It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breixt: Another week of crazy political drama

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Here is why Corbyn knows he is sunk if there is a General Election. He will fight to avoid the people having their say on him:

Half his own party don't trust him on Brexit and nearly 80% of remain voters don't trust him either.
He is universally despised and has zero chance of leading the Labour Party to General Election win. His party will be decimated.
edit on 3/9/2019 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 06:00 PM
link   
a reply to: djz3ro

I miss him as well....I'm sure he's watching somehow, even if he can't comment, and I'm just as certain he'll be pissing himself laughing at this debacle.

My brain hurts with it all, I'm going to listen to some music and thank the Lord that tomorrow is a pub day!

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Bojo may be the shortest PM in UK history.

Bojo is right about one thing.
They don’t need another extension.

They’ll be extended this unto Armageddon

edit on 3-9-2019 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 01:59 AM
link   
It's clear that the UK will never leave the EU with the majority of MPs blocking exit at every turn. They won't agree and accept a deal, and they won't leave without one.

The only way to resolve this is a General Election and / or another binary referendum, or to cancel the whole thing by revoking Article 50.

A General Election will probably return a hung Parliament - or more likely an alliance between Labour, the Liberals and the Scottish nationalists. Such a coalition will kill Brexit as that'll be the price Labour will pay for support.

Another referendum will be designed to return a "remain" vote. The question will be developed by a "remain" focussed Parliament.

At the moment, I cannot see the UK leaving the EU. In hindsight the signs were always there.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 02:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
It's clear that the UK will never leave the EU with the majority of MPs blocking exit at every turn. They won't agree and accept a deal, and they won't leave without one.

The only way to resolve this is a General Election and / or another binary referendum, or to cancel the whole thing by revoking Article 50.

A General Election will probably return a hung Parliament - or more likely an alliance between Labour, the Liberals and the Scottish nationalists. Such a coalition will kill Brexit as that'll be the price Labour will pay for support.

Another referendum will be designed to return a "remain" vote. The question will be developed by a "remain" focussed Parliament.

At the moment, I cannot see the UK leaving the EU. In hindsight the signs were always there.

In which case the Brexit party sweep the next European and local elections and probably take the significant number of seats at the following GE.

Unless there is a significant change in public opinion one way or another I don't see any scenario, leave or remain, that this doesn't stay an issue for years to come.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 02:19 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

I am not so sure the Brexit Party will take loads of seats. What they will do is split the vote. Labour have realised that they are leaking support to the Liberals, hence their change of tactics, but even so the Liberals will profit from both Conservative and Labour politicking.

With Boris in charge the Brexit Party vote will be deflated, but they will take votes from both Labour and the Conservatives.

Who knows how this will pan out. What seems clear to me though (only speculation) is that the King Maker after a General Election will be the Liberal Democrats, and to a lesser extent the Scottish nationalists. They will expect a bargain which results in the whole EU Exit being scrapped. I can see Labour agreeing to that.

Yes, this will have implications for years to come. However, if the UK reverts Brexit you can expect the EU to accelerate towards political consolidation which reduces the ability for any member to leave. There is an EU Roadmap, and that is towards an EU nation state which will accumulate power at an increasing rate. Pity that fact has not really been debated.
edit on 4/9/2019 by paraphi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 02:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
a reply to: ScepticScot

I am not so sure the Brexit Party will take loads of seats. What they will do is split the vote. Labour have realised that they are leaking support to the Liberals, hence their change of tactics, but even so the Liberals will profit from both Conservative and Labour politicking.

With Boris in charge the Brexit Party vote will be deflated, but they will take votes from both Labour and the Conservatives.

Who knows how this will pan out. What seems clear to me though (only speculation) is that the King Maker after a General Election will be the Liberal Democrats, and to a lesser extent the Scottish nationalists. They will expect a bargain which results in the whole EU Exit being scrapped. I can see Labour agreeing to that.

Yes, this will have implications for years to come. However, if the UK reverts Brexit you can expect the EU to accelerate towards political consolidation which reduces the ability for any member to leave. There is an EU Roadmap, and that is towards an EU nation state which will accumulate power at an increasing rate. Pity that fact has not really been debated.

Not in the October one but , if brexit is cancelled or significantly delayed, then certainly at next local and EU elections where people's voting behaviour is different.

