It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. to states: School lunch changes none of your business

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

funny how the same states seem to sue the federal government about everything and anything the administration does.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: SoundOfZilvah
While I do agree that you should be able to care for a child before you get one, I know that will never happen. Poor people will still have kids, probably more than middle/upper class citizens.

These kids need to become something more than their parents, they need a good education to be able to contribute to society. For me every penny spent on a kid is an investment; when they grow up and get a job they will contribute more than the cost of education and so on.

It sounds like you believe that these children are responsible for their parents bad choices, even if don't believe it is how you feel. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

And I don't believe that loosening the regulations around lunches are a bad thing, because an eaten lunch is better than one in the bin.

I actually agree with everything you said, except one part.
We have a different belief in what makes these kids follow a different path?

I feel pretty secure in saying free lunches, welfare, section 8 housing, etc has not lessened the reliance on those programs. If anything usage has grown. Right now people just see it as "free" and deserved. It is neither.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Lol, the OP never came back.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 03:20 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

Yes.

It used to be that there was an element of shame or stigma attached to needing one of those programs. That provided an impetus for people who had to go on one to get off of it as soon as possible and make do on their own. It was an element of pride.

At some point, bleeding hearts campaigned to destigmatize social programs because it was wrong to shame people for not being self-sustaining. At that point, attitudes started to change and people started to decide that they deserved the welfare instead of it being something they wanted to get away from as soon as possible. It become something they were entitled to rather than something they had to lower themselves to take.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 03:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

While I don't believe in "free" in terms of adults, I take a different stance on children. They need to have means to grow beyond their heritage, and people with poor judgement make poor parents. I believe that we as a society can remedy that to a degree, and I believe we have to. Otherwise our children will have to care for them and their children and so forth..

edit on 27-8-2019 by SoundOfZilvah because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-8-2019 by SoundOfZilvah because: Can't see my post?

edit on 27-8-2019 by SoundOfZilvah because: (no reason given)

link   
a reply to: ketsuko

That is the exact reason some schools started doing all free lunches, the stigma.

I know food and kids, that is a touchy subject. If I ever had a soft spot that would be it. Nobody wants to see kids hungry.
The bad thing is that the parents are the ones that should be feeling it, not other people.

We need to bring shame, and personal responsibility back into the fold of American life. I'm really sick of the "it's not my fault"

If you are making min wage, you should not consider for one single second of having a child. You really shouldn't.

link   

While I don't believe in "free" in terms of adults, I take a different stance on children. They need to have means to grow beyond their heritage, and people with poor judgement make poor parents. I believe that we as a society can remedy that to a degree, and I believe we have to. Otherwise our children will have to care for them and their children and so forth..

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 03:30 PM
link   
If the linked story is correct, I dont see how the states have a case..
The fed regulations are just the minimum standards, the states can add to those standards if they wish, require fat free milk if they want ect.
At least that is what the article says.
States rights and all that bit..
You can make your states lunch program as healthy as you like, but as long as your neighboring state if meeting the minimum standards set by the fed govt, you're just gonna have to grin and bare it.. after all, your making your kids grin and bare those school lunches!

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 03:33 PM
link   

While I do agree that you should be able to care for a child before you get one, I know that will never happen. Poor people will still have kids, probably more than middle/upper class citizens.

These kids need to become something more than their parents, they need a good education to be able to contribute to society. For me every penny spent on a kid is an investment; when they grow up and get a job they will contribute more than the cost of education and so on.

It sounds like you believe that these children are responsible for their parents bad choices, even if don't believe it is how you feel. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

And I don't believe that loosening the regulations around lunches are a bad thing, because an eaten lunch is better than one in the bin.

I actually agree with everything you said, except one part.
We have a different belief in what makes these kids follow a different path?

I feel pretty secure in saying free lunches, welfare, section 8 housing, etc has not lessened the reliance on those programs. If anything usage has grown. Right now people just see it as "free" and deserved. It is neither.

My answer just got totally blank..
Any idea why?

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 03:34 PM
link   
The bad thing is that the parents are the ones that should be feeling it, not other people.

a reply to: ketsuko

That is the exact reason some schools started doing all free lunches, the stigma.

I know food and kids, that is a touchy subject. If I ever had a soft spot that would be it. Nobody wants to see kids hungry.

We need to bring shame, and personal responsibility back into the fold of American life. I'm really sick of the "it's not my fault"

Bingo! All of it. Our district has thousands in unpaid lunch bills and the administration will NOT take the parents to court when they refuse to pay. And some of them do refuse. It's ridiculous. We would never have taken advantage of the school when our kids were young and neither would our parents have. It would have been shameful to do so (along with a myriad of other behaviors that are "normal" today) back then. It should be that way again.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Duderino

Concentration camps? Get a grip man. That doesn't help your argument at all.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

That's funny, one day I was on duty on the lunch room and I asked a girl why she wasn't eating her lunch.
"I'm not eating that it's prison food"
Since she was in middle school I asked "How do you know what prison food is like?"
"because my brother is in prison and he said the food is the same."

I didn't bother her about not eating her lunch again.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I had thought you posted this Video
www.youtube.com... if not, I think another ATS member did, 'cause I'd like to give credit to them. But school lunches don't even compare to what illegal immigrant children are getting. and that should "Piss off the Pope"

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 05:08 PM
link   

I don't know if the states should be suing about this but I believe that they should have the power to do so if they choose.

I don't like the feds telling the states what they can an can not do. A little bit of power over the states is understandable.

Less power to the feds more power to the states I say.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 05:12 PM
link   
a reply to: HalWesten

The really embarrassing thing? Our local TV station did a piece on parents who refuse to pay and most of them could easily afford to do it, only a fraction of them actually qualified for free or reduced lunches.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 05:14 PM
link   
a reply to: scraedtosleep

Pay attention!

The states are suing because the Fed loosened restrictions, so yeah, less power just like you're on about, and these states are upset because other states are taking advantage of those looser rules.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: shooterbrody

Sad place for the usa to be in.

The usa I know and love used to help each other.

Feeding hungry children healthy meals is what I want my tax money to go to.
The healthier our population is the stronger our country becomes.

I read that the military had to lower the physical fitness level they require for service. Of course that's not entirely based on healthy school food but the school food is for a lot of kids their only meals during the school day. So it is a part of it.

If you want to hate on the parents go ahead but why mess with the kids?
We are creating a weaker future because we are ourselves to weak to help others today.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 05:18 PM
link   

It looks like the cruelty of our government has no bounds.

Incorrect, its 'bounds' are limited to the time Nov 9th 2008 - Nov 7th 2016 where Obama was caught throwing immigrant kids in cages, unleashing the IRS on conservatives and gun running through the Mexican border (no wonder they hate the idea of a wall).

Since Nov 9th 2016, Trump has exposed the cruelty of the Obama administration and Hillarys run for the planets highest death count via the oval office.

My hope is that come 2020, the democrats are outlawed as a hate group and anyone who supports them are jailed for treason.

Democrats love globalism and open borders - the antithesis of the US Constitution.

Facts - chew slowly, they can be hard to swallow.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Duderino
Does it concern you now that it's a bit closer to our own kids?

No, I homeschool... good on the feds for properly handling at least this small component of our tax dowry.

posted on Aug, 27 2019 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

Awesome.

ty.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join