It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My awesome neighbor utopia is ending

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I have moved a lot in my life. To say I've had every kind of neighbor is an understatement.
To have good neighbors are worth their weight in gold.
I consider myself a very quiet life type of person. A good neighbor in every sense.
I keep my yard neat as a pin but at the same time do not care what others do to their yard.

We moved into a country neighborhood. Every house has acres of yard.
I hit the neighbor jackpot. Everyone was friendly, yet very similar. They work, come home and pretty much keep to themselves.
Out in the country property is usually respected. People move out here because they want space and don't want to be bothered with
normal suburban squabbles.

So I have this lot next to me. It has sat empty for over two decades. It finally sold. The person building/moving in is obnoxious and I think has some form of OCD or ADHD. What I mean by OCD is that this person drives by this house being built dozens and dozens of times a day. I see this from my front office. He parks in front of my yard. Again, keep in mind my these lots are HUGE. Ok, so what he parks in front, I can live with that, but one does have to wonder, why not park in front of his own yard??? When I first met him, he told me he was building and made it a point that his house would be at the same level as mine. I thought that was weird because his house is downhill. I just thought that was a weird thing to say to a new neighbor. I wonder if he parks in front of my house to see the elevation of his house, which is much much lower than ours.

Here's where it get's sticky.

He is in the process of getting electricity put in. Where you ask... Right on the property line. It has not be dug yet, but they have marked up my yard. I think they made a mistake because they did not mark the survey in the middle when they first started. There is a slight optical illusion that makes it look like they have more land, but it's actually on our side.

Again, keep in mind these lots are acres and acres. If you were building a house on a property like that, would you ever put your electricity, not feet but inches from the lot line. (survey lines are marked now) I actually think in a couple areas it will go into my lot because of mature trees. I do not see any possible way even a piece of equipment could go there to dig without actually being in my yard. The other possibility is removal of the trees, which can't be removed without upheaval of my yard either.
We do not have a utility egress there.
Our lots are gigantic and there is a small egress at the front of the property, not down that side. He actually has an egress on the other side of his property yet is not running electric there.

I have a feeling this might get ugly. Runny electric can get expensive, but I'm not about to let anyone dig up my yard.
If a person was landlocked, or there was really no other way to run electric/utilities etc. I am a reasonable person. I would totally help a neighbor out. Yet here is a person, that has all the space in the world, but is pushing it. Looks like my neighbor utopia has ended.

Has anyone dealt with anything like this? Did you get a real estate lawyer right away, did you confront the neighbor?
edit on 3-9-2019 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I would get that figured out asap. This could cause many issues with property rights later on if you allow it to go forward.

There is no reason they can't move the power lines over several yards in your scenario.

As far as the new neighbor, don't say a thing, let the law sort it out.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:37 PM
link   
If you go the lawyer route, find one proficient in tree law. No idea how the laws are set up where you are, but there are instances where damage to tree have bankrupt multi-million dollar companies.

Edit: I'm not advocating bankrupting the guy, just giving the company he hired an incentive find a different spot to run lines.
edit on 3-9-2019 by Jason79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fools
I would get that figured out asap. This could cause many issues with property rights later on if you allow it to go forward.

There is no reason they can't move the power lines over several yards in your scenario.

As far as the new neighbor, don't say a thing, let the law sort it out.

Thank you for the advice. It just boggles my mind that anyone would ever want to do this.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:38 PM
link   
We need to talk......play it out as a poker player would. Be resolute and firm. You only have to do this for a short while. Sprinkle it with logic and do not laugh. Limit your smiles. He will back down. Tell him encroachment is not going to work and to solve every thing move it some ways further on his property. Be an actor..... rehears , and play it with a firmness devoid of friendliness but not hostile..

Remember it's only for a short while.

If possible, you can try to cultivate a friendship later.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Fools

Totally agree. Get this sorted out right away, and avoid dealing directly with the new neighbor. That probably means getting a lawyer, unfortunately, but I think you will be glad you did after everything is said and done.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:44 PM
link   
That sux. Yep, he is trouble.

What he has is BPD

Borderline personality disorder. Im serious. Look it up. You need to let whoever is doing the work know exactly where the property line is. You may need to erect a small fence on that line. You will probably want one after awhile anyway.