Not sure I agree that this would accelerate EU integration. While senior EU figures might like more integration there is little appetite for that amongst national leaders who ultimately hold the most authority within the EU structure.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 02:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth
Corbyn knows he is sunk if there is a General Election. He will fight to avoid the people having their say on him:

Half his own party don't trust him on Brexit and nearly 80% of remain voters don't trust him either.
He is universally despised and has zero chance of leading the Labour Party to General Election win. His party will be decimated.

Watching much of the fiasco on TV yesterday someone said *MP's are the servants

of the people and they are behaving like servants of Brussels* that resonated with

me.

Something else came to mind (I cant bear to watch Jeremy Corbyn when he 'rants'

and I have noticed he had calmed and quietend down lately....... that is till the last

speech he made ..... he started out reasonably and then he started shouting and

thumping the podium, and I thought to myself 'where have I seen that before?'

Well wasn't it in those old news/film clips of Hitler?

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 02:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: carewemust
Is there a source for a quick read of why BREXIT is so hard to do? I know what BREXIT stands for (Britain exiting the European Union), but that's about all.

It really puzzles me...... It must be easier to break out of prison

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 03:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: RexKramerPRT

The speaker is a Conservative.

Is he ?

He is supposed to be neutral

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 04:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
a reply to: UKTruth

Funny thing: I typed "Tories will " and started google with it.

Here are the top three hits from googles "expand your search" proposals:

"Tories will lose next election"
"Tories will be wiped out"
"Tories will win next election"

What I take from this is that the next election is not going to be a safe run for the Tories.

What we take from that is that you don't understand how to internet.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 04:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dem0nc1eaner

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
a reply to: UKTruth

Funny thing: I typed "Tories will " and started google with it.

Here are the top three hits from googles "expand your search" proposals:

"Tories will lose next election"
"Tories will be wiped out"
"Tories will win next election"

What I take from this is that the next election is not going to be a safe run for the Tories.

What we take from that is that you don't understand how to internet.

How comes?
Google just tries to give back what *most* people just recently typed into it, to speed up my search.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 04:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

originally posted by: RexKramerPRT

The speaker is a Conservative.

Is he ?

He is supposed to be neutral

No one in Britain is neutral about Brexit. The Speaker was outed some time ago as a diehard Remainer.

edit on 4-9-2019 by micpsi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 04:38 AM
link   
a reply to: micpsi

Bercow actually had a "Bollox to Brexit" sticker on his car, so hardly neutral I think.

Watched the farce on TV last night. Total train wreck.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 04:46 AM
link   
a reply to: oldcarpy

It's better than CSPAN, by a long shot.

I won't presume to have a valid opinion (not that I don't have an opinion) but I find the British legislative process fascinating (and highly alien).

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 04:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

I'm a lawyer and sometimes I find it a bit alien too!

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

I miss Cornish too. I'm sure he would have had a rant or two about all this.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 05:10 AM
link   
Looks like a new plot to foil the Remainer's Bill:

order-order.com...

Guido can today reveal that pro-Governemnt forces in the House of Lords have a comprehensive, co-ordinated plan to prevent Hilary Benn’s anti-No Deal ‘Surrender Bill’ from becoming law, in the likely event it is passed in the Commons this evening. The Shadow Leader of the Lords yesterday proposed a Business Motion to change the conventions of the House of Lords preventing the bill being talked out and forcing it to be taken on Thursday and Friday. The motion includes the imposition of mechanisms such as time limits, alien to House of Lords convention. Pro-Government peers, however, have tabled 86 amendments to the Business Motion, each of which require two votes to be heard and dismissed…

Interesting times, eh?

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 06:20 AM
link   
A few interesting updates to this thread just from this morning.

So the Scottish Courts have through out the legal challenge to prorogation something that was honestly kind of to be expected.

21 Conservative MPs have been effectively sacked and the Conservative majority is now at -21 but some have actually said it could be sitting at -34 in reality

There is a lot of talk about the general election which is quite interesting, Labour seem to be agains the idea until the Brexit deadline is extended. The reasons for this are complex, Labour are behind on the polls which is probably the main reason they object to it however there is also a possibility that after they agree to a general election its possible for Boris to extend the campaign duration until after the 31st of October.

There are talks of a few Labour MPs wanting to bring back Mays deal, it is not likely that this will pass if the speaker allows the vote

MPs are debating right now in parliament and it looks like parliament will be taking control of the agenda from about 15:00, with the possibility to more Conservative MPs rebelling from the party.

Hard to predict what will happen today after the events of the last 24 hours.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 06:21 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

Hard to predict what will happen today after the events of the last 24 hours.

That's an understatement!

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join