It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breixt: Another week of crazy political drama

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: contextual
Sir Nicholas Soames says he will vote against the government tonight, boris therefore faces the uncomfortable prospect of deselecting Winston Churchill’s grandson.
WW2 spirit and all that

Crazy to think that some are calling the grandson of Churchill a traitor over this....

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: contextual

I think the whole deselection ethos goes against British democracy......but given the Momentum inspired deselection programme in Labour it can hardly criticise the Tories.

Yet another example of both sides being equally amoral, authoritarian and not fit for office.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: contextual
Sir Nicholas Soames says he will vote against the government tonight, boris therefore faces the uncomfortable prospect of deselecting Winston Churchill’s grandson.
WW2 spirit and all that

For comedy value I would love it if May voted against the government. Would BJ deselect a former PM?

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Freeborn

I think the whole deselection ethos goes against British democracy......but given the Momentum inspired deselection programme in Labour it can hardly criticise the Tories.

Yet another example of both sides being equally amoral, authoritarian and not fit for office.

Not a fan of momentum but don't think that really the same thing. That was a campaign have local branches change their candidate, not an autocratic decision by the Party leader.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Remainers plan to bring back the last version Theresa May's deal tomorrow to be voted on by the house.

BREAKING: 17 Labour MPs including @GloriaDePiero @SKinnock and @CarolineFlintMP plan to amend tomorrow's anti-No Deal bill (if the opposition win tonight) to call for the latest version of the @theresa_may deal to be put to parliament. Their full statement coming up
www.bbc.co.uk...

Looks like the coup is sealed in tonight's vote.

General Election impending.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex
Remainers plan to bring back the last version Theresa May's deal tomorrow to be voted on by the house.

BREAKING: 17 Labour MPs including @GloriaDePiero @SKinnock and @CarolineFlintMP plan to amend tomorrow's anti-No Deal bill (if the opposition win tonight) to call for the latest version of the @theresa_may deal to be put to parliament. Their full statement coming up
www.bbc.co.uk...

One of those things that you read and just think “what the #”

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

I think it is mate - both sides are totally unwilling to accept anyone in 'their' party with different views to theirs.

You have to wonder just how out of touch with rank and file and ordinary people these politicians are.
Regardless of how little we both think of Boris it has to be acknowledged that he was elected leader of The Conservative Party by an incredibly wide margin......yet he is ripping The Tory Party - and the country - apart.

Millions of Labour voters voted for Brexit yet they are trying to re-brand themselves as the Remain Party.

And please don't be fooled, there are literally millions of traditional Labour voters who will not vote for Labour if they do so......and there are many who will refuse to regardless as long as Corbyn is the party leader.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:24 PM
link   

www.bbc.co.uk...

That's the pro leave contingent of the Labour party.

Not remainers.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:30 PM
link   
So a 'deal' that was literally laughed out of The Commons not once but twice is now allegedly being regurgitated as the best option available for this country.

That 'deal' was so contemptuously dismissed for very good reason; it was the worst of both worlds.

But is this seriously the best our politicians can offer up?
The EU must be pissing themselves laughing even more than ever......what a #ing joke!

If parliament does accept this then it has to go to the people in a second vote and the options must be Deal or No Deal.
Remain can not be an option.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:30 PM
link   

I think it is mate - both sides are totally unwilling to accept anyone in 'their' party with different views to theirs.

You have to wonder just how out of touch with rank and file and ordinary people these politicians are.
Regardless of how little we both think of Boris it has to be acknowledged that he was elected leader of The Conservative Party by an incredibly wide margin......yet he is ripping The Tory Party - and the country - apart.

Millions of Labour voters voted for Brexit yet they are trying to re-brand themselves as the Remain Party.

And please don't be fooled, there are literally millions of traditional Labour voters who will not vote for Labour if they do so......and there are many who will refuse to regardless as long as Corbyn is the party leader.

Both Johnson and Corbyn are utterly unsuitable for the role of MP never mind PM.

There is a fundamental problem that we have a parliament, traditionally separated by party, trying to resolve an issue that is completely outwith normal party split at member/ supporter level.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:34 PM
link   

There is a fundamental problem that we have a parliament, traditionally separated by party, trying to resolve an issue that is completely outwith normal party split at member/ supporter level.

And it has so clearly shown how unfit for purpose our current party political system is and how we need urgent and radical reform.

I think I might have been getting carried away with the absurdity of todays events in my last vote.....surely that suggestion can not be taken seriously by anyone?

edit on 3/9/19 by Freeborn because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:40 PM
link   

www.bbc.co.uk...

I see the turkeys are voting for an early Christmas this year.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:40 PM
link   

And it has so clearly shown how unfit for purpose our current party political system is and how we need urgent and radical reform.

I think I might have been getting carried away with the absurdity of todays events in my last vote.....surely that suggestion can not be taken seriously by anyone?

There are a number of MPs who favour a deal, if Mays deal is the best available then they will push for that.

I assume they don't realistically think it will get the votes and is intended to make sone kind of point. Either that or they are hoping for desperation to find a resolution to kick in.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 03:57 PM
link   

If they were pro leave they'd be voting with the government , the deal they want to reintroduce takes us out of the EU negotiations but keeps us tied to the EU.
The majority of them are Northern MPs , the North voted for Brexit so I guess they're treading carefully.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:00 PM
link   

If they were pro leave they'd be voting with the government , the deal they want to reintroduce takes us out of the EU negotiations but keeps us tied to the EU.
The majority of them are Northern MPs , the North voted for Brexit so I guess they're treading carefully.

Pro leave with a deal.

Not 'remainers'

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Not 'remainers'

Essentially they are remainers , they want to placate their electorate with the illusion of Brexit without Brexit actually happening.

A deal on these terms will keep us in the EU with no say over the EU.

Not what I and others voted for,

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Not 'remainers'

Essentially they are remainers , they want to placate their electorate with the illusion of Brexit without Brexit actually happening.

A deal on these terms will keep us in the EU with no say over the EU.

Not what I and others voted for,

Might not be what you voted for but many people would choose leave with a deal.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:12 PM
link   
ayes have, not a good start for boris. pretty much calls for an election.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:17 PM
link   

some geezer was being interviewed on the radio earlier.............. he said two elections to come one in Oct 2019 and one in feb 2020

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:23 PM
link   

I'd have a guess and say that the vast majority of people who voted for Brexit would much prefer to leave with a deal.

But in the absence of any deal that even remotely looks like a meaningful Brexit freeing us from the shackles of Brussels then a No Deal is preferable to a bad deal.

Let's see what happens tomorrow because I suspect Corbyn will be #ting himself; he knows he'll be just as incapable of getting a good deal from the EU Commissars as May was.

As much as I hate saying it I think Johnson is our best chance of getting a decent deal from the EU.....but I think he's just as unsuitable a PM as Corbyn or whateverhername is in charge of the LibDems.

I despair for the future of this country.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join