We had some neighbors move in 30 years ago, who got real chummy real fast. Im in the city, on a large lot of over 1/4 acre, landscaped with a koi pond/ waterfalls, redwood tree deck, and small orchard and neighbors had a tiny yard, about 10' x 20'. I go out back one day, and there is the neighbor taking down part of my 6' dog ear fence so they could enjoy my yard too! I said, "NO, NO, and NO! we don't want a gate there, or an opening in the fence. I made him put the planks back on. Then they parked a eyesore of an old boat on their side yard, which was in our front yard I had to look at every day. I didn't say anything, because it was just on their property, but is was rude, and they didnt have to look at it everyday out their front picture window like we did. Borderline personality disorder causes all kinds of problems like that. I wish you luck. My problem moved away after 5 years

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm
Who makes the decision of where the utilities run into the lots since as you stated there is no utility egress like in the cities and burbs. Does the contractor or the home owner or does the county make these decisions? Did you make that decision when you had electricity ran to your home?

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:48 PM
link   
PS, you do not want to be overly friendly with that guy. He will be over at your house daily, and suggest your spouse stay away from his. Be cordial, but not open to chum with them

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: PhilbertDezineck
Who makes the decision of where the utilities run into the lots since as you stated there is no utility egress like in the cities and burbs. Does the contractor or the home owner or does the county make these decisions? Did you make that decision when you had electricity ran to your home?

We have legal defined egresses on our plat. He has one, I have one, the problem is that his is on the opposite side of his yard, and mine is also on the opposite side, not where he wants the line (right between us). I believe you can run a line anywhere you want as long as you pay and as long as it is in your yard. That is where the problem lies, is inches from my yard and when they dig, how will that be possible without being in my yard .

When I lived in the suburbs there were egresses between the lots every house, they were pretty big too. Out here they are very small, like 10ft.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
PS, you do not want to be overly friendly with that guy. He will be over at your house daily, and suggest your spouse stay away from his. Be cordial, but not open to chum with them

That isn't a problem since we both think he is crazy already.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:10 PM
link   
In my opinion if the legally designated egress is not being used and the new land owner want's to move it then it becomes a legal matter. Get a lawyer ASAP and you might ask the contractor why the are digging where they are not suppose to and ask if they have some permit that allows them to move it. This could be a county decision that they asked for and got the permit which you have a right of asking why they are allowing it to be moved since you have mature trees that could be effected. I would check with the county first since they pass out the permits.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:12 PM
link   
All great advice for you there, OP.

This guy sounds like a real dick weasel. Deal with him now, or wish you had.

In my experience, the friendly confrontation attempt with neighbors never works--not with these dick weasels. Bring in the sharks.

Good luck.

Edit: I've seen and dealt with a lot of these types overseeing the construction of their houses. The reason they're so fastidious (driving by 10 times a day) is so they can boss contractors around and feel big.

edit on 3-9-2019 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Have an arborist and a foundation leak repair company come out and give estimates on how much damages will cost to repair .

Undermining a mature trees root structure will definitely cause damage to the tree and the soil structure of the drilled/trenched area.

Also should a utility trench not drain properly, it will most likely end up a costly repair.

Both your tree, and your homes foundation, and landscaping have value.

Any damage caused will be his contractors and his fault.

If he drives by 10 times a day, he will definitely want to know why your having estimates done.
Firmly inform him ANY damages caused to your property from his work will result in lawsuits, and it would be cheaper in the long run for him to locate his utilities where it won't potentially cause issues.

But honestly, he sounds like he is overly aggressive/dominant and enjoys causing discomfort to people.

You may want to consider concealed carry permit and training for firearms if you are not currently licensed and proficient.

Best of luck to you.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

So does he have a wife, and have you met her?

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:22 PM
link   

New developments.

I went out just now and talked to one of the foremen.
I asked where the electric going (I knew already but wanted to see what he said)

He pointed to the lot line. I asked "are they going to stay on their lot?!"
He said "they are supppppppppoooooosto" and then looked terrified.

Game on.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

So does he have a wife, and have you met her?

Yes, she didn't say a word.. not a word.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:26 PM
link   

this helps show what the issue is. No egress on the lot line between us.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:27 PM
link   

My 1st reaction would be to get to a court/tribunal with aerial photos of boundarys etc and try to make him prove it will not impact on your tress.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:30 PM
link   
If it's any help to you, we caught our neighbor (farm house, acreage as well) hiding in our barn naked and jerking off to my spouse doing garden work. (It was a hit on the wallet, but I sprung to move immediately).

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join