It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mayonnaise or Sour cream?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 07:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: acackohfcc
mayo
or
miracle whip?

Miracle Whip... it has the tangy zip.
That, or hot sauce.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 07:55 AM
link   
You obviously slipped into a different and horrifying alternate reality.

People not knowing the difference between mayo and sour cream? I've officially heard it all.

Did you make it back okay? Should we send help? That place is definitely unsafe. I pray you made it out ok.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme
a reply to: operation mindcrime

Here is a recipe for that dip. Try it next time you have nachos.
www.sarahhalstead.com...

Thank you! I will try it... that sounds yummy. Not just on nachos. I'm thinking it would be excellent with green chili chicken enchiladas too. We'll find out!

ETA: I think I might add some finely chopped green onions as well...
edit on 2-9-2019 by Boadicea because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 09:20 AM
link   
Sounds like the same type of person that would milk a bull

Some people should not be trusted with food

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I've never had that happen.
But, DAMN...they are like day and night!!! NO!!!!!!!!!
I could see mayo for miracle whip [salad dressing]...but even those are day and night.

I could see sour cream for yogurt, I've cheated and used yogurt for sour cream once or twice.

I have known people who could not tell the difference between butter and margarine, but figured they were heathens of some sort.

And, most of the time, I will NOT substitute store brands for the brand name. Often there are subtle ingredient differences. Not to mention quality and taste.
There are exceptions here, and YMMV.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 10:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hecate666
a reply to: Gothmog
ETA: Can't. How do you do it?

I can change the title.
What do you want it to be ?????

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Sour cream and mayo? Really?
Stupidity, thats why people mix them up.
Because they’re inbred imbeciles

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Hecate666

The issue may be a confusion between Salad Cream which is essentially Mayo/Miracle Whip and Sour Cream.

In England they use Salad Cream on many things such as fries and salad and such.

They don't really use Sour Cream which for many years was called Soured Cream in England and came in tiny little tubs with only enough to put on one "Jacket" potato. It was sold pretty much only for adding to sauces.

ETA they may also be serving you Creme Fraiche which is close to sour cream but not as tangy because it isn't cultured.

edit on 2-9-2019 by Identified because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: new_here

That's never happened to me. It's actually a dangerous mistake since some people are allergic to eggs. My sister is. She can't eat mayo anymore.

You know what, that is actually a very good point I didn't think about.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 12:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Identified

This all happened in England. One happened in Woolwich [London] and the other in Spalding. I have never got salad cream here with anything but salad.
I am a native German so I always eat my fries with mayonnaise and also use it on baked potatoes, I absolutely loooooove mayonnaise. I also love sour cream but it has to suit the meal, like Nachos.
I am still stumped how some people could get it wrong even after tasting it, like the landlady I complained to.
She ate the flaming sour cream [bland, fluffy] and told me it's mayonnaise.
I didn't want to argue as they sell good beer.

ETA: I have never seen Miracle Whip and don't know what it is. See it sometimes in American clips and always wondered what it was.
edit on 2-9-2019 by Hecate666 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Miracle Whip used to be like the poor man's mayo back in the day....it is no longer a cheap substitute for mayo. I have purchased it, but not in many years.....certainly before HFCS became demonized.
en.wikipedia.org...

It has a sweeter taste than mayo, and I think people on this side of the pond prefer one over the other.
Just as people seem to prefer either Kraft or Hellman's mayo.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Maybe they're also using something closer to Japanese kewpie mayo which is also sourer in taste?

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 01:00 PM
link   

In my experience most British people wouldn't know what proper Sour Cream even tastes like because they just don't eat it. But I don't know why they would confuse it for Mayo.

Also Salad Cream to me tastes different than Mayo but I've had enough people claim they are the same that I've given up on that with my British friends and family.

Miracle Whip is sort of a mayo with more zip. You can't confuse it with sour cream either if you know the taste of sour cream.

I don't know why folks are confusing the two but I never ask for sour cream in the UK because after years of living there I was tired of the confused looks. About the only place I saw it consistently was American owned chain style Mexican Restaurants.

Another alternative to sour cream in the UK is Greek Yogurt or Labna.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Boadicea

OMG yes! I love bouncing cooking ideas off each other. Great idea.

I love chicken enchiladas.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 02:13 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Oh god you made me laugh.. People who cant tell butter from margarine are heathens.

I agree. What is margarine good for besides putting in car locks in winter? LOL

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Miracle whip, think mayonnaise with sugar in it. Pretty much.
The only jar I ever bought was to make that mexican dip which also has sour cream in it.
I do not use it in place of mayo and we use a lot of mayo in my house.
I love it too.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 02:23 PM
link   
a reply to: DontTreadOnMe

Here in the south the big seller is Dukes Mayonnaise but I only buy Hellmans because I was raised on it.
And its $4.99 a jar unless you can find it on sale.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 02:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog

I used to put in on cheese sandwiches and scrambled eggs because I didn't like either when I was a kid.
And on liver, like a 1/4 cup because that needed some disguising real bad.

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Lagomorphe

I've made mayo from scratch but it still tastes too I dont know... Oily?

posted on Sep, 2 2019 @ 04:44 PM
link   
It would be hard to mix up the taste of Mayo and sour cream, they are not even close to the same thing. There has to be a name on the container, I think someone is just trying to cover up mistakes. Many people will not touch anything sour cream, they never even tasted it, but experienced the taste of soured milk and believe it tastes like that. Sour cream does not have the barnyard taste like soured milk has, different microbes are used to make it. Listeria sours milk and makes it taste Barny, like a barn smells.

I got some strange dressing on my fish sandwich a month ago, I talked to the waitress the next time we were there and she said the ranch dressing is right next to the tarter sauce and someone must have messed up. Ranch dressing does not go good on a fish sandwich, in fact, I wouldn't even order a salad at that place if that ranch was used on salads. It tasted too chemically.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join