It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Water found on ‘Goldilocks’ planet

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 09:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

I get the sneaking suspicion that you've already found a way to travel the speed of light and are just trying to say all of that to throw us off track. Mmm hmm!

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Extorris

originally posted by: FamCore
a reply to: TerraLiga

Fascinating discovery! Hopefully nothing crazy has happened to that world in the last 111 years (am I correct that we are "looking" at this world in the past, since it's so far away?)

Right, and if they have a telescope pointed at us they are seeing the earth circa 1908.

So if they're looking at us with a high powered telescope, do they see humans riding horses?

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 10:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: LSU2018

Too many to name them all.

We've got billions of names, just don't put Sheila Jackson Lee in charge of the naming.

All the stars have names, surely we can name the planets that we find orbiting them.

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 11:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

originally posted by: Extorris

originally posted by: FamCore

Fascinating discovery! Hopefully nothing crazy has happened to that world in the last 111 years (am I correct that we are "looking" at this world in the past, since it's so far away?)

Right, and if they have a telescope pointed at us they are seeing the earth circa 1908.

So if they're looking at us with a high powered telescope, do they see humans riding horses?

If such a thing was possible then yes.
When you see lightening and then hear the thunder, that is the difference between the speed of light and sound, but strictly speaking, the lightening also struck before you "saw" it happen because the light took time to reach your eyes.

The first radio signals from earth would have arrived at this planet about 10 years ago, though they get dramatically more diffuse with distance (inverse square law) and would theoretically be near impossible to detect. Our first TV broadcasts would reach this world about 15 years from now.

I am still betting on Proxima Centauri b (or other planet in that system), which at 4 light years from earth, is our closest neighbor.

Proxima Centauri b (also called Proxima b[3][4] or Alpha Centauri Cb) is an exoplanet orbiting in the habitable zone of the red dwarf star Proxima Centauri, which is the closest star to the Sun and part of a triple star system.[5][6] It is located about 4.2 light-years (1.3 parsecs, 40 trillion km, or 25 trillion miles) from Earth in the constellation of Centaurus, making it the closest known exoplanet to the Solar System.

Someone there with a television (modified to pick up and detect diffuse signals) would just now be watching Trump announce he was running for President.

edit on 17-9-2019 by Extorris because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2019 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: LSU2018

The planet is named K2-18b. WHY? Give it a name. Atlas? Artemis? Tantalus? Come on guys.

Exoplanets are named after their host star. The ‘b’ is the first planet and subsequent planets found will be named ‘c’, ‘d’, etc.

posted on Sep, 18 2019 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: 1point92AU

I'll let you do it.
Refer to the part about how transistors were invented, then get back to me.

Typical deflection. Quantum physics is merely a theory so it does not exist. Therefore making your statement to FlyingClayDisk an inaccurate one...again.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join