It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reports: Boris poised to annouce a General Election.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Looks like we are in for the craziest week yet in British politics and given how crazy its been thats really saying something.

Also appears we could be kicking off the week with a spectacular announcement from Boris calling or a General Election with a Cabinet meeting due to start in about a hour or so that is being reported by the press to have discussions around calling for a general election high on the agenda.

Meanwhile we have those who oppose a no-deal Brexit ready to force through legislation that would extend Brexit for three months.

ohhh...and the government have basically said that any Conservative MPs who vote agains the government will risk deselection in other words they are saying they will sack their own MPs if they vote against the government whip.

This creates an utterly crazy situation in government. It seems like Boris is going to take this legislation passing as a vote of no confidence in his government and will then push for a general election. However under the Fix-Terms parliament act he needs two thirds majority to push this through and it seems unlikely he will be able to do that so he could pass legislation to force try to get the votes to push through a General Election. Not only that but its even been suggested that he could just ignore any legislation passed by parliament. To be clear this is the executive ignoring the legislative branch of government.

So yeah looks like Boris is about to attempt to trigger a general election any minute now, although its impossible to accurately predict anything right now.

The outcome of any general election would be next to impossible to predict.

sigh....the # up continues.
edit on 2-9-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Reports now is he isn't going to announce a General Election. Will be speaking at 6pm London Time.

I don't see why he would call for one. What's in it for him and Brexit?

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: OtherSideOfTheCoin
Meanwhile we have those who oppose a no-deal Brexit ready to force through legislation that would extend Brexit for three months.

It's not that most of these people oppose a "no-deal" Brexit, they oppose Brexit entirely. They would not vote for a deal if it was offered on a red cushion and smothered in honey. Another extension achieves nothing except prolongs the agony and reduces the chance of leaving.

On a General Election. Interesting times. One of the reasons why people dislike Boris is that he can be quite good, so he'll be in his element. The Labour Party will be split by the Liberals and the popularist nationalists in Scotland will use a General Election as a warm up for their second divisive referendum and major on their dislike of the Tories, read the English.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: Identified
Reports now is he isn't going to announce a General Election. Will be speaking at 6pm London Time.

Well he could use it to sleep walk us into Brexit under the fixed terms parliament act there is a minimum length that a campaign should last and that would take us beyond the 31st if he times it right so Brexit would just happen.

He might also believe that he could actually win and therefore increase his majority, currently the majority is 1 and it looks like its about to fall further so he is gong to be trying to work with a minority which isn't really possible.

There are a few benefits to a general election for him, he could beat Labour.

Time will tell, he might not announce his intention to push for a election but I think either way we are getting one before the end of the year.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: OtherSideOfTheCoin

I hope he does but doubt he will.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Identified

He needs a majority in Parliament but doesn't have one , Theresa May lost it.

He will call an election but I doubt it will be now , more likely next month I think.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

I hope he does but doubt he will.

Yeah am wondering if this is just the media getting over excited.

apparently they are saying that if the bill tomorrow passes then he will call a general election and it seems he will do so without the MPs who vote against the government.

#ing crazy.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 12:06 PM
link   
If he loses the vote tomorrow he will call an election, he's desperately whipping and threatening expulsion for anyone who dissents today.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: contextual
If he loses the vote tomorrow he will call an election, he's desperately whipping and threatening expulsion for anyone who dissents today.

I think its tomorrow that they will vote on the bill to extend Brexit.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Corbyn is desperate for an election and I am sure I read earlier would support any call for one.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tortuga
Corbyn is desperate for an election and I am sure I read earlier would support any call for one.

Yeah he basically said as much in his speech earlier today that he will support any calls for a general election despite Blair basically warning that it could be a trap.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 12:11 PM
link   
So he has just said no matter what he will not go to Brussels to ask for a extension, I read into that that he is saying even if legislation is passed he won't abide by the law.

He has said he doesn't want a election.

But my god listen to those protests outside the gates, I cannot remember ever having heard that.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 12:12 PM
link   

I understand what your saying but it sounds unnecessarily risky.

Seems Boris thinks the same thing as he just said he doesn't want an Election and will never ask for delay.

He plans to run out the clock which seems the most prudent action if he truly wants to get Brexit done.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Seems Boris thinks the same thing as he just said he doesn't want an Election and will never ask for delay.

He plans to run out the clock which seems the most prudent action if he truly wants to get Brexit done.

He is #ed.

A bill will pass tomorrow that will legally force him to go to Brussels and ask for a 3 month extension.

His view seems to be that this would "cut the legs from under government" and that it would in essence be a vote of no confidence in his government. Furthermore he has also said that he will refuse to do this, if he refuses to adhere to the legislation he is then pludging the UK into a even bigger crisis. His only real option would be to call a general election at that point.

I heard that as his lad plea to his own MPs to back the government or face an election.

I think that they could get a general election to pass through parliament in accordance with the fixed term parliament act, follow this I think before the end of the week he will table a motion to hold a general election. That gives us 25 days so we could have a election on the 14rh of October.
edit on 2-9-2019 by OtherSideOfTheCoin because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Yeah am wondering if this is just the media getting over excited.

apparently they are saying that if the bill tomorrow passes then he will call a general election and it seems he will do so without the MPs who vote against the government.
#ing crazy.

It's a perfect opportunity for Boris to do a stage left, his whole demeanour has been to dodge the job...the real nitty gritty of it, since he came to be The Prime Minister.
As for the media hyping things, they actually think that Boris is in a good position already, which is plausible, but only if Boris wants the job...I don't think he does, perhaps even more less now than ever, since his trips to Europe.
As for any election,
there's not much doubt that Corbyn has little chance of becoming a Prime Minister, he's much too far left for most stomachs. So it could be another crazy month ahead!

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 12:20 PM
link   

I agree and if forced I think he believes he could possibly hold back the election until after.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 12:22 PM
link   

He is #ed.

A bill will pass tomorrow that will legally force him to go to Brussels and ask for a 3 month extension.

His view seems to be that this would "cut the legs from under government" and that it would in essence be a vote of no confidence in his government. Furthermore he has also said that he will refuse to do this, if he refuses to adhere to the legislation he is then pludging the UK into a even bigger crisis. His only real option would be to call a general election at that point.

I heard that as his lad plea to his own MPs to back the government or face an election.

I think that they could get a general election to pass through parliament in accordance with the fixed term parliament act, follow this I think before the end of the week he will table a motion to hold a general election. That gives us 25 days so we could have a election on the 14rh of October.

My reading is that he is basically making any vote on delay effectively a vote of no confidence.

I doubt he thinks that will bring enough MPs back inline but allows him to frame any election as being forced on him.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 12:22 PM
link   

I agree and if forced I think he believes he could possibly hold back the election until after.

He could do that but the problem is that he needs to get it past parliament and parliament won't let him do it if he tables it for after the 31st of October.

So I think it will be the shortest possible campaign witch is legally 25 days so if its called by the end of the week we could have an entirely new government a week or two before the Brexit deadline.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: ScepticScot

He is #ed.

My reading is that he is basically making any vote on delay effectively a vote of no confidence.

I doubt he thinks that will bring enough MPs back inline but allows him to frame any election as being forced on him.

He has a majority of one in a coalition government there is zero chance that he is going to block this bill, all it takes is one or two of his own MPs to jump ship and plenty have came out saying they will do just that.

this speach was the last desperate plea of a desperate PM to whip his party to vote along government lines.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 12:26 PM
link   

So, a vote could get through before the 10th? I thought Parliament was being suspended on the 10th.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join