It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayonnaise or Sour cream?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: Boadicea

OMG yes! I love bouncing cooking ideas off each other. Great idea.

I love chicken enchiladas.

Me too!!! But that's so funny... after posting I thought, "Silly doesn't care what I'm going to do with it." But I was -- very happily -- wrong!

Have you ever made green chili chicken lasagna? Basically the same as enchiladas, but with lasagna pasta instead of tortillas, and Monterey Jack instead of Mozarella. I've had it with straight green enchilada sauce, but I like to mix the enchilada sauce with Alfredo sauce and some chopped fire roasted green chilis. Yum!

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 04:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

I don't understand how anyone could possibly confuse mayonnaise with sour cream!!

Mayonnaise is delicious! Sour cream is disgusting!

Mayonnaise is like sunshine. Sour cream is like...well, that present you discover your dog left you on the lawn when mowing.

Sour cream was cream once, but someone left it out in the broiling sun for a few days, then said..."hey, I've got an idea; let's eat this!!" MMMMmmmmmmm...**GAK!**

ETA - Sour cream tastes like someone already ate it once...and they didn't like it either!

edit on 9/2/2019 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Oleandra88

Here you get fries with mayo.
All other potato snacks like wedges, country potatoes, curly fries, they come with sour-cream normally.

Personally I prefer sour-cream.

Here? Where?

I have never seen or heard in my life anyone substituting sour cream for mayo or vise versa!

I can't even imagine mayo with any mexican food and I have a ton of mex friends and love the food.

Mayo on fries? Maybe if it is a sauce mix catsup/mayo but alone?

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Miracle Whip used to be like the poor man's mayo back in the day

Way less fattening!

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: operation mindcrime

Now to be honest in mexican restaurants here they serve the nachos with salsa and a white dip that is mayo based.
Its made with miracle whip this time because plain mayo doesnt work and sour cream and has cilantro and lime juice and red pepper flakes and is very very good also.
Here is a recipe for that dip. Try it next time you have nachos.
www.sarahhalstead.com...

Interesting recipe. Never seen that at a Mexican restaurant but I look forward to trying that recipe.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 07:58 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

I've cheated and used yogurt for sour cream once or twice.

Lol. I made chicken burritos once and afterwards realized I didn't have any sour cream. I ended up using some tzatziki I had from a Greek restaurant.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Strange they don’t get the two straight. But then again you all drink warm beer, call French fries chips and drive on the wrong side of the road, so.......no tell’n why. You kinda lost me at wanting mayo with your fries anyways, LOL. Love them with ranch though.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 04:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: mtnshredder
Strange they don’t get the two straight. But then again you all drink warm beer, call French fries chips and drive on the wrong side of the road, so.......no tell’n why. You kinda lost me at wanting mayo with your fries anyways, LOL. Love them with ranch though.

Ya big girls blouse ya...

Nowt wrong with a pint of Tets or John Smiths Hand pulled by a large anatomicaly endowed cheery barmaid (or her miserable sod of a boss) at room temperature and a bag of chips soggily drowned in salt n vinegar...

Ya big puff ya!

Saying that : I have now become posh as I live in France and only drink red wine and eat my French fries with REAL home made mayonnaise.

Lags

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 09:53 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 11:36 AM
link   
I still put mayo on Taco meat, sour cream is just too much most of the time. No Idea how they would mix them up though, but to be fair we just don't do much sour cream over here, I didn't even know what it was til I had my first Taco.

posted on Sep, 3 2019 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lagomorphe

originally posted by: mtnshredder

Ya big girls blouse ya...

Nowt wrong with a pint of Tets or John Smiths Hand pulled by a large anatomicaly endowed cheery barmaid (or her miserable sod of a boss) at room temperature and a bag of chips soggily drowned in salt n vinegar...

Ya big puff ya!

Saying that : I have now become posh as I live in France and only drink red wine and eat my French fries with REAL home made mayonnaise.

Lags

Pfft fake Brit Lags

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: SeaWorthy

Germany, they ask you "mayo or ketchup" for the fries. Some want both

I prefer sour cream too. If the fries are good I just need salt. No ketchup or anything else.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 08:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Oleandra88

Certain parts of the USA serve something called 'fry sauce'. It's basically mayo and ketchup. Then you get different add-ins depending on where you are, like Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, horseradish, garlic, pickle juice, paprika... lots of variations but it all starts with ketchup and mayo. Mostly mayo.

As to the original question, I've substituted Greek yogurt for sour cream. And I've substituted Miracle Whip for mayo. Miracle Whip is basically mayo with some zing. I actually prefer Miracle Whip on a turkey sandwich, but otherwise it's not a big factor in my repertoire.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 08:58 AM
link   

The only thing I ever use ketchup for is frankfurters, just doesn't do anything for me with other things. Mayo on chips is absolute heaven though, and we have this spice called ''American chip spice'' God I love that stuff on chips whenever I have had it.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 09:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: valiant

The only thing I ever use ketchup for is frankfurters, just doesn't do anything for me with other things. Mayo on chips is absolute heaven though, and we have this spice called ''American chip spice'' God I love that stuff on chips whenever I have had it.

I never heard of it before, but it seems to be a Brit thing.
Americanchipspiceco.uk

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 09:13 AM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

That's the one, I don't know about the south, but up north that stuff is as popular as salt, and is in almost every chip shop or take away I have been to.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: valiant
The only thing I ever use ketchup for is frankfurters,

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 10:00 AM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

Clint who?

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: yeahright

Certain parts of the USA serve something called 'fry sauce'. It's basically mayo and ketchup.

That's how it is in Puerto Rico. Between that and Chimichurri, it's their "salt and pepper" on tables, or so I was told.

posted on Sep, 4 2019 @ 10:51 AM
link   

If the fries are good I just need salt. No ketchup or anything else.

Plain, crispy fries with salt and pepper are absolute heaven. I never add or dip them in anything.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join