It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Walmart being sued for el Paso shooting.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Guillermo and jessica Garcia filed a lawsuit against Walmart for not providing adequate security to prevent the attack that killed 22 people in el paso.

Guillermo has undergone multiple surgeries for his wounds and remains hospitalized.

Jessica has stated that her husband stood in front of her to block the shooters bullets.
Just let that one sink in a bit.

www.cbsnews.com...

"The family's suit claims Walmart has a legal responsibility to protect its customers, but failed to do so because it did not employ security guards to patrol the store. The El Paso Walmart where the carnage occurred "does not appear to have had any armed guards for security, although a number of other Walmarts around the country do," the firm said."

Now for the record, I have been to a walmart in Flagstaff where there was an armed policeman inside the store. I'm sure that's not the only one out there.

Now with walmart banning sales of certain guns and ammunition in their stores, many used for personal security, and their statements about open carry in their stores I really think they might lose this case.

www.businessinsider.com...

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Guillermo and jessica Garcia filed a lawsuit against Walmart for not providing adequate security to prevent the attack that killed 22 people in el paso.

Guillermo has undergone multiple surgeries for his wounds and remains hospitalized.

Jessica has stated that her husband stood in front of her to block the shooters bullets.
Just let that one sink in a bit.

www.cbsnews.com...

"The family's suit claims Walmart has a legal responsibility to protect its customers, but failed to do so because it did not employ security guards to patrol the store. The El Paso Walmart where the carnage occurred "does not appear to have had any armed guards for security, although a number of other Walmarts around the country do," the firm said."

Now for the record, I have been to a walmart in Flagstaff where there was an armed policeman inside the store. I'm sure that's not the only one out there.

Now with walmart banning sales of certain guns and ammunition in their stores, many used for personal security, and their statements about open carry in their stores I really think they might lose this case.

www.businessinsider.com...

Any thoughts from the peanut gallery?

They are just looking for someone to sue... Wal-Mart has deep pockets and the lawyers figure they will settle to make it go away.

It is a no win situation in incidents like this because no matter what is done, it will never be enough.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Unneeded litigation like this is clogging the arteries of our courts and giving our justice system a heart attack. These frivolous lawsuits should be thrown out and the people filing them should have to do some time or community service or something. Walmart didnt pull that trigger you schmucks (people who are suing.)...

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Everyone knows Walmart has security, they just happen to be 98 years old, can't walk and are only interested in receipts.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 11:08 AM
link   

TSA at all shopping centers and malls.

Yay police state!

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 11:09 AM
link   

I wonder if a 15 dollar an hour armed security guard is going to risk everything. I mean, I'd like to think that most people would be willing to risk their lives to help other... But unless someone has been battle tested so to speak, who really knows.

I think it's a symptom of something wrong though when people think it's an establishments obligation to protect them from lunatics. After all, it's our choice to go into a store, and it's our responsibility to be aware of our surroundings. Did you see a security guard when you went in? If not, than it's your choice to stay with that knowledge.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: KYRick

I can't say I disagree.
But at the same time they opened themselves up for these lawsuits by telling people they can't carry their own protection in Walmart stores.. Granted that was after this shooting but what about the next one.

Honestly I can't believe any shooting in a gun free zone hasn't resulted in lawsuits over second amendment civil rights violations.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Walmarts, Home Depot and Target usually have an off duty police officer sitting in front of the store here in most Miami locations.

I imagine that most other places will follow suit.

But it's crazy to sue for something that is not the stores fault either. They are victims in this as well.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 11:19 AM
link   

So what about the people that get trampled and beat on black friday?

I would say the world is use at your own risk, but that probably isn't going to sit well with some.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 11:26 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I think that's more than many LEO make when they get their first beat after graduation from academy. Most security jobs, at least around here are barely over minimum wage.
edit on 11-9-2019 by KYRick because: phone fingers

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 11:29 AM
link   
And this is why I personally carry and believe every able body that is able carry also. I for one will not live in fear or only shop at establishments that armed security. As someone else pointed out are you going to trust a armed security guard to protect you and your loved ones? I will not! They are usually young adults that have never fired their duty weapon more than 20times to qualify to carry on the job. Chances are they are not taking the job to serious and are not continuing their training. Now if armed security guards were all ex military or LE and were actually paid a decent salary besides damn near minimum wage I might feel differently. But even then I and I alone am responsible for mine and my loved ones safety and well being. I will not leave that to chance....

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Notoneofyou

All things being equal and you are correct.
But the world we live in today is anything but equal.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 11:31 AM
link   
a reply to: KYRick

We'll call it an even 10 dollars an hour. Most Walmarts are open 24/7... So if they kept one staffed every hour, it would come out to about 88,000~ dollars a year (plus expenses that go along with hiring, drug tests, workers comp ect)... All to defend against something that shouldn't happen in the first place, and may not even stop it if it does.

I don't see that being a business model most Walmarts are going to do.

They're more concerned with theft from a security stand point, and their facial recognition cameras are going to do way better than one security guard could.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Everyone knows Walmart has security, they just happen to be 98 years old, can't walk and are only interested in receipts.

That particular security is more worried about what walks out than in.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 11:34 AM
link   
caveat emptor

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Well as much as want to ask what a peanut gallery is, walmart has no reason to back down.

The ethical debate about gun control has no place in this case (hey that rhymes!) Walmart didn't injure this man, the dude unloading the rounds did, if he was shot outside Jimbos gun 'n run then they would be in trouble as well.

Walmart sell ammo, they don't manufacturer them as far as I know. So looking down the iron sights (another gun joke) Walmart Connot be held responsible for the actions of this individual unless he was an active employee.

I don't want to rant about gun control again, this is a legal issue. If Walmart has the legality to sell ammo, whatever crimes committed is not their responsibility, only the person who purchased the ammo and fired the shots.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Anyplace that restricts "self defense" in any way then gets shot up is liable imo

you own the place and make the rules, then you accept to protect the customer.

yes wackos are out there, this is a fact, so self defense is also a fact.

you disrupt my ability to defend my self by your "rules" you accept the liablility.

I have gun, you don't want me to carry my gun, YOU are resposnible for my safety at that point.

or, ban "gun free" zones. (it infringes on my second amendment rights)

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

The cheap seats in a theater is the peanut gallery...ha
It's also a group that focuses on the insignificant details.

You need to stop looking at lawsuits logically.
For some reason common sense doesn't figure into to verdict.
edit on 11-9-2019 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 11:43 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

Walmart doesn't even want to hire cashiers, no way they will hire security.

posted on Sep, 11 2019 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: thedigirati

I believe in this case Walmart restricted self defense after the shooting so it shouldn't be a factor.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join