no cable TV. The only means to receive HBO was by satellite TV. The neighbor got theirs early. Huge 12 foot fiberglass dish.

I was trying to see if I could find a picture that looked like the neighbors dish for context, then I came across the story of Captain Midnight.

Sorry more context first. My parents got their small black mesh dish (8 feet in diameter) about the time the satellite broadcasts went to scrambling. The story of Captain Midnight brought back lots of memories. Trying to watch the playboy channel scrambled. It gave a whole new aspect to Electric Blue. My parents talking about going with a subscription, or buying the illegal descrambling chip.

Anyway, the story I ran across.

Captain Midnight: The folk hero satellite fans needed

tedium.co...

One night, MacDougall used his telecom skills and access to take a shot at the pay-TV giant. While working a secondary job monitoring the feed of a pay-per-view satellite signal, he decided to use the signal he had at his disposal to outpower HBO’s own satellite feed. He put up a message, printed in white letters over a test feed, with a simple message of protest: “$12.95/MONTH? NO WAY! [SHOWTIME/MOVIE CHANNEL BEWARE!]”
The signal override, which took place just after midnight on April 27, 1986, was only four-and-a-half minutes long and didn’t cause much damage besides annoying a handful of people who really wanted to see The Falcon and the Snowman. But the situation was so unusual that authorities were worried that they were dealing with a domestic terrorism threat, rather than a harmless protest by a guy whose livelihood had been endangered by HBO’s aggressive pricing strategy.
The reason was that, as a 1986 issue of Mother Jones notes, was that MacDougall accidentally exposed a major flaw with the satellite system as a whole. And he had a satellite powerful enough to jam military defense systems.
“It was video terrorism all right, but Showtime and HBO are the least of the worries,” Donald Goldberg wrote in his piece. “Massive amounts of sensitive Defense Department information are carried along the same satellite networks that MacDougall exposed as vulnerable to the acts of satellite saboteurs. This information, ranging from encrypted telephone calls to routine orders, is at the mercy of any Captain Midnight with more on his mind than satellite scrambling.”

Well. Any who. Flat Esther’s and Rocket Denialists. In the 80’s, where was my satellite dish HBO broadcasting from if not from a satellite from Earth’s orbit? Why would your flat earth little g god not want me to have my Nickelodeon via satellite dish in his fishbowl world? I guess you can’t do that on TV. Well, satellite TV.

Waste of time, they openly deny logic

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

I heard that they use the power-lines to go directly into your brain. The TV / mind-control conspiracy is just a deception from that. It is like 4D chess.

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 01:11 PM
link   
removed by staff
edit on Tue Sep 17 2019 by Jbird because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Derpy3

God bless you. 😊

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Why do rockets need an altitude specific nozzle to perform optimal at a specific altitude(pressure)? Oh wait we already established that you cant answer that like basically all questions I ask.

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 01:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Derpy3
Why do rockets need an altitude specific nozzle to perform optimal at a specific altitude(pressure)? Oh wait we already established that you cant answer that like basically all questions I ask.

That was under a different name? Is that false? So you have two profiles?

And the question in the opening post was

I am not sure what your looking for? But I hope the best for you.

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oleandra88
a reply to: Lumenari

I heard that they use the power-lines to go directly into your brain. The TV / mind-control conspiracy is just a deception from that. It is like 4D chess.

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Sorry Rocket Denialists Flat Earthers, Satellite TV is a Real Thing

Not really.

Considering price,FAP(fair Access Caps), and latency.

It's still the stone age.

Never mind, That's satellite internet.

edit on 17-9-2019 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Atta boy.... kick that dead horse!

edit on 17-9-2019 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Wouldn't they say the signals just bounce off the sky-show dome (which, unlike Earth, has a curve to it?)

I'm not saying this, the flat-Earth folk are.

new topics

top topics

join