It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Close encounters of the third kind,, retrospective

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I decided to take a day off and flipping through my DVDs and came across a blue ray copy of close encounters.
It's been a long time since I watched this movie and just wow...
I had forgotten how great it real was..

One of my favorite movie scenes of all time is the air traffic control tower dealing with a UFO. Fricken brilliant!
I'll put the clip at the end..

There have been loads of great movies made over the years and I put this one near the top of my best ever list.
One thing I've noticed is that over time we forget how things have changed and our perspective on movies and music is judged by today's standards. We tend to forget that when a film was made in this case 1977, that it was made to fit the audience of that year.
The Beatles music would not sell today...
This movie would not get made today...

I'll give you a perfect example.
Several years back I was in a video rental store,,,I said it was a few years...ha
I was scanning the rack when a young girl asks her mother...
"Why is jaws in the horror section?"

Hmmm.. Why indeed.
Jaws is one of the best horror films ever made but by this young lady's present day perspective it just wasn't scary anymore.

Now I love old sci fi movies and I do my best to remember how the world was in the years they were made.
Do you prefer the 1951 or 2005 war of the worlds movie?
I'll take 1951.

Anyways, what older movies do you all think deserve a bit more attention than they are currently getting ?

edit on 13-9-2019 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Your title scared me... I had thought they were going to remake it.

An excellent film that I still watch every few years or so.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I will and have watched this movie many many times over the years.

If we ever did or do make contact I think this is a very likely representation of how it would (or did) happen...

I have so many favorite scenes that even today produce awe and wonder...I do think Speilberg (admitted to as well) with Roy leaving his family but who knows what you would really do in that situation.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 02:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Lumenari

I tried the film name only as the title but apparently it's already in use so I put again...

I changed the title to retrospective instead of again..

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: abeverage

I always thought Roy was a great family man that had something in his head screwing up his mind. He was compelled to do to Wyoming but not as a conscious choice.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 02:03 PM
link   

The Beatles music would not sell today..

Really ?

In the June 28-July 4 tracking week, The Beatles saw a 26% boost in equivalent album units, earning 54,000, according to Nielsen Music. Of that sum, 17,000 comprised traditional album sales, a 41% increase. Additionally, the band's catalog was streamed 51.2 million times on on-demand services, up 17%, and it moved 35,000 digital downloads, a vault of 40%

www.billboard.com...

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 02:07 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Maybe I should rephrase that a bit.
The Beatles were groundbreaking in their day but would not be considered so now.

Seriously go look up beatle mania and compare that to the boost in recent album sales they gained through a recent movie about their music.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I have read that the production shut down many others because Spielberg had rented every light available in Hollywood.
Absolute masterpiece.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Great film.

His growing obsession with Devils Peak is great.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 02:11 PM
link   

I watched Close Encounters for the umpteenth time a few months ago on TV , Yeah it's still great and will probably be great for years to come , it's a master crafted movie that reflects the dream of many of us.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 02:12 PM
link   
As another fun fact..
The mother ship model used in the movie is located in the air museum connected to Dulles airport near Washington, D.C..

I saw it a few years ago and it is spectacular...you gotta find r2d2 if ya can..

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 02:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: grey580

Great film.

His growing obsession with Devils Peak is great.

We hit Devils tower on our way to Yellowstone last year.
It is quite the sight..

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 02:26 PM
link   
I watched it just two days back also.

Another one of those movies i wonder if they have just great imagination or inside knowledgde.
Maybe a little of both !
edit on 13-9-2019 by EartOccupant because: Cosmic interference.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 02:28 PM
link   
The stars at night are big and bright 'clap, clap, clap,"at here yonder place.
Deep in the heart of Texas.
Wink, wink, nudge, nudge.
"Enchanted rock" the locals call it.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: grey580

/in resonance/
Some say it's a tree stump....
/out resonance/

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 02:31 PM
link   

I had forgotten how great it real was..

Absolutely Blunt. There were basically two types of sci fi back in those days. Those that projected benevolent aliens and those that projected malevolent aliens. Aliens to hope for and aliens to fear.

There was consideration that all of these movies were to help the populace to get alien visitation into the general consciousness so that when contact was established for all, we would be ready. It's almost like there was a battle going on to see which of the two perceptions would prevail, would we fear or would we embrace.

Close Encounters was the pinnacle of the embracing type. It began scary, with scary trailers and the little kid disappearing and the strong strong music. It took us on the journey of hope and disappointment via the Dreyfus character until we came to embrace it all with the language of music that just swept us off our feet, or rather out of our chairs.

I had hopes back then that general contact would come soon. There had been The Day the Earth Stood Still and a number of others that encouraged us to hope but there were also a bunch that taught us to fear. The Invasion of the Body Snatchers is still frightening to me.

So I don't watch Close Encounters any more. I"ve seen it at least a dozen times. I don't want to hope in alien help any more as it seems that were it to come, it would have done so by now. Well, I guess I can still hope but I no longer look forward to it.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 02:47 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

I look to movies as just entertainment mostly.
A good story, nothing more.
Truthfully when movies, especially today, try to promote a message or agenda they ruin the film.
A subtle message can work fine but beating you with a hammer doesn't.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 03:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: Lumenari

I tried the film name only as the title but apparently it's already in use so I put again...

I changed the title to retrospective instead of again..

Thank you!

The thought of Hollyweird remaking it politically correct made me throw up in my mouth a little bit..

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 03:07 PM
link   

I loved that movie! I can't pick out just one favorite scene, there were so many.

posted on Sep, 13 2019 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: abeverage

I always thought Roy was a great family man that had something in his head screwing up his mind. He was compelled to do to Wyoming but not as a conscious choice.

Obsession or controlled either is not a great thing and yes I thought he was a pretty good family man especially for the late 70's as that was no longer typical. Perhaps that was also a point of him leaving representing the divorce rate and men no longer staying as heads of the household of the old atomic families

top topics

<<   2 >>

